Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minimac_gw

Barbara's Inevitable Quote

minimac
14 years ago

Earlier this year when I first started growing I took a break from watching basketball and posted here. As you all know in the beginning you're so excited about your violets hoping the leaves you have put down don't all turn to mush. You know the routine, but you're so impatient! Barbara posted back this inevitable quote "Remember, March Madness turns into April Foolishness, so be prepared!" Oh, so true Barbara!

It's great you all are here and just wanted to say thanks for all your help and knowledge, and a special Thank You to Marigene:)

If my violets could talk they would tell you I've evolved from Camp Git Mo (torturous pounding while potting) to Attica prison (overcrowding). Think Mr. Cook gets back tomorrow - desperately need to order pots!

Took these pictures several weeks ago, thought I'd share.

{{gwi:378119}}

My first Rob's babies. Put down April Fools Day

{{gwi:378120}}

I use plastic shoe boxes for leaves. The lower shelf has Jollys and Mac's. Most are semis

{{gwi:378121}}

Umm..Apron string babies

{{gwi:378122}}

The three in the back I tried vermiculite only + water. Seem to have worked well. May use that from now on. Save soil. Mac's White Water in back corner has peduncle w/ pedicels (flower stem) Practice for Chimeras LOL.

{{gwi:378123}}

Standard babies that need potting up and Noids

{{gwi:378124}}

Usually only community water babies

{{gwi:378125}}

I love this part, seeing who blooms true. Rob's Dust Storm

{{gwi:378126}}

Awhile back saw a picture of Fred's Gleeful Elf and had to have one.

{{gwi:378127}}

"ISOLATE" These little buddies followed me home from the Ohio State Convention. There are several Chimeras in there.

Then, was the waiting, Now...So much to do! I'm not prepared!

Comments (7)

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

WOW! I am impressed; they look great. I hope that I am doing as well 7 or 8 months into this as you are. I started in July, so it's wonderful to see how well everything is doing in such a short time.

• bonniejune
    14 years ago

I am so impressed! I started in August...and my 'ears' are progressing nicely on what I have planted...and some nice person sent me some 'babies' and I bought some (unfortunately, not small, too..
    but had to put them all under lights as my light source is now covered pretty much with leaves from the trees outside my window....I am in an apt. house so I can't tell 'them' cut the leaves on the trees..........so I devoted my whole second bedroom to violets....(and my puter)...

WHAT is the secret of your wonderful success...??? I am so impressed.....I am following all the tips and anything I can get my hands or eyes on!

Anything u can tell me will help.....and any extra miniatures...leaves included...will help too...will be glad to pay postage...thank you....!!

Bonnie

• Christine
    14 years ago

Put me down as very impressed too! Your light stands are so clean and well organized and your plants look so pretty, healthy and happy. You're doing a great job.

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Your stands look fantastic! Nice and clean, well organized, and the plants look very healthy.

You're doing a great job!

Barbara

• threas
    14 years ago

Wow!! Ditto, what everyone else said. You're doing a fantastic job with your AV's!

Theresa

• minimac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey, Thanks for all the encouraging posts. They are greatly appreciated. I know I'm not fooling you seasoned growers - My carts don't always look that organized! They knew they were getting their pictures taken. LOL I had just neemed and lined things up alphabetically for easier locating and decided to take pictures. By no means do my violets stay in such neat rows. It's all I can do to get their wick back into any proximity from which it came! (sigh)

Bonnie, my secret (funny) guess it would be obsession. If I'm home rarely a day doesn't go by that I don't do something, not that I'm working on them, but a least looking and inspecting. Consistency. Fred said it all in a post to MeyerMike:

"The key to growing good violets is consistency. By that I mean to treat the plants the same way all the time. Water on schedule and fertilize on schedule. This plus keeping your plant area clean and checking them every time you water to get rid of any dead or dying leaves as well as keeping the plants trimmed to a symmetrical shape. Remove dead blossoms as soon as they fade and check for diseases every time you are by your plants."
    Fred in NJ

There is a tool I use that has probably saved many a leaf and ears from over watering and rot: a syringe.

{{gwi:378128}}

It shoots a fine stream of water to moisten the mix. You have greater control and is easier for me to use than watering can, turkey baster, eye drop etc. The curved end is useful for lifting hidden buds and crown leaves.

Just as you are doing now, read. Try things you've read about - see what works for you and what you can live with. Experience is the best teacher. E-mail me. We'll talk.

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

I also LOVE my syringe! I used to use it for measuring fertilizer. Now? It's always by me AVs.

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner