Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Power Outages

dixiebug
9 years ago

I am new to the forum, although I have been registered since 2009. I have grown AVs for over 30 years off and on. I just started growing again these last 8 months or so. I have gone purchase happy on eBay, Violet Barn and Lyndon Lions and now have quite a large collection. I am very fond of minis, the smaller the better. My goal is to acquire every micro mini. I do have probably a dozen standards leaves and a couple young plants.

Anyway, the subject of my post. Three years ago we had a major snow and power outage for four days right before Thanksgiving. We ourselves nearly froze to death. I can only imagine the shape my AVs would be in if, I should say when, it happens again. How do I prepare for such a thing? What can I do to save my violets?

It's been warm this year, in the 50s, but it doesn't just take snow to knock our power out. Wind storms will do it as well. We are very rural where we live and it always takes at least 24 hours to get the power back on when there is a major outage.

We have a wood stove insert downstairs and just a regular fireplace upstairs. My daughter and son in law live downstairs. I have been wondering about wrapping the AV stands with plastic, but I am not sure what I would use as a heat source. We do have a generator.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Just a little paranoid,
Dixie

Comments (18)

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

No, I don't think you're paranoid at all, Dixie. I've lived in very rural areas and I know how you can almost count on a lengthy power outage or two every year. Even though I live in town now, last year the power went off during the winter and was out for two days - and I don't have any wood burning back up heat here. As I watched the indoor thermometer fall towards 55 degrees, I really worried about my violet collection. On the third morning, I headed out to the hardware store and bought a propane space heater and small propane tank, but wouldn't you know it - the power was back on when I got home, LOL. Oh, well. They're still in boxes in the garage, but now I have a back up plan ready for any future outages.

• terrilou
    9 years ago

You mentioned having a generator. We lived in the sticks for many years & installed a generator large enough to cover the house & and an attached greenhouse. We had to use it many times over the thirty plus years we were there. I somehow feel this is not the type of generator you have. . perhaps it is a smaller unit that could be aimed at one room?
    Now we live in town minus a generator and greenhouse. I don't worry as much about power outages but we have been lucky so far. All we have for backup is a gas fireplace. I have mentally made a checklist of the plants I could move to safety near it. Otherwise, I would probably cover the stands with blankets & hope the power returns. A propane space heater or two may be the best option, but I know you have to be very careful when using them.

• quimoi
    9 years ago

We live in a very rural area too and had no power (which meant no water too) for nearly a week in a blizzard some years ago. We have a spring which means a pump for our water.

A "real" generator is probably the best thing but they are somewhat costly and must be ready to use when needed. My fear was that if we bought one, it wouldn't be prepared anyway.

Lacking that, I would suggest some method of keeping a room or two warm (our fireplace was next to useless unless you wanted your rear warm...) and move your plants in there and cover them with something like a blanket - they'll survive the dark better than the chill. Don't have them too wet either. I have a bunch of quilt batting that is almost like felt (Warm n Natural) - something like that would work, I think. The cold would go right through plastic.

We came through it with aquariums and two birds but I stayed home from work and ran the kerosene heater. I know some plants frosted in the windows but I don't remember the details there - don't recall if I had violets at that moment. The kerosene heater does work but there may be better options.

Now we have a small wall gas heater but it doesn't heat much. Our cooktop is gas but after that, nothing works. I hate rural electric. Sometimes we can see people on the other electric company with their lights on! The line is that close.

My son got me a really nice electric lantern and I have a couple of good flashlights and headlights he gave me :) We do have kerosene lights but haven't used those as much now.

Diana in PA

• AnneCecilia z5 MI
    9 years ago

Dixie, I just wanted to add that when I said I had a small propane heater, I have one that is rated for *indoor* use. Still, I would only use it in an emergency, would never sleep with it running, and I would follow these rules:

⢠Use propane heaters manufactured for indoor use. (These consume less propane than outdoor models, and produce less CO.) And read the directions!

⢠Install a carbon monoxide alarm. The detectors are designed to sound the alarm before youâÂÂre feeling any symptoms.

⢠Pick a heater that has been tested and certified by a product safety group like UL.

⢠Keep kids and pets away from heaters, and never leave them alone in a room with one.

⢠Remember: âÂÂThree Feet from the Heat.â Propane heaters get hot, and can ignite nearby objects. Manufacturers will tell you not to run a propane heater while youâÂÂre sleeping.

⢠Set up your propane heater on a flat, level surface to prevent any knock-overs.

