Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Thrips, springtails and symphalans

Posted by vall3fam 9 CentralCA (My Page) on
Wed, Nov 21, 07 at 1:07

In the water reservoir of some of my violets, I'm finding some teeny light colored bugs floating on top of the water when I look to replenish the water. They move pretty fast and are so small they just skitter around on the tension of the water surface. On one strep, it looks like dust on the water until I look really close and see movement.

Do I need to worry about these? I don't notice anything moving on any of my blossoms, just on the water surface. I looked on Doctor Optimara and Steve Reed's bug sections and can't decide which of these fit the description. Do symphalans move fast?

Nancy, can you shed some light for me?

Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Thrips, springtails and symphalans

Hello:

Sounds very much like Symphyla. These are long, thin with two antena. They have many sections of the body and many legs, 12 pair as adults. Colors may vary but they are often very light.

These won't cause a lot of trouble but they do feed on the tiniest roots. If there happens to be a large infestation, the plant will wilt.

Check your soil. Are you using garden loam, by any means? These are often in the garden and eat on fruits and veggies there.

Use a teaspoon of bleach in a gallon of warm water and pour over rootball over the sink. Hopefully any other of these pests will be leached out. Pour the whole gallon over the rootball.

You might also wish to repot using soil less mix only.

I found one on a plant shelf. He died before he had time to get into a plant.

Nancy

They do move fast.

o
RE: Thrips, springtails and symphalans

Thanks, Nancy. I do just use a soilless mix that I made up myself. 1 part peat moss, 1 part perlite and 1 part vermicilute.

I'll try your suggestion with the bleach solution and then try repotting.

Elaine

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here