Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
cowgurl160

Help With African Violet

cowgurl160
11 years ago

This was my latest AV purchase. I bought this one about 2 weeks ago, repotted about 10 days ago, and has been in the same spot ever since. I work at the place where I purchased this plant and I noticed the same thing going on with several of the plants that are still at the store. I was wondering if it looks like powdery mildew on the leaf, but what concerns me is the curling of the leaves in the crown (pictures below). I really like the color of the blooms on this ones so if possible I'd really like to try to save the plant.

Comments (8)

• cowgurl160
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Picture of crown

• cowgurl160
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another picture of crown with curling leaves

• Empress012
    11 years ago

I am sorry I can't be of too much help here. I am new to AVs and am just getting started in growing my own.
    But the powdery gray stuff in that first picture does seem to be powdery mildew. However, as far as I can tell, the rest of the plant seems unaffected.
    Perhaps the curling leaves suggests a nutrient deficiency? Or, perhaps it is just still so new (the leaves, I mean) and they haven't gotten quite yet had a chance to "stretch" out?
    I really look forward to reading answers so as to fortify myself with my future AV collection.
    Good luck!!! And I hope you get the answers you need.

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

cowgurl ...

The pot looks to be too big (you'd want no larger than a 4" diameter pot for that sized plant) ... and ... the pot needs to have drainage holes.

I would guess that your plant(s) are suffering from being in too large pots, and consequently, difficult water management.

Begin to think about changing pots soon ...

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Looks like powdery mildew to me. Spray with Lysol directed up. The soil seems to be a store bought soil which needs to be cut with 1/3 perlite.
    The recommendation about the size of the pot is correct.

The fact that the leaves are looking who knows where is probably attributed to all this moving and repotting. If it will be growing on a windowsill, it needs to be turned a bit every several days to avoid leaning towards light.

Good Luck

Irina

• Empress012
    11 years ago

@Irina: When you say, "Spray with Lysol directed up" do you mean to say: 1. Use the Lysol disinfectant spray and 2. spray it up an away from the plant which means 3. let it mist down gently onto the leaves? And this works?!
    If so will it work with other plants as well? I have some strawberries that have powdery mildew forming and I was going to try an "organic" mix of baking soda and liquid soap. But if your method works I will just do that!
    But why not directly onto the plant?
    Sorry so many questions. Am just so astounded and excited to find a method that may work!

• Empress012
    11 years ago

@Irina: Thanks! I am going to try that with my strawberry leaves. And my AV as needed...