Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Is this a chimera?

Posted by bunnycat z6 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Oct 26, 11 at 23:23

The photo isn't very good. I took it with my cell phone.
Each flower has a pale pink stripe down the center of each petal. Thanks for taking a look.

Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Is this a chimera?

looks like it.

o

Thank you, Irina.
I looked to see if Violetbarn had a chimera sport (is that what it's called?)of Ma's Taffy Swirl. There is one, but no picture yet, and that one has a blue stripe. While googling images of MTS, I found a picture from a couple of years ago labeled Ma's Taffy Stripe. That one looks like a chimera to me, has a very pronounced blue stripe on pink petals, no fantasy. I don't know if the Violetbarn chimera from MTS has fantasy or not (forgot if it said). So if the one I bought is a chimera, then there are at least 2 or 3 from MTS around. I got lucky! I think none of the flowers were opened when I bought it, but it had more flower stems than the other 2 that were available for purchase.
Bunnycat

o

Congratulations!

Some of the less stable varieties are prone to create chimeras. Chimera Yukako has an ability to produce other chimeras too.

I.

o

No wonder everyone seems to be crazy about Yukako. I thought it's because it's so pretty.
In the past, I've had violets with fantasy lose some of it over time. Haven't ever had the luck to buy an "improved" version" before. I hope Olive doesn't want it back!

o

I think Olive may appreciate if you send her a sucker one day.

o
RE: Is this a chimera??

Don't I have to cut it's poor little head off to get a sucker? (horrors!!!)
Best to let her do it. But it's just a baby now.

o

If you cut its poor head off - you will end with 20 suckers, and not all of them are going to be chimeras. If you just let it grow -sooner or later you get one.

i.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here