Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Very Strange to Me

luvofroses
14 years ago

I bought a Ma's Ching Dynasty from the Violet Barn. I put down 2 leaves in separate cups and baggies. One baggie has little mouse ears while the other has a new leaf growing off of the mother leaf. What is happening to this one? Is this somethng that happens and how do I treat this leaf that is now a fair size growing out of the top of the mother? While I am still very new to violets I have put down a few leaves but not ever seen this nor have I read about this. Thank you so very much for any insight

Ann in So UT

Comments (19)

• dognapper2
    14 years ago

New to me as well, although I have this happening to 2 right now - Pink Lady & Bashful. I've seen pictures of it happening - but I don't know if I've ever seen a follow-up picture for when it was time to divide & conquer! I think we must need to let them develop really well and then treat as if it were a crown without roots.
    Will be interesting to watch at any rate!

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

is it just one single leaf growing off the mother leaf or are there some other ones coming up with it (even if smaller size)?

Just let it grow for a few more weeks and see if an identifiable crown begins to develop. I have found that some leaves have different levels of 'energy' and produce differently - the only way to know is to let time run it's course.

Dora

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

The closest I've seen to this problem was on a site the lady has some plantlets emerge from below soil like normal but had a couple plantlets growing on the beginning of the stem where it meets the leaf. She said she would be letting the soil plantlets mature and then remove them and lower the leaf down to the soil so the higher plantlets could root in.
    The site didn't continue on about this method to say if she was successful.
    Being new I haven't ran in to this yet but I do have leaves rooting right now so anythings possible. haha.
    Sorry I can't be of more help.,,,,Debbie

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

The leaf in question was put down about 4 weeks ago I planted the mother leaf in my violet mix watered it and bagged it. At the top of the mother leaf is another leaf growing (it reminds me of how you build a snowman large snowball on bottom smaller one next) The other leaf that i put down at the same time (came off same plant)has cute little mouse ears growing. Just wondered what to with this odd one. Guess i will just let it grow.
    Ann in So UT

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

If I understand your description correctly - that's probably just a fluke.

There may have been some damage to that leaf or an alien got a hold of your leaf and it's mutating, LOL

Take a picture of it - those things don't happen often.

Dora

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

I agree with Dora,,,sounds pretty freaky deekie!! If it's able to root somehow it just might have man eating flowers! hehehe.
    I did see a AV that on the back of the leaves it grows 2 fangs. The hybridizer had no clue why but is typical for that particular one.,,,Debbie

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

"If it's able to root somehow it just might have man eating flowers! hehehe."

Would that mean it sported into an African Violent?
    ::rimshot::

• minimac
    14 years ago

Debbie,

FANGS?!! Wonder if they hybridized on a night with a 'New Moon'? Oh, be careful Dora!

Mac

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Mermie,
    Don't you know that all of us here are growing African Violence. BTW how is your grandfather doing?
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Fred--Been visiting him at the hospice almost every day, this week he has been mostly very alert, but physically he is now crashing rapidly.

I should take one of my blooming AVs to put on his windowsill next to his bed... Think I will do that tomorrow.

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Just had to prove it to ya'll! :-P
    It's not my picture.,,,Debbie

Here is a link that might be useful: AV leaves with fangs!

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Maybe it was it's Halloween costume!! Spooky :-)

• korina
    14 years ago

Debbie, that's... hunh. Interesting. So which variety is it? Addicted minds need to know!

Way back in the olden days, I had leaves from I think it was Little Jayhawker (one of my mini girl leaves) and one of them started throwing out babies from *every* crease in the leaf. It was wild! Basically there's nothing really abby-normal about it, but some growers think these plantlets are weak and take energy from the soil-based ones, that will produce roots, and therefore remove them. Not me, mind, but some do. Good luck.

Korina

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Korina the often fanged AV is a Swedish one.:
    Bol's Blue Estrid - Single blueish wasp. Medium green bustle leaves.

Guess I'm gonna have to find and get one since I like unusual and odd plants. *wink*
    Let me know if you find one!,,,Debbie

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

I did not see this thread until after I posted to "Mystery solved but still odd" so I copied & pasted part of my response to that thread.

I put down 2 leaves of Lyon's Lavender Magic 12/08 (3" pot-needed more info). One leaf is well rooted but no plantlet. The other has the plantlet of at least 6 leaves growing right out of the leaf, towards the bottom but definitely coming out of the rib (?) of the mother and has sent out a few air roots that look dry.

Question to anyone who knows more than me - do I reset the leaf lower in a smaller pot or cut away the leaf and treat more like a sucker?

Thanks, Mary

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

I'm new so I really don't know BUT my first instinct since I have grown other plants would be to bag it. I say this because you mentioned it's trying to make roots but they look dry. Bagged they would do better because of the humidity and might could grow on and make more roots.
    I would try it bagged because there could be other plantlets below soil and if you lowered it now they might would die. I'd give it some more time planted as is and not lower it yet.
    Now let's see what the more experienced growers think. I'd go with what they say because they have seen probably about all the oddities these violets can come up with! Me,,,I'm just beginning with these jewels.,,,,Debbie

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

It has been bagged this whole time (since Dec 08). I had to wade thru the jungle to find the name and kept the bag out. I decided it might be too dry so I added a little water to the pot, trimmed both leaves back a bit more (I have read this triggers response) rebagged it with a small amount of water in the bag for extra humidty. Will watch closely this next week to see that I didn't get it to wet. Great minds think alike!! This thread has been very helpful.

Thanks, Mary

• leslie_virnig221
    14 years ago

when i had violets in high school, some of them did this too

• korina
    14 years ago

Mary, you have two options; leave it and let it get big enough that you feel comfortable handling it, then carefully remove it from the mother leaf and treat like an unrooted crown; or, remove it and toss it, letting other potential plantlets have the energy this one was taking. I would save the plantlet myself; you should have full-size blooming plants by now.

Either way, there's no rush; you can also just sit back and see what happens after the trimming. YMMV, of course.

Good luck,

Korina

Sponsored
WhislerHome Improvement
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Franklin County's Committed Home Improvement Professionals