Not quite there yet....

Karin
9 years ago

But sooooo close!
The first bud of my "NOID cross surprise". I am thrilled :-D

Comments (72)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Wonderful, congratulations! Good strong, vivid color. Seems to have a raspberry color edge , maybe from one if the parent plants .

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Oct 30, 14 at 23:17

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    9 years ago

It looks like it has good substance and nice shape. I can't wait to see the others!

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanne, i think the dark edge is caused by the lighting - it is slightly backlit and the edge curling forward creates a bit of a shadow...

And here is its first sibling... a bit plainer, but still has specks of white around the edge...

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Yay! For a first attempt I think they're great, yes I can see the white spotting some frilling. Hopefully some of the other siblings will have more exotic looks, exciting!

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, i am a bit underwhelmed, but looking at the parents, they don't have much latitude in which way to go. (unless there are some surprises tucked away in their ancestry)

R. Natalie is a single (?) frilled star blue/purple with geneva edge.
    O. New Jersey is a single two-tone pink.

Given the star shape, geneva edge and purple color are supposed to be dominant traits, at least 50% of the offspring will probably go that way. though apparently so far i am not seeing much star shape. (ha ha, with only two examples so far).

so, let's wait for a pink/red, star shape bloom with geneva edge, frilled, over medium green foliage with red veining. there are only hundreds more to wait for/choose from ;-)

Karin

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin
    I saw a photo of a show in NJ in which all the offspring of
    a cross were displayed. There were probably 20 results
    that were blooming at the time, each one wildly different from the other.

I thought pansy shape and purple solid were dominant.
    Anyway, they are apply little flowers! You can't really beat
    a rich purple! They do seem to have some pink in the coloring, they look to be a warm purple, not a blue-violet.

By the way, do you have Halloween on Oct 31 in Canada?

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Aye, we have Halloween here on Oct.31st,

sheesh! way too much sugar I think, I'm feeling jittery today or maybe not enough coffee yet...

we'll just have to wait for the next couple hundred to bloom to see :D

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Aye, same here, too much sugar, not enough coffee! I was wondering how many you have to bloom !

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

There never is enough coffee ;-) and up until about two years ago, I believed there was no such thing as too much sugar. Huh then you start counting carbs and they are EVERYWHERE!

As for how many seedlings I have to bloom - all but a handful that sprouted. I've got two ice cube trays, about 50 shotglasses, 6 small pots and a tray that isn't even separated yet. Then there are two ice cube trays planted double (2 per compartment) of my other cross. I wish there were some droppers so I could toss them for the extra space. So far, the first two are holding on.

Next one coming up should bloom in about a week.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Thanks for the update! When I stopped by Peets yesterday, I had the same thought as did many others. If we could get the AVs to smell like coffee, we would be in business, the demand would be great. AVs are very accommodating to people. No hybridizer has developed a scent for them because no one has decided what they should smell like. When I first got busy on this forum, I read to take good care of the plants in case anyone visits, to "enable" them to get hooked, the plants should look happy and well cared for. So I took that a little too literally! I posted a photo on the Gallery of how I spent my extra hour today! Best, Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Wed, Nov 19, 14 at 23:39

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

No chocolate smelling av's here - yet. maybe i should try cocoa powder instead of pollen :-p

here is seedling #3, and a bunch of others will be coming up soon.
    #2 is indecisive about being a dropper, the others seem to stick.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#1 is doing rather well since i've repotted it. (natural light)

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

and here it is photographed with a flash. ( for people who think photography is oh so accurate) - hard to believe it is the same plant.

The color, for reference, is very much like Rhapsodie Natalie. The white border has gone MIA though.

• sueok_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, they look so happy and healthy, besides beautiful! Thanks for keeping us posted on their progress!
    Sue

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Karin, #1 has the fringed edge. Must be the girl. Very pretty. Welcome to the long-awaited cheerful little blue guys and gals. Shall we name #1 Smurfette, #2 Bashful Smurf, #3 Doc Smurf?!

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

LOL Joanne!

