Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Tiger!!

jerome
12 years ago

I saw this variety on eBay and think it is magnificent.

Comments (14)

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Yes, and I found it easy to grow. If the seller is Bluemountainviolets you will get a very nice plant.

Linda

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You are right Linda. The plant he was offering was amazing.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

It is a very good oldie with a wonderful variegation. LARGE.

It doesn't bloom all the time - it blooms, takes rest, blooms again.
    I would suggest to put a leaf down as soon as you get your plant. Your home grown "Tiger" - or "Tiger's Son" - another gorgeous variety by Irene Fredette - will always beat the "imported one".

Irina

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I want it very much...but I didn't get the one offered on eBay...and it's too late :-)

• irina_co
    12 years ago

You can order leaves for both Tiger and Tiger 's Son at Cedar Creek Violets - and they carry lots of interesting oldies - plus David Rollins is a hybridizer himself.

Irina

Here is a link that might be useful: cedar creek violets

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Is it hard to root leaves for a complete newbie? I am terrified at the prospect.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Nope, not hard to root leaves. Have you checked out the African violet FAQ? It will answer a ton of your questions and give simple instructions. When you cut the leaf just make the cut angle to the front of the leaf; you don't want babies growing behind.

Linda

From the AV FAQ:

How can I propagate an African violet by leaf cutting?

1. Choose a healthy leaf from the second or third row of your African violet plant..
    2. Cut stem at 45 degree angle and place in damp potting soil. (Leaves placed in water or vermiculite will make water roots or vermiculite roots and will take longer to adjust to soil.)
    3. Cut off top 1/3 of leaf. Place with name tag if available. Put plastic sack over pot for a week or so.
    4. Place pot in indirect light from a window or under florescent lights.
    5. Babies should start growing within 4-6 weeks. When babies are about 2 inches tall, or have at least 4 leaves per plantlet, separate and put each into individual pots. Place plastic on these for about a week. Then treat as mature plants.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the advice. I'll give it a try....Tiger sure does look nice.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Jerome -

before you try to root Tiger - try to root the leaves from the plants you already have - just for practice.

I use 1:1:1 soil for rooting, the same as for the mature plants - but I heard people had good luck just sticking them in reconstituted Jiffy pellets and keeping them covered - in a angel food cake container for example.

Good Luck

I.

• netcub
    10 years ago

Heres Mine!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Gorgeous!

• KrissyW
    10 years ago

I would love to see the flower on this baby!!

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I have babies of Tiger coming along now and really look forward to seeing the blooms.

• LunRTwilight
    10 years ago

Oh my! How beautiful! I have not seen any as beautiful as this one! Most I've seen have mostly green leaves with only a few spots of the whiter color. Are you possibly selling leaves? Please let me know!