Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
empress012

LEDs for lighting

Empress012
11 years ago

I am researching lighting options for my future and much expanding grow space and I read somewhere about LEDs being a cheap and dependable light source.

But I can't find it again.

Google and search here in the forums has not returned any fruitful results either.

As I continue to research and learn about CFLs, I was wondering if anyone here uses LEDs for grow lights and how successful they have been.

Do you use reds and blues? Or just plain whites?

Thanks for your time!!! Just trucking along and absorbing as much knowledge as I can along the way.

Comments (5)

• nyxx
    11 years ago

Can't wait to hear from someone that has used them. I too have been looking up info about them. I can tell you that LED plant lights have more then just the white light. Minimum that I have seen have bands of red and blue as well. I find it interesting that most of the info on LED plants lights is related to Cannabis growers. Below is an excellent article as well as lots of links on the page for more info. Also from what I have found so far, though they are cheaper to run they are more expensive, at this point in time, to buy. But, imho, that will change in the near future.

Here is a link that might be useful: LED grow light review 2011

• Empress012
    Original Author
    11 years ago

@Nyxx: Thanks for sharing the link.
    I was seeing a lot more blues and reds for growing but the display is not so nice - to my eyes. And since the display would be in the main part of the apartment, I would like for it to be decorative as well as functional.
    I am still trying to figure out if there is a difference between growing LED lights and the LEDs lights you can get in strips for cars and other decoration... So far, I have found some confusing partial articles on wattage and (I think) higher wattage is better for plant growth?
    And yeh, me too!!! I ran into a lot of cannabis articles. I think I may just bite the bullet and join a cannabis forum to figure out this while lighting situation. XD

• Stevethumb21
    10 years ago

I have been using LED lights since last year. I got a little difficulty in switching from HID because LEDs work quite differently. You get the ability of focusing partial lighting. But, yes you need to know the capacity required for your garden in order to get proper growth. You can consult some local Expert too. I bought my lights from Initial LED. The trained engineers guided me thoroughly about the utilization.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Empress,

Do a google for LED and orchid growing. That is the direction in which most hobbyists are going but I found it to be very expensive. And, as you said, the set-up was not very attractive.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

beauty is in the eye of the beholder. perhaps you could put your eyesore lights in another room, and bring out your plants while they bloom for YOU to enjoy.

i know all the violets i moved to the "zimmer" are doing so much better due to the higher humidity of the shower twice a day. so i rotate them out, since all have served their time in obligatory "solitary confinement"

now they have yet to complain of the occasional noxious fumes ... I AM SURE THAT IS NEXT

dave