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

:) smurfs are a cute name for them... and they/it's gorgeous. I love the way they look. Are they a cool blue/purple or a warm purple?

I find the difference in color between flowers and cameras/computers to be the most frustrating thing. I'm thinking of using Benjamin Moore paint chips to explain which color i'm trying to photograph. I was thinking of Pantone swatches but they're sooooo expensive and 99.9% of people wouldn't have them on hand.... and I love Benjamin Moore... but I digress.

I love the leaves too ... a bright happy/healthy green. Perfect.

And they do well in natural light too.... wow, even better.

Silvana.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I actually grow most of them under lights - not enough space, and now warmth, in the windows...

as for the color - i keep thinking they are purple, then i move them around and they are blue... Natalie or Little inca are similar in color i think. under the daylight tubes they are blue :-)

i'm not quite that much into color matching, unless i am printing ;-p

Karin

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

ah...lights... the next irreversible step ....

funny enough I just bought one like this ... I call it dark Indigo ...

regardless if your violet is a purple blue or a blue purple it is still pretty and the leaves have a pleasing contrast with the petals.

silvana.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Silvana, paint color chips are fun to play with! They never have the subtlety or vibrancy of a live violet, though. The blue violets change color with the lighting. The camera does not capture blue as true as we would like. The human eye can detect more subtle differences in shades of blue than in shades of red. Insects, however, detect more differences in shades of red.
    Joanne

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

thanks Joanne ... very interesting :)

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Karin, So does that mean you can start culling the herd? ;)

Aye, lights are reserved for Av's only!
    Aloe Chinensis, mini roses, hyacinth are relegated to south facing window. (on the plus side, aloe's in bloom, so it seems to enjoy where it is)

I have to take some where in the ballpark of 100 pics per plant, then sort through them to find the one or two I like (and are relatively close to the colour I was trying to capture.â¦), doesn't help that I do not have a tripod and only a "P&S" camera >.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well, I am debating tossing seedling #2, but go figure, I am getting attached to those plants. #1 will always have sentimental value ;-)
    Whenever I read up on hybridizing, it said there would be oh so many droppers. Well, I don't think any of mine are dropping yet. I wasn't sure about #2, I was able to pull two blooms off, but the rest are stubbornly sticking. So dropping doesnt qualify as a reason to toss them just yet. Still, I know I have to get rid of some of them.... Ah decisions decisions. At least, with them all looking fairly similar, I won't be missing out on much ;-p

Next bloom looks a few days off... And guess what, I think it will be blue too ;-)

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

#4 - finally a star shaped blossom!

=D

(don't let the color fool you - it really is the same as the others, just under a different light bulb)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Smurfville! You are building a village and a star is born!

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

lol .... Joanne....

beautiful Karin ... it's very pretty .... :)

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Joanne, you're playing too much smurfs village!
    (but then, so am i)

So the first one is smurfette, and this one would be astro smurf.
    now i wonder if the name "smurf" is copyrighted, shouldn't be a problem though, until i register my oh-so-special violets and make millions ;-p

Kairn

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Now you have to breed that one out (and propagate?) To see if it holds true :D

Smurfs?! Long time since I've seen them 0.o

Lalalaalalala lalaalalaaallaa!

I'll vote for AstroSmurf

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I'm certainly keeping seedling #1 until the next bloom cycle, it did throw a decent head of blooms. It is disbudded now so I can evaluate the foliage.

I like the blossom shape on #4, AstroSmurf, but it looks like there may only be one bloom per blossom stem, so I am eyeing other plants to cross it with. And debating on a back-cross with Natalie. Natalie herself doesn't have the highest bloom count, but still produces a decent bouquet....

I won't test for stability until I've found one I am totally happy with :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Smurphs. If they are Irish, then S 'Murphs. Or in your case, S'Mores. Handyman Smurf is ready to remove suckers. Viking smurf is bravely disbudding Scandal. So that hard hat architect smurf can measure all the leaves. One leaf per smurf and no crowding. Gold coin smurf is hiding Karin's gold doubloons.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 23:03

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Mustn't forget Smurfette ready to catch the flowers.

