Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help With African Violet

Posted by cowgurl160 4 (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 18, 12 at 23:28

This was my latest AV purchase. I bought this one about 2 weeks ago, repotted about 10 days ago, and has been in the same spot ever since. I work at the place where I purchased this plant and I noticed the same thing going on with several of the plants that are still at the store. I was wondering if it looks like powdery mildew on the leaf, but what concerns me is the curling of the leaves in the crown (pictures below). I really like the color of the blooms on this ones so if possible I'd really like to try to save the plant.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help With African Violet

Picture of crown

o

Another picture of crown with curling leaves

o

I am sorry I can't be of too much help here. I am new to AVs and am just getting started in growing my own.
But the powdery gray stuff in that first picture does seem to be powdery mildew. However, as far as I can tell, the rest of the plant seems unaffected.
Perhaps the curling leaves suggests a nutrient deficiency? Or, perhaps it is just still so new (the leaves, I mean) and they haven't gotten quite yet had a chance to "stretch" out?
I really look forward to reading answers so as to fortify myself with my future AV collection.
Good luck!!! And I hope you get the answers you need.

o

cowgurl ...

The pot looks to be too big (you'd want no larger than a 4" diameter pot for that sized plant) ... and ... the pot needs to have drainage holes.

I would guess that your plant(s) are suffering from being in too large pots, and consequently, difficult water management.

Begin to think about changing pots soon ...

o

Looks like powdery mildew to me. Spray with Lysol directed up. The soil seems to be a store bought soil which needs to be cut with 1/3 perlite.
The recommendation about the size of the pot is correct.

The fact that the leaves are looking who knows where is probably attributed to all this moving and repotting. If it will be growing on a windowsill, it needs to be turned a bit every several days to avoid leaning towards light.

Good Luck

Irina

o

@Irina: When you say, "Spray with Lysol directed up" do you mean to say: 1. Use the Lysol disinfectant spray and 2. spray it up an away from the plant which means 3. let it mist down gently onto the leaves? And this works?!
If so will it work with other plants as well? I have some strawberries that have powdery mildew forming and I was going to try an "organic" mix of baking soda and liquid soap. But if your method works I will just do that!
But why not directly onto the plant?
Sorry so many questions. Am just so astounded and excited to find a method that may work!

o

Empress -

the fungicide which always works is called "Topas" and it is not sold in US. The rest of the methods are less efficient, but much more user friendly. There is a Green Cure - it is potassium bicarbonate - I think you can purchase it online - you can spray every day until you will be done with it - potassium (K) is used by the plants - while baking soda - sodium bicarbonate - overloads plants with sodium - which can be too much. Neem oil is an excellent preventative - but if PM is in a full blast - it is not that efficient - the same is Lysol - yes - you interpreted it right. If you spray directly - it will leave cold spots on the leaves and the flowers will burn, fine mist is less damaging.

I would remove all affected leaves and blossoms - the fungus is already in a tissue - and spray with whatever home remedy you will find - soda or neem oil or Lysol.

The PM is a disease of fall and spring - warm days - cold nights - so if you can adjust your thermostat to reduce the difference and make sure that there is an air movement in a room = it will most possibly go down on its own.

Good luck

I

o

@Irina: Thanks! I am going to try that with my strawberry leaves. And my AV as needed...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here