Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Flowers dried up and died

Posted by armygrdnr none (My Page) on
Fri, Oct 19, 12 at 22:02

The Optimara Hiroshige that I had just bought had several blooms on it with several more on the way and today all the existing blooms have turned brown and died but the buds are still present from before. It is getting indirect and filtered sunlight from an east facing window that is approximately four feet away from the bookshelf it is on. The potting mix is moist but not soaked and it is in the same pot it was in when I bought it (4in pot). Also the leaves are exhibiting no unhealthy symptoms. The other AV I bought at the same time still has all of its blooms and is doing well so what has happened with this one? Thanks for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Flowers dried up and died

• Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Sat, Oct 20, 12 at 11:30

Sounds to me like it was just those blooms end time. Had it been anything else the buds would be dead as as well. Or dying and as long as that isn't the case I don't think you have any worries, pest or water wise. You might want to move the plants closer to the window though. If I am reading correctly four feet away from the filtered sun seems a bit far to me.

o

Four feet from the window is TOO FAR AWAY to provide adequate light.

Your plants need to be no further than a foot from the light source.

Your plants will only be able to sustain blooms with adequate light.

You can supplement your window light with artificial (fluorescent) light. You can hang fluorescent fixtures
or use the new spiral CFL bulbs in a regular houselamp.

But you're going to need more light.

o

Thanks for the responses! I have moved them closer to the window now and will anxiously await the new buds blooming. I was concerned that being too close to the window would be too much light. Thanks again everyone!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here