Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bspofford

Perfect potting station

bspofford
14 years ago

I'm looking for some ideas for the new potting area I am going to have.

I currently do all my potting at the kitchen table. It has been great because there is lots of room, but it's the first thing you see when you come in the ell door. (Most New Englanders seem to have no use for a front door other than to hang a Christmas wreath on it.) Because I work with my plants a lot, it is usually somewhat messy looking, but I really don't want to pick up and stow everything every time I use it.

I have ample space in an extra bedroom used for an office, with an existing full wall of shelving where I have more plants. I am going to move the potting area to this room.

I will have a table that is 34"x34" and it will take a leaf if I want to expand it. The available space is 57" wide and I plan to put the table up aginst the wall. To my right is the wall of shelves with the plants on them, and to my left is the peninsula of a u-shaped desk. Hopefully you can visualize the space now.

If you were making your perfect potting area, what would you be sure to include?

Thanks.

Barbara

Comments (14)

• irina_co
    14 years ago

Barbara -

I have a small growing room in a basement - where I have a regular metal office desk - they were throwing the old ones at work - a narrow metal shelving on the top - and a potting tray. I swear by potting tray. I put some newspapers on the bottom - and just roll the top layer off every so often.
    The main thing - you need to have a lot of shelves around - for clean pots, whatnots etc. You need to have a bucket for trash, a bucket for dirty pots and a low bench or box for the tray with repotted plants. I would say that if you can get a roll of linoleum to cover the area around your table -it helps too.

Do not forget a radio/clock.

irina

Here is a link that might be useful: potting tray

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks, Irina for the suggestions. When I am potting or repotting, I have newspapers that I have torn in half. Used potting mix is rolled up and tossed, and the next sheet is tossed after the plant is repotted. I plan on a shelving unit on the desk, and I have some storage that will be right next to me. I plan to attach a paper towel holder to the shelving unit, and hang a dustbuster somewhere really close. I'm not sure abut the linoleum, since the room is carpeted, and I have a super comfy office chair that will be used. Radio/clock is already in the room, and a small tv will go on the end of the desk!

Barbara

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

HI,
    I would make sure there is a water supply in the room so I could clean my hands and have a pail for soaking dirty pots.
    Fred in NJ

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    14 years ago

I like that potting tray. I may get one!

I take a copy paper box, cut the front of the box down to about 3 inches in the middle and it works perfect. Not for WET soil of coarse! Keeps the mess contained.

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

I think I'd value any of the following:

-comfy chair that supports my back so the long hours of play/potting would be comfortable
    - good music source (I prefer an iPod)
    - a place to store the various tools that I use and have them within arm's reach and visible so I don't have to go looking for them
    - a place for my AV buddy to join me if we want
    - a container that holds soil to get me through a few weeks/months of repotting so I don't have to continually make my "mix"
    - separate tray to hold my chemicals for prevention/treatment and the measuring devices for those chemicals
    - place to store pots/supplies that I use
    - place to hold the water (or at least a gallon or two)
    - in the surface, I'd prefer a 'hole' so that I could sweep the used soil, trash, clippings, groomed parts, etc right off into the trash.
    - a roll of freezer paper or blank newsprint so that when I'm needing a new/un-infected surface, I could just reach up/over and pull new paper to cover my planting surface
    - a place to post inspirational pictures of various flowers, ribbons, etc...things that could keep me going

those are a few ideas off the top of my head. How wonderful to be able to have a dedicated "space" for a potting area. When we add our addition within the next 4-5 years, I'll have an entire upstairs room section that will house my plant stands and a potting area. Hopefully, by then, you'll have all the kinks worked out and I can copy yours, LOL

Be sure to share pictures, ok?
    Dora

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

What great ideas from all of you! I'll be sure to post pix of what I end up with.

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    I tried looking for it through your page and your username but didn't see it.

Would you please send me your personal email?

Dora

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

bspoffor@maine.rr.com

• minimac
    14 years ago

Barbara,

I concur with Fred - I would have to have some sort of water source to rinse my hands. Just rinsing and re rinsing in one pale of water wouldn't do it for me. You know those big orange plastic water jugs that you see on maintenance trucks. That may work well. You could put a bucket below to catch water, at the same time you could flip the lever to open the spout and rinse your hands with fresh clean water. If you'd like something prettier there are large glass apothecary jars used for water, lemonade, sangria etc. Just google.

Here is a link that might be useful: apothecary jar

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Or maybe a big spray bottle of alcohol? With some gin in it?

• luviolets
    14 years ago

What about a really great flexible arm lamp, for those dark winter evenings coming up. I never seem to have enough light right over the desk for close up work like grooming etc at night.

Oh and lots of electrical power bars to plug in all those essential devices surrounding us in our plant rooms (like laptops to print first class labels etc).

Donna

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    Would the gin be used for disinfecting the potting area or the human pallet? LOL

I'm sorry, I couldnt resist :) I've found the atmosphere different (for lack of less antagonizing words) here and wanted to lighten it back up to the fun part and I was wondering if tequila might do the same thing?

Dora

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You are right on the money, Donna. I have two desk lamps that I will use, one is a halogen lamp on a flexible arm, and the other is a cool flourescent lamp with a magnifying glass built in. (I see them advertised for people with macular degeneration.) My desktop pc is on the desk, but I may put the laptop close for reviewing FC2 without getting up all the time.

Barbara

• bspofford
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yes, that was said in a lighter vein......
    I suspect tequila would work as well. I remember watching the 'Galloping Gourmet' on tv, and it seemed as though he always had a shot for the dish and one for himself. Yes, I learned later he had a drinking problem.

Actually, I can picture a quite perfect evening spent with a some good music, good libation, good potting mix, and a good friend.

Barbara

Sponsored
Remodel Repair Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Westerville