Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jerome_gw

Eggshells in water as fertilizer

jerome
12 years ago

When I was about 20 (1980s) I went to a house and saw the biggest most vigorous African violet I've ever seen live, covered in bloom. I asked the owner what she fed it, and she indicated a jar, filled with eggshells soaking in water. Is this legit? Do any of you use it or have experience with it? I have been using a fertilizer I found out has too much urea in it, and need to switch over to something without.

Jerome

Comments (8)

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Dyna-Gro Grow and Bloom formulas are the best, IMO. What the plants need (as you know from growing roses) is a balanced fertilizer. Don't know about egg shells. But you can try anything as an experiment.

Linda

• User
    12 years ago

Jerome, I have never used eggshells that way but have used them crushed in my soil mix for AV's and Streps. They both have done very well along with a little chopped sphagnum moss as additive. There is something in the eggshells that helps the plant but I can't recall what it is.

I'm sure soaking them brings out the nutrients that the plant can utilize.

Dave

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Probably increases calcium content and decreases the Ph.

For sure makes the house stink. Leftovers of egg white got rotten and converted into weak nitrogen fertilizer.

30 years ago people used garden loam and aged cow manure as part of the soil. The plants grew huge. The problem is that the soil from outside carries soil nematodes that ruin the plant and you cannot get rid of them, So - soilless mix is much safer. And Ph can be adjusted with dolomite lime without stinking the house.

I agree with Linda - DynaGro is much better.

Irina

• irina_co
    12 years ago

OOps - increases the Ph.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes...the smell of the eggwhites would be something to contend with. Irina...those nematodes - I thought they were only in Florida! I learn something new every day.

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Well, I broke down and ordered Dynagro to replace the Schultz food I have. We'll see how they do.

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Hi, Jerome:

For years I used either Peters or Schultz and was quite happy with both (oh, and something called "Black Magic Blossom Booster" which I can't find any more). Then members of my AV club put in a discount-size order for Dyna-Gro and I thought, "What the heck?"

I was so surprised at the difference. It truly made a believer out of me. I hope it does well for you, too. Just remember the adage: "Feed weakly, weekly." I use one-quarter to one-half strength.

Happy Growing,

Linda

• jerome
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Good advice, Linda. And thanks for the encouragement. I need to post photos soon and get advice on growing. My large plant doesn't have that "tight" look I see in people's show plants.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!