Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
vistavino_gw

not in favor of African Violets

vistavino
10 years ago

My great-aunt used to be obsessed with African Violets. She had tons of these in clay pots with dirty aluminum Table Talk Pie drip pans. In the summer they were on the back porch. In the winter they were moved to the dining room windows. They were dusty, half dead, and a burden to care for. For this reason I have never been a fan of house plants. For me -there is nothing like a native plant that thrives in it's native environment in the great outdoors! Let it die back in the winter and burst back to life in the warm weather.

Comments (17)

• Karin
    10 years ago

Good thing you found out what you (don't) like. Now go take care of something that doesn't involve negativity in an awesomely positive place like this forum.

(Just replying so it quits being at the top of the page btw)

• irina_co
    10 years ago

I know the plant that V. will appreciate - it is called bindweed.
    Absolutely care free.

Anyway- he is right - if people start hoarding - any hobby becomes a nasty problem for everybody - cats, dogs, violets...If plants look semi-dead - why keep them? Better 3 happy ones than 333 miserable.

i.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

bindweed...?
    the poster joined the forum just to vent. Dave thinks AVs will take over the world, personally, I think it is those little white dogs that look like shitzus or blends that seem to be everywhere.

the gr-auntie probably just needed a little more TLC from her family.

Joanane

This post was edited by fortyseven on Mon, Jan 6, 14 at 2:28

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

I can offer some bindweed from the wild back part of my yard. Will send it for free

• philpet
    10 years ago

Violets are for people who love and care and respect them for their beauty and simplicity. So I am sure they are much better off not having someone who dislikes them as a owner. Afterall they die from being odsess over not to mention in the hands of someone who dislike them. I am sure your great- aunt loved them but maybe was not able to properly care for them and if you had help her you would have enjoyed how lovely they are. Pity, your grand-aunt would have appreciated the time you both would have spent together loving these plants. VELLETA.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

It sounds as though your aunt was growing violets before there was much knowledge about the proper way to grow them. But if they made her happy, then good for her. Anyway, to each his own but maybe you could take your negativity elsewhere.

Joanne,

Is this what you mean???

Linda

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

P.S. It is not 'it's native environment'. It is 'its native environment'.

Linda

English is my first language.

• taxonomist3
    10 years ago

LOL!

AV's in their native environment look VERY VERY ratty most of the year.

Give me a nicely groomed, blooming plant all year round like these hybrid AV's can do!

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Linda,
    Dog-speak, Dog A on the left to Dog B on the right:
    "Hey, when should we announce the take-over?"
    "We already have taken over, now, be quiet while I eat my filet mignon then take my nap!"
    Joanne

• Karin
    10 years ago

Hahahaha, at first I was going to jape about pestering the designer dog forum instead, but hey, a jackapoo or pugadoodle can't really help what people name them (mutts anyone?). And they may actually be lovable, we'll mannered canines ;-)
    As for dogs taking over, there is some college professor who apparently wrote a paper on the conspiracy of dogs and cats using us on their whim...
    No clue what that's about, I have a rough tough German shepherd, who sleeps on my pillow, gets liver on each bowl of kibble, has a blanket in each room, and whom I bake peanut butter-liver-asiago cookies for every week... Meh, he ain't spoiled at all...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Actually, they're not designer dogs. The one on the left is a purebred Maltese. Unfortunately, she left me in July. The one on the right is a who-knows-what rescue. I had a German Shepherd once. They're irresistible.

And, so this is African Violet related I will say this: they never eat my violets.

Linda

• Karin
    10 years ago

Linda, I have no problems with any dog, i was just mentioning designer dogs, because I hate the trend of people treating live animals as accessories.
    I would be worried if I ever met a jack Russell-gsd mix though ;-p

And as far as I know, AV's are poisonous to pets. - I offered one to my neighbour who hates his wife's cat - didn't give it to him though, I happen to like that cat :-D

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Fuzz on a plant's leaves is thought to help protect against too much sun. It also serves to help catch and hold water that will slowly drip off and provide water for the roots. This water on the leaves can also help provide humidity. It also serves as a buffer between the internal water levels in the leaf and the external environment. The pores (stomata) in a leaf are less likely to open when there is water in the nearby environment.

African Violets contain no natural poisons although the chemicals we use to control insects and diseases can be harmful if ingested. And, since we are nearing Christmas, