Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
on SUCKERS - tips & photos?

Posted by rubyfruit 7 (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 21, 07 at 20:29

I've had AV before... but just let them run their course... I never tried propogating from leaves or pruning, etc. until now.
I've done lots of reading about suckers - growing new plants from them - and the need to remove them from mama plants.
It would be extremely helpful if people could take photos before/after sucker removal so the newbies could see what to look for!
Also - anyone have any tips?

This is my Optimara Annabelle plant. There's so much "going on" in it, I feel like there must be a sucker or three!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: on SUCKERS - tips & photos?

I don't have photos but I have personal experience.

I had a sucker plant. I didn't have time to do anything. After a few months, I simple saw two plants 1/2" apart in the same small pot. I cut the dirty in between. I had two rather large plants in no time.

To be honest, I like suckers - a faster way to propagate.

o

sounds simple!

my above plant just looks so crowded and complicated, I'm not sure what is what... I have to examine it!

But it sounds like your sucker plant kind of grew NEXT to instead of ON or IN the mama plant...

o

Ruby, at first, my sucker plant is on/in the mama plant. But as time passes by, they separate further and further apart.

Just let it be.

When they are ready for you to devide, you will see.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here