(Just wanted to be sure that if you went the propane route, you would be as safe as possible.) :-)
    Anne

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

you can use big styrofoam coolers, they go on sale at the end of summer (too late now though), the cheapest ones. you can layer sev pots in a cooler, probably will have to stack some plastic bins in between so the leaves go at dif heights. and may be some scrunched newspaper between pots, so they don't crash. then put the lid on. then you can throw a blanket on top too, if needed. if it's for a longer time and you need to water - water just minimally. at cooler temps, with plants in close quarters in the box with higher humidity you might be ok for as long as 10 days.
    but for longer then a few days you might need to forgo the lid and instead tape on two layers of large-bubble bubble wrap, so that they will get some light too.

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I see my email replies are not making it on the forum. My husband is very reluctant to use the propane heater in the house. We originally purchased it so he could have it in the garage while he is working out there.

I think we will have to use an electric heater with our generator. It's the only safe thing to do, I believe. I might have to buy a generator just for the AVs though, LOL!

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Petrushka, thanks that's a good idea. I would need quite a number of coolers. I'll see if i can find some.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

depending on how handy you or DH are, you might be able to use insulation poly boards and cut them to size to make a large flat box.
    i got this idea from this youtube video of constructing a solar heater using beer cans :)))).
    so you can stack poly panels double thickness and glue them with guerrilla glue using calking gun. then to seal them tight - caulk with silicone.
    it's more work, but you can make sev custom boxes too, if you can't get coolers. someone posted that you can often get them from fish handling shops for free. but since you're rural, you might not be near one, i guess. but perhaps you can drum something up by mail-order cheap? look at fishing supplies.

Here is a link that might be useful: video ... construction of a poly panel box

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

We actually have a lot of fishing here. I live on the Kitsap Peninsula, across the Puget Sound, northwest of Seattle. We have water on three sides of us. I'll look into both options. I think making the flat boxes might be best. I could fit more plants in them. With the coolers, even though I grow mostly minis, I wouldn't be able to fit many plants in each cooler. Unless, I figure out a way to layer the plants in the cooler. Maybe put a shelf over the first group and add another.

• Karin
    9 years ago

Depending on the size of your room, insulation of the window etc, you can use a bunch of candles to keep the room warm.

a stand with (i think) 12 tea lights, warmed our living room to 20 degreec C within about half an hour. if you had a smaller room, i think just a few candles would do, especially if your aim is just to preserve the temp, not raise it.

yeah, i wouldn't leave them there on their own. but in a pinch, it could do until you get a generator or other solution going.

Karin

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Wow Karin, I never would have thought about candles. That is an excellent idea. Then I wouldn't have to move the plants off the at all! Thank you so much! Less storage as well. Storing boxes or coolers would take much more room in our garage than storing candles for the purpose.

Dixie

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

I have some clear-lidded storage boxes. Plastic is a pretty good insulator, and if they are clear then you could maybe use the sun to warm them up inside-not direct sun, which would get too warm, but nearly. Most of the clear boxes aren't totally clear, which works well, and they are cheap and easy. Or you could just get plexiglass tops for your styrofoam boxes. You might wish to climb in with the plants. I use the boxes also sometimes to provide a little greenhouse while rooting, if I feel it is needed.

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

aseedisapromise, that's a good idea as well. Maybe the boxes coupled with the candles, I might be able to keep them warm. I am sure there are a lot of AV folks out there who are snowed in. I sure hope no one has lost their power.

Dixie

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

Also keep in mind that the temps will be warmer towards the ceiling, so get those violets up high if you can.

• aseedisapromise
    9 years ago

Also keep in mind that the temps will be higher towards the ceiling. So keep those violets up high if you can.

• zzackey
    9 years ago

We had a propane heater on the wall of our little house in New Jersey. I was scared to death of the flames going up and down. We lived there for two years with no problems. We also had a wood stove. We wore shorts and t-shirts all winter long, it was so toasty in the house. Kerosene heaters stink. They really scare me. Good luck. The styrofoam cooler sounds like a good idea.

• beesneeds
    9 years ago

A couple years ago we had a "Christmas that never happened" because we lost power the day before- and had no power for three days.

We kept to the living room, and ran a small space heater when the generator was running- and burned tons of candles when it wasn't running.

I'm not too sure I would try putting candles in or near boxes, but perhaps use chemical hand/foot warmers in boxes with your AV's to keep the chill off them if the power goes out.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

This thread arrived just in time! Our heater went out. Although it is not too cold here. Thanks, Karin for the ideas on tea lights. And thanks for the tips from Bees, I will get some hand warmers, too. (My sincere sympathies to those in Buffalo with six feet of snow. No one on this Forum.) joanne

Sponsored