Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinder_devonshire

Flower question.

Kinder Devonshire
13 years ago

Hello everyone. Several months ago I posted a question and photos of a sport of Kentucky Strawberries (http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/afrviolet/msg0723543814761.html). It has been several months, and my first baby from the leaf I set down is up, and it is showing the same leaf color as the sport. Fingers crossed. They have gone through a second bloom cycle, and are holding stable. I was wondering though, if my second violet is stable, what does everyone think of it? The flower color is not uniform, nor is the leaf color, showing birthmarking on the undersides. The leaf I set on this one had a baby, and the leafs are looking true for this strange little violet.

This is how it looks now...

{{gwi:378992}}

And here is a family photo...

{{gwi:378995}}

Comments (6)

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Are you asking because you are thinking of registering it or do you just want other opinions?

Before you consider registering a plant, it should be evaluated to see if it really brings anything new or better to the AV world. If there are already others that are similar or it exhibits some undesirable characteristics, it probably shouldn't be registered.

If you like it and want to keep growing it, then that's a personal decision. My Ice Storm has either sported or reverted and I'm growing it out. Although the sport is nice, I don't think there's a shortage of light blue semidouble minis with a slight white edge, even floriferous ones that hold their blossoms upright :).

Ice Storm started birthmarking and I got tired of taking "clean" leaves from this one plant and it turned into an entirely different one. I still have Ice Storm too.

I don't know if that's what you wanted to hear except that they are fun.

Diana

• irina_co
    13 years ago

I agree with Diana - it is an educational piece - and I would take it to the club to show to my fellow members. I have an old unregistered variety that used to be white stars with blue edging - it started sporting - now we have a chimera, we have a leaf chimera with blue flowers and we have a number of plants with blotched leaves - half chimera flowers - half smeared blues blossoms. I tried to restart is with a leaf - to recover the original - but all I got is a bunch of "crazies" - just what Diana got in her Ice Storm experiment.

I.

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Just an opinion on this one. I think it is rather nice looking. I was going to look into registering the white sport as it does have a uniform color, and though you can't see it from the photo a light lavender tinge around the center.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

The photo isn't clear enough to see the white one very well, even if I were any judge of such things - and I don't think I am. I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

I still have Ice Storm too, BTW. I just have to keep an eagle eye on it and start new plants from "clean" leaves. It is a much smaller plant with lighter green foliage than the sport. So far the "sport" has been very stable and I wonder if it would have reverted to a parent. If so, it's not one with a photo in FC2.

Diana

One of my mom's old ones (all were originally named plants) suddenly went half and half, part blue and white, part blue. It's hard to be sure after all this time but it seems like it was probably an early mini. I eventually kept the blue half.

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My camera just won't take a good picture of the white one to get the color right. There is a bit of lavender in the center, and yellow or green streaks (I am not really sure which color to call them) there as well. I am angling to borrow my brother's camera, it is much better than my little point-and-shoot camera.

• irina_co
    13 years ago

We are definitely waiting for the better shot - especially with the yellow streaks!

Just white or white with lavender tint - I am sure there is plenty in 17000 registered. It is a registrant's call to decide if it is different enough and good enough of a plant to register.

I think you need to propagate it 3 times from the leaf to plant to leaf to plant - to be sure that it is stable.

Good Luck and waiting for the pic

Irina