Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing from Seeds?

Posted by Brighid 8 (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 18, 12 at 0:37

I noticed that several of my older plants have hard seed pods forming in the flowers. I have seen the flowers drop what looks like pollen on several occasions over the last few years, but this is the first time I have noticed what look like seeds. Do any of you have experience with this? Do you think that if I planted the seeds I would get new plants?

If so, I would be really curious to see if I get some kind of new cross. Plants of different types and colors have been next to each other, shedding pollen for quite a while. That would be really amazing if I come up with a new AV!

What are your suggestions for sprouting seeds?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing from Seeds?

AV seeds are easy. I use a clear plastic box with an inch or so of dampened potting mix. Sprinkle the seeds on the mix (do not cover the seeds with mix) and cover the container and put it under your lights.

There are a zillion named AVs already so why add to the confusion. Plant the seeds for fun and learning...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here