Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Removing Old Flowers

Posted by ZuzuIL (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 17, 05 at 21:51

I am a little confused as to what exactly I am supposed to
remove from an african violet.

When the flowers die, am I just supposed to remove the old flower or the stalk it is on also.

If a leaf has a tear in it, am I supposed to remove it alone or the stem as well.

Thanks for any advice.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Removing Old Flowers

You should wait & take the pros advice, they will probably reply shortly. I find its better to take all the stem, not just the leaf, cause it will rot and cause problems with your plants if you let too many do that. I have a lot of plants and only go over them to pull the bad leaves/stems/flowers every so often..I should keep up with it more often but I just don't have the time. I was wondering with the flowers too. If there are any flowers still blooming or ready to bloom, I leave it until next time. Mostly I don't take them until they have all flowered and dries up, flower stem too, dead and brown...but it it better to takes the stem while it is still green? tish

o
RE: Removing Old Flowers

• Posted by Korina 9b, Sunset 17 (My Page) on
    Tue, Oct 18, 05 at 12:24

I cut off old blooms, and when they're all done, take the whole stalk. You probably shouldn't wait until it's dry; carefully pull the stalk sideways until it snaps off. I absolutely adore my bonsai tweezers -- they're very long and great for reaching in to tiny spaces, especially on my minis.

Take off the entire leaf, too. Again, pull it sideways until it snaps off. Don't wait for it to get rotty or soft. However, if the leaf is damaged but otherwise healthy, feel free to leave it on if you wish. It's a cosmetic thing. You will eventually pull it off anyway, when the plant grows out a few more rows.

Good luck.

Korina (do as I say, not as I do)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here