Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Eggshells in water as fertilizer

Posted by jerome z9 CA (My Page) on
Mon, Oct 10, 11 at 22:49

When I was about 20 (1980s) I went to a house and saw the biggest most vigorous African violet I've ever seen live, covered in bloom. I asked the owner what she fed it, and she indicated a jar, filled with eggshells soaking in water. Is this legit? Do any of you use it or have experience with it? I have been using a fertilizer I found out has too much urea in it, and need to switch over to something without.

Jerome

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Eggshells in water as fertilizer

Dyna-Gro Grow and Bloom formulas are the best, IMO. What the plants need (as you know from growing roses) is a balanced fertilizer. Don't know about egg shells. But you can try anything as an experiment.

Linda

o

Jerome, I have never used eggshells that way but have used them crushed in my soil mix for AV's and Streps. They both have done very well along with a little chopped sphagnum moss as additive. There is something in the eggshells that helps the plant but I can't recall what it is.

I'm sure soaking them brings out the nutrients that the plant can utilize.

Dave

o

Probably increases calcium content and decreases the Ph.

For sure makes the house stink. Leftovers of egg white got rotten and converted into weak nitrogen fertilizer.

30 years ago people used garden loam and aged cow manure as part of the soil. The plants grew huge. The problem is that the soil from outside carries soil nematodes that ruin the plant and you cannot get rid of them, So - soilless mix is much safer. And Ph can be adjusted with dolomite lime without stinking the house.

I agree with Linda - DynaGro is much better.

Irina

o
RE: Eggshells in water as fertilizer1

OOps - increases the Ph.

o

Yes...the smell of the eggwhites would be something to contend with. Irina...those nematodes - I thought they were only in Florida! I learn something new every day.

o
Dynagro

Well, I broke down and ordered Dynagro to replace the Schultz food I have. We'll see how they do.

o

Hi, Jerome:

For years I used either Peters or Schultz and was quite happy with both (oh, and something called "Black Magic Blossom Booster" which I can't find any more). Then members of my AV club put in a discount-size order for Dyna-Gro and I thought, "What the heck?"

I was so surprised at the difference. It truly made a believer out of me. I hope it does well for you, too. Just remember the adage: "Feed weakly, weekly." I use one-quarter to one-half strength.

Happy Growing,

Linda

o

Good advice, Linda. And thanks for the encouragement. I need to post photos soon and get advice on growing. My large plant doesn't have that "tight" look I see in people's show plants.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here