Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
judyj_gw

What do you use to identify bugs?

judyj
9 years ago

Recently we had a thread on bugs and the insecticides to use. When I found a couple bugs, I was unable to see them well enough to identify them!

Several folk pointed out that a jeweler's loup is the best tool.

Can you please share what magnification you have- and what you think best about it? There are many online, but I"m not sure what to order.

Also, does anyone prefer a microscope over a loup? Just thought I'd check what folk have to input on this! My eyesight isn't great, even with my glasses on (yes, time for new glasses, but it's pricey!)! :-)

Any input would be greatly received! Thank you so much!

Best,
Judy

Comments (16)

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Judy

The days when I could read the fine print at 20 paces are long gone for me also.

The words written on my loupe are "5 Elements." The magnification is worn off but I believe it says 10x - 18 mm and 20x- 12 mm.

I have no idea what that means but it works for me. I can see fairly small bugs with that loupe but maybe the bugs would be quite large to someone with better eyesight.

I have read that a microscope is handy when mites are suspected but if you can see the bugs and not just the symptoms, then a loupe should be sufficient .

This post was edited by lucky123 on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 20:48

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Judy, the highest magnification you would ever need to identify critters on houseplants is 10X ; even 5X is useful. Most jeweler's loupes come in 10X. Be sure that you don't get one of those dinky little things that give you a teensy field of vision.

A 10X will allow you to see mites with ease.

You should be able to find perfectly adequate magnifying lenses of some kind for less than ten bucks. The larger the lens and the higher the quality of the materials, the more expensive it will be.

You absolutely do not need a microscope!

(Edited to greet my honorary 'cousin' Lucky. Lucky, I didn't see your post before I submitted my response. Hope you're doing great!)

This post was edited by rhizo_1 on Fri, Oct 3, 14 at 20:56

• Karin
    9 years ago

I'm short sighted - I can see tiny bugs, but not read at arms length.

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We often have microscopes here-is that weird or what? :-) We're both engineers and my DH has always worked in the microelectronics industry! He gets those often given to him from the industry and sells them on ebay! Sometimes at my request because some of them are LARGE! Sadly (or maybe not!), we don't have any right now.

Let me take a look at the 10x magnification-I'm not sure that will work, but I"m not sure what our current magnifying lens is at-at least 10X I would have thought!

So Karin, maybe you should come here and take a look? :-) LOL!

I can see 200 feet out but can't focus on a tiny bug!
    Best,
    Judy

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Glad you clarified you are far sighted. I am near sighted so I can see very tiny bugs. Lavender is supposed to be a bug deterrent, though wild bees love it.

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Judyj, been following your threads - you ask good questions. :-) Here's one concerning the choice of a jeweler's loupe: does anyone feel that the (LED) lighted ones are a great advantage over the non-lighted loupes? I wear bi-focals and sometimes even with my glasses I cannot see distinctly unless the light is bright. Of course, I would be looking at plants by the bright lights of my stand, but still - just wondering if the additional light feature is a good or important thing to you?
    Anne

• terrilou
    9 years ago

To find mites, I use the Micro-Mite pocket microscope I purchased back in the 80's. It was sold through AV magazines but most likely no longer produced. Its a slender tube less than 5" and is 20x. . . excellent for looking into the crown.

Terri

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Hi Anne,

I wear bifocals too (far-sighted but even that's starting to fail!). My preference is going to be one with an LED on it. The LED lights from our magnifying glass help quite a bit. That may not be so with a jeweler's loup though. Since I'll likely order one today, I'll let you know how it works!

Best,
    Judy

• aegis1000
    9 years ago

It's easier to identify the common maladies of African Violets, ... some of which are caused by bugs/insects.

Usually, the only "bugs" that you can see that are a problem are Thrips.

Anything else, and you'll see the plant effects BEFORE you see the bugs.

• lucky123
    9 years ago

I can see fungus gnats. Fungus gnats are ubiquitous, inside, outside, upside, downside.
    I can control the adults with screens, sprays, sticky tapes, vacuum cleaner but the grubs?
    I made tobacco tea. I boil the tobacco in water and pour the cooled water through the plants. The geraniums I topped dressed with tobacco cured in the oven until almost ignited, to get rid of tobacco mosaic. So far, no adult or grub gnats in the geraniums but I hesitate with the AV's. The AV's are not as susceptible to fungus gnats and I do not do any insecticide action until and unless I am certain of many thing.

I think the tobacco tea works and is relatively inexpensive although I am careful when I handle the tea. It is a poison even though it dissipates when it dries and does not harm bees. No residual action with tobacco.

This post was edited by lucky123 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 17:35

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    9 years ago

Lucky123, I apologize for mistaking you for a friend of mine who also uses Lucky as his user name. I wasn't paying close attention, obviously. Besides, he'd not be found in the AV forum. :-)

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Rhizo1
    I like your style. I am honored to be your Dearest Cousin and will be happy to be your friend.

Meanwhile, I will add that the DH is handier than a microscope as a visual aid. DH has sharp vision and no bug escapes his eagle eye!

This post was edited by lucky123 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 17:00

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Sigh, sometimes I think about Lasik surgery. My near sight started going in college, whilst staring carefully at tiny circuit boards... Sadly, my DH has the same issues!

Still looking at a digital microscope. Now they make 'em that you can look at the picture on your computer with, instead of crossing eyes over the lens piece!

Best,
    Judy

• lucky123
    9 years ago

Judy
    It may be overkill but there are watch repairmen's glasses, with LED lights, that are 20x.
    These gadgets leave your hands free.
    The clock repairman has a kind that fits around his head like welder's eye shields. He pulls down and pushes the len's part up as he needs to move around or work.
    There are also watch repair magnifying glasses that look like regular glasses
    I like the "push up" kind the clock repairman has. I could ask him for the catalogue information if you are interested.
    The local clock repairman told me he bought his for $35.
    I have been meaning to see if there might be 10x available or 30x, just for future reference.
    Google -- watch repairman's magnifiers.

This post was edited by lucky123 on Mon, Oct 13, 14 at 21:48

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Will do, Lucky!

• judyj
    Original Author
    9 years ago

And thank you! :-)