Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New Violets!

Posted by armygrdnr none (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 14, 12 at 18:30

So while I was perusing my local Lowe's for some organic fertilizer I saw a couple of Optimara Violets that I really liked so I picked them up. Here are some pictures of them.

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

The white with a streak of blue one is my new favorite. It's really busy inside the crown and I was wondering if that was a good thing or something that needs to be fixed?
Photobucket

Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New Violets!

So pretty! The crown looks it might have suckers, but it is hard to tell from the picture.

o

I love the pink one. For me the challenge remains to get them to produce as many blooms as they had from the store, the next time they bloom - under my conditions.

o

The top pink one is Rhapsodie Michelle from the Rhapsodie girl series and the second blue and white one is Hiroshige from the Artist Palette series. You can check them out at Selective Gardener.

Here is a link that might be useful: Selective Gardener

o

Thanks everyone! Suecirish- thanks for the ID's, I looked up Hiroshige and I hope mine doesn't change colors like the one on the site. I really like the subtle blue streak on the petals. This is also the one that has lots and lots of tiny little leaves inside the crown.

o

Hey armygrdnr ...

Looks like some nice picks ...

I've grown Hiroshige for years and it will keep the blue as long as it isn't grown too cool. I've purchased them (from Lowes) completely white, but once they get in my warmer environs, the blue shows up and doesn't go away.

Also, it's a very robust plant and likes to sucker (produce new plants). I try and keep mine separated out, but, if you let them attain some size before you do, you'll have new plants from the divisions.

One more thing about Hiroshige, it tends to become upswept in shape unless it gets adequate light.

o

You have suckers galore. If you want more Hiroshige plants - wait another month to pop and root them - if you remove the very lower leaves - it is easier - I use narrow blade xacto knife to cut them off. If you have enough of this variety - long tip tweezers are good to get them out, vut you can poke them off with something else.

I.

o

Thanks for the replies everyone! I am excited to see how these fare. I want to make sure I can take care of these before I get too addicted and start ordering good plants.

o

• Posted by seaj none (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 17, 12 at 7:51

I think I have the same Optimara violet as the one in your first picture. I love it! Of the 5 different Optimara violets I have, it's the one that blooms the most consistently and its growth habit is very balanced and symmetrical.

o

I have the pink one too. But I didn't know its variety name. Glad someone did and posted that info.

o

How interesting! I saw both the pink one and the white with pale blue at my local grocery store on Friday. I was really tempted to buy them both, but I refrained, since I just got a bunch of new leaves to root. I don't have any more room for new adult plants right now.

But yours look really nice, and now my wheels are turning, thinking of how I might be able to rearrange things to make room for just one more ...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here