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 23:17

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Lol, I had so many of those things when I was a kid! My favourite was the astronaut, with the plastic bubble around his head :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Apologies that they are upside down. Astro Smurf is cool, but he must be in orbit, could not find him for the photo shoot. The photo was taken with a flash, the flowers are not that bright in color.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

GRRRR, there i get nearly 2" star shaped blossoms, and they DROP!?!?! after only about one week....

Still, i'm keeping it for a while....

• cdnanon
    9 years ago

Bad flower! Bad!
    Gotta put it in the corner and tell it how disappointed you are with it,
    need to be stern with it. Only way it'll learn... ;)

So sorry to hear about the dropper >.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

So much for my illusion that only the "plain" ones drop...

Still, I have two more opening up today, one is obviously going to be a star shape as well, the other probably pansy...

I've got to make room to get all the plants out of the window sill, so i'll probably be much quicker discarding them if they aren't any improvement over the first ones. Color wise they are all the same, so on my next cross i have to pick more interesting parents...

(sporty x snowy egret is coming up ;-) )

• shallons
    9 years ago

Take heart Karin - and give the culls to Joanne. She can take them next time she goes shopping and offer them as samples to unwary passers by. We'll have more converts and they'll be so enthralled with the glittery blooms they'll forgive the dropsies. :)

Shallon

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Flower-dropping is a genetic tendency will has been largely bred out of commercially available violets.

I once grew Bubblegum Charm, ... which, unfortunately, has this tendency ...

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have a bunch of mini trailers that drop, and there i don't mind it too much, since they have plenty of blossoms.
    this one only has one blossom per stem, so the bloom count dropped by 1/4 when the first one went :-p
    Size and shape are great, but the bloom count and dropping habit make it "replaceable". - Actually a good thing, so i don't have to keep them all, just the ones that look "as nice" without dropping.

LoL, i bet Joanne WOULD find takers for them all....

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Sure wish I could gather up all the strays! I am going to my club's Christmas party and am busily separating and potting up babies for gifts! Joanne

• Julia (1meanmop)
    9 years ago

Send them to Oklahoma. My children said I love my plants more than them. my response of course they dont talk back.

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Next star bloom turned out a wee tad wonky....

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And another pansy...
    I don't suppose i'll keep either....

• shallons
    9 years ago

I have a dropper - Feather - a vintage Fredette. The blooms fascinate me and do stay on for weeks (two or three) at least before letting go. I forgive its bad habit in favor of the ruffly foliage and engagning blossoms. That and it seems to bloom incessantly, which is a very GOOD habit. :)

What a delightful project to have created babies. I'm quite sure I'll never do such a thing and am impressed with your patience. It's great fun to follow along as you post progress, so I look forward to each new entry. The flowers are pretty and maybe even the tad wonky one will bloom aright next time.

We were at a big box store shopping for appliances last night and saw the violets across the way looking sad in front of the exterior door and DB (boyfriend, not husband) said "they look so plain" ... having never experienced exhibition varieties before my collection he now views the commercial offerings in a whole new way. Even your plainest purple pansy is still a pretty thing with great color and from what I could see in the picture, had nice flat foliage with shapely leaves.

I've considered taking my spare plants to work and putting them on my desk with a sign "free to good home" to see if I get any takers. Haven't done it yet, but I might... hee hee

• Karin
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Yeah, I've considered decorating "my" apartment building, in the hopes people will take them, but somehow I am possessive about the pots. Silly, I know.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Hi, Karin, and Shallon,

My philosophy is to share the "wealth," the plants are so generous with us, why not share the joy!

Welcome to the newest "Smurphs," they are very cute! Often, the later bloom cycles are more true and prolific than the initial ones. Years ago, all violets dropped blooms. The "stick-tite" feature is a later development patented by Holtkamp.

When I donate violets to people who are not familiar with the care, they frequently ask if they should pick off the dead blooms.

