Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
AV pots...how to use them?

Posted by dirtygardener73 (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 12, 10 at 19:02

I have a couple of beautiful AV pots I got at a thrift store very cheap, and I potted up my only two standard violets in them, and lost them both!

I mixed 1/3 perlite with AV soil, as usual, and planted, watered, and added water to the reservoir. It seems the soil stayed too wet, and now they are dead. I managed to salvage a couple of leaves from them, but I'm just heartbroken!

What is the proper way to water with these things? I thought that they were designed not to keep the soil too wet. Perhaps this is why the person gave them away!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: AV pots...how to use them?

Are they ceramic self watering pots? If so, those let WAY too much water in, even if your soil mixture is light. If you're looking for a good self-watering AV pot, order some Oyama pots. They are all I use and I would never go back to any other pot. Hope you can grow some beauties from your leaves!

o

I've had luck with them if I mix more perlite into the soil mix, needs to be really light... then put about an inch of perlite into the bottom of the top part before I plant the violet. Then only keep some water in the bottom well, so it won't absorb too much and stay too wet. My Aunt made some for me, so with some trial and error I got them to work. Repotting is key too because the fertilizer salts don't wash out of the soil. One last thing is if you are buying the store violets, be sure to wash off as much peat from the roots as you can...this will rot the plant very quickly in the ceramic planters.

I love the oyama planters, they work really good for me.

tish

o

Thanks for your replies. I'll add more perlite and add some to the bottom and see if that helps. I always soak the roots of store-bought plants and remove most of the medium, because it is mostly peat moss anyway. I'm sorry to have lost the plants, but oh well, live and learn.

o

I use half perilite and half peat- this has worked well with these pots, the biggest issue is not letting things go to long before repotting them. I am switching some of my AV to standard pots with humidity trays as a test-

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here