Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
A name for my NoID?

Posted by Empress012 10 (My Page) on
Tue, Nov 6, 12 at 0:10

I can't figure out if an AV is like an orchid in the fact that a NoID will always be a NoID due to crazy hybridizing or if AV are unlike orchids in the regards to every AV out there has a name.
If the latter is the case then what is the name of my current NoID?
I am stuck between a few names:

Apache Brave or Apache Midnight, Blueberry Ruffles... Or could it be something else?

My NoID is a double/semidouble frilled dark purple flowers with scalloped heart shaped leaves with the tiniest flecks of ivory or silver at the edges. The backs of the leaves are red.

Thanks for helping a newbie understand!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: A name for my NoID?

Unfortunately, AVs are much like orchids in that there are so many hybrids that a plant that came unlabeled should always be considered a NOID. There are over 10000 registered hybrids, and some people estimate 3 to 4 times that many have gone unregistered.

Mark

o

Empress -

If you are sure that you purchased the AVS you listed, and the only problem is that the tag fell off - you can choose between these ones. If it came to your house as NOID, it stays NOID. Keep a list of what you have, make pics when they blooom, so you will know your inventory.

I.

o

@Irina - Thanks! I sometimes get so caught up in the ogling and drooling that I forget to take the picture! Ha ha~ But I am getting better.

~~~

I just purchased 3 more NoIDs today. They are my starter plants that I am going to experiment my soilless mix on.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here