As for the pots, I know what you mean, I "hoarded" a particular size and shape, (2.5" square). But when I stopped worrying about the pots when I gave plants away, I learned they were quite unpopular in my AV club and people repotted into round pots and gave back the square without my asking! They also gave me all their square pots they were going to throw away. So now I have a lot more squares than ever. So, as the saying goes, "cast your bread upon the waters," something better or at least different will come back to you!
    @Shallon, Regarding the office, that is a favorite way to "innocently" start an addiction, er, hobby! That happened in my office and was how I got hooked. The office manager started it, and soon, everyone was collecting and growing and chatting about AVs!
    I have found that people also appreciate getting a little "cheat sheet" with tips on AV care because the care is different than most other houseplants. I also include a color scan of what the plant looks like in bloom. Don't forget to tell them the NAME! People are tickled to know that their violet has a name and is a specialty hybrid. They are more likely to care for it properly.
    Joanne

• Julia (1meanmop)
    9 years ago

Is there such a thing as a spare plant? My goal is to have a blooming plant in my house all year long.
    If I lived close to Shallons or froeschli I would adopt all your extras.
    But since I dont have you thought about gifting them to a Nursing home or senior citizens home? I have been to several nursing homes and was quiet surprised by the number of plants some residents have in their rooms. They might bring extra joy to someone else's day.

• shallons
    9 years ago

Oh yes - the nursing home is a fabulous idea - especially at this time of year - yes yes!!! :) Although...I'd really like to get them all blooming so I can give them to their new homes with a bright bouquet going on. Only about half are in bloom currently and I love that idea Meanmop! I may wait until Easter or Mother's day - some time when the plants are brighter than just foliage.

I don't really have "extra" plants ... I just have too many to fit comfortably on the shelves and I PROMISED they wouldn't take over the house. So ... I need to find new places for my least favorites to go. They are all named varieties. Mostly from Lyons but also from Travis and Fancy Bloomers and Ebay and even the local AV club...but none from the big box or grocery store. It may be cold hearted, but I don't even hesitate when passing those displays. Feel bad for the plants but not enough to risk bringing ick into my happy collection or give up a pot space.

Joanne, I have to chuckle...I am the Office Manager at my work and have a reputation for instigating things...maybe it's an Office Manager trait to be a trend setter! I have a large variegated peace lily in a pot on one corner of my desk, a pot of ? with pink stripes and a wandering jew on another corner and a Christmas Cactus in full neon pink bloom on the filing cabinet...all we need is some AV's to bring in more color.

In reading the other string about a care cheat sheet, I hand to chuckle again - it seems many of us are of like mind. I was an art student at university, majoring in drawing and painting. Hee hee!

It seem Karin and everyone else's green thumbs have worn off electronically. I have tried many times to start babies from leaves and always end up with mush. Well...Travis gave me a couple of leaves for a variety I wanted (in plant form) but he didn't have in stock. I faithfully put them down and bagged them expecting more rotten cuttings but today, three months later, I noticed that the soil is practically exploding with mouse ears! Holy cow! There are two leaves in a 2-1/2" pot and I don't know how many plantlets there are...it's hard to tell because it looks like the entire surface of the potting medium is erupting! Thanks everyone! I'm going to be doing my reading on how to separate and plant babies so that these survive. Yippee!!

Shallon

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

Those who grow African Violet for show/competition dislike the square pots because they think that they interfere with the desired round shaping of the foliage.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Regarding the square pots, that is exactly what my club prez and VP say!
    I appreciate your comments to verify. Once the plants are past the first six months, i move them to standard 3" or 4" pots. Meanwhile, I am squinting and getting cross-eyed looking at my plants to try to discern the difference.
    @ Shallon, I think you are right about the office manager! Your desk area sounds gorgeous. I have been known to stick artificial silk flowers in the pots until the flowers bud when giving them away at Christmas.
    If you would want to send me any of your surplus, I would be happy to have them. However, I know packing and shipping is time consuming, so I would compensate. I live in northern Cal so weather is not an issue.
    Regarding art and violets, I would like to write or edit a book about aspects of violets that are more artistic and intriguing to appeal to a wider audience. I used to be a writer about plants and flowers for commercial sales. Maybe we can collaborate with all the photographers and artists on the forum.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm