Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luviolets

What is clackamas foliage

luviolets
14 years ago

Getting ready for the NYSAVAS convention this week and ran across a term I've never heard of before. It's listed in the show schedule under the Special Class category and says "African violet with unusual foliage (bustle, Clackamas, girl, etc.)"

What is this foliage? Does anyone have a photo of what it looks like? I can't seem to find it anywhere in the AVAS Handbook for Growers, Exhibitors and Judges.

Comments (22)

• Christine
    14 years ago

The link below is to a site that has a picture and description of clackamus foliage (scroll down).

Here is a link that might be useful: Flowers and Foliage Examples

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Clackamas foliage is commonly called watermelon foliage because the leaf pattern resembles the skin of a watermelon. IT's original parentage links back to a hybrid called clackamas rattler.
    There are photos in the AVSA library of a few hybrids.
    When you are in the photo section you can also check out Maas Angela.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Oh my! How unusual!
    I'd not ran across any in my picture surfing of African Violets. I for one kinda like it! Would be nice and different in a collection.,,,,Debbie

• ima_digger
    14 years ago

Fred, when I clik on link for AVSA, I get the picture of your 'Fool's Gold". Can you re post the link to AVSA please.
    I just got a leaf of Fools Gold in a RRobin. It's so tiny, and I hope it makes it through the rooting.

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi,
    Jusst go back to the link I posted before and it will bring it up. I have the link below to Maas Angela which I feel is a much nicer Clackamas semi. Theh photo of my Fools Gold was taken about 7 years ago and I no longer have the plant, hopefully I will be able to get a new start from someone in my club.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Good luck Ima with your leaf! I'm sure you will do just fine!,,,Debbie

• ima_digger
    14 years ago

Fred,
    your Maas Angela is a beauty. I'll have to add it to my ever growing WANT list.
    I hope the leaf I have of Fools Gold roots for me. It's so tiny.

• luviolets
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thank you everyone for the information. Certainly an unusual leaf. I judged for the first time yesterday, had a blast by the way, and not one clackamas leaf in sight :-)

So many violets to see/buy/grow, so little time...

Donna

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Donna.
    How did you enjoy judging? I rememeber my first time many years ago. I was so nervous and afraid I would make a fool of myself. However, my fellow judges were very kind and helpful and welcomed me with open arms. That was back in the late 80's and a lot of water has passed under the bridge since then. I judged the Philly show last weekend and asked the judges chairman if I could bring a new student judge from our club along with me. It was a nice way to introduce her to judging and she was so greatful for the opportunity to listen in and ask a few questions.
    Fred in NJ

• luviolets
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Fred,
    I really enjoyed judging actually and learned a lot in the process. I was very nervous so nothing like starting at a state convention to wipe out those doubts! The other judges in the 3 panels I was assigned to were fantastic and incredibly helpful. I judged semi minis, best in shows/table of honor and also participated in judging the show itself. Pretty incredible group of people who were so eager to share their knowledge and with folks like Bill Price, Paul Kroll and Bob Clark that's certainly a whole lot of gesneriad experience under one roof.

Even met a few of our garden web friends in the process, how cool is that? Hi ladies!

Can't wait til next year!

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Hey, luviolets, nice having dinner with you! It was a great show, and man does that club put out some design entries.

I'm really looking forward to next year also, to have MAAVS and NYS combined, yee ha!

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Oh! I'm green with envy that you guys/gals are so far away from where I live.

I'm strongly considering attending the Raleigh show. Is anyone other than mermaid going to that?

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

I plan to go to Raleigh next spring for sure, and to Philadelphia the following year. I opted to go to Albany instead of the MAAVS convention next month in Williamsburg, VA, and I figure anything on this side of the big river is a piece of cake.

Of course you should go, and you are less than 500 miles from Raleigh, I believe. That's like your back yard compared to Reno, Denver, and Tulsa!!!!

Barbara

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Let's plan a get-together in Raleigh!

I.

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Yes, Irina, I owe you a mimosa. Oh wait, it's the dreaded mojito you like.

I believe there is an organized function at the national meetings for internet 'friends' to get acquainted.

Either way, it's a must-do. As it gets closer and the show schedule is determined, we can start planning this.

Barbara

• irina_co
    14 years ago

MOJITO!!!

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

If I'm able to work out those plans, I'd love to connect with you all...

Dora

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

I'm going to try to make it also but if not I will surely be at the 2011 in Cherry Hill, NJ, it's within daily commuting distance.
    Fred in NJ

• minimac
    14 years ago

I'm going and have already been assigned a job. I'm carrying plants and placing them on the tables- Yikes!!

Can't wait and hope I get to meet you all.

Mac

• brendapa
    14 years ago

Hello Fred,

I'm wondering if you have a description of Maas's Angela.
    I have it and it grows very well.I believe I got it from your club a few years ago.
    George MacDonald had a new introduction entered at MAAVS, a variegated clackamas.

Brenda

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:377948}}

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

HI Brenda,
    I got this description from Janet Riemer and put it into my data base. It will never be registered because the parents are unknown.

Maas' Angela (Max Maas) Double mauve with darker mauve edge Clackamus Semiminiature (User Database)

Fred in NJ

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH