Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
begonia2005

Brightest bloom colors?

Begonia2005
11 years ago

When I received my Live Wire from LLG I was a little disappointed with the bloom color. It was the only plant out of 4 that arrived with blooms.

The flowers are beautiful and quite unique, I am not denying that...but the color looked stronger in the picture (Gee, who would have thunk?...)

I realized that what I really love are those colors that pop like crazy. Very strong, very deep and that draw attention in the room, even when there is just one or two blooms out.

I know for sure the white ones will have that effect because there is no color brighter than white after all. Apart from whites though, what varieties would you say have very strong colors?

I read about Neon Pink. Anything else that you found to have very strongly colored blooms?

I am not crazy about anything pastel.

Comments (9)

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

For me it'd be the deep reds (Red Robe or Arapahoe comes to mind), purples (blackberry jam for example) and "blues" (like Tiger - dark blue or ruffled skies - light blue). That said, some of the Fantasy are quite striking.

• Begonia2005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Can you give me an example of a very striking Fantasy?

I do love those...I ordered Timeless Memory from LLG but they didn't have the plant so they sent a leaf instead. I hope I will be able to get a plant out of it eventually.

• taxonomist3
    11 years ago

Currently I'm growing Jean-Pierre Croteau which is a great bloomer and has brilliant flecks for coral on a deep purple.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:378592}}

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Frequently, bloom color on younger plants (or plants under stress ... travel, for instance) ... is not quite the same as what you'll see when the plant is larger.

As you said, whites pop ... also bright pinks and salmons.

There are also many violets which have white edging ... these also pop effectively.

• catwoman61
    11 years ago

If you really want to see your colors pop on your av ? put screws in the dirt my grandma used to do that and she had huge blooms and pretty deep colors too . and also water them with egg water after you boil some eggs let cool and then water your avs with it . watch it take off about a week later .

• Begonia2005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Wow, that is fascinating. I will try that.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

If you grow your plants under grow lights - the color is absolutely popping in your eyes. Something with the spectrum of these tubes.

• Begonia2005
    Original Author
    11 years ago

One of my plants has a new generation of blooms coming up. They are all still buds and the plant has been sitting under the grow lights for over a month now. I can't wait to see how they look like now that I will be able to claim complete ownership of the blooms as they were formed in my home, under my conditions. I managed to make this plant bloom again and it looks like it has 5-6 flower stalks. I can't wait too see the color intensity . :)

• james_ny
    11 years ago

"Currently I'm growing Jean-Pierre Croteau which is a great bloomer and has brilliant flecks for coral on a deep purple." Agree with Taxo on this one. I saw one once on a visit to Lyndon Lyons was stunned by its looks. I forgot to pick it up [i had many great plants], and have regretted it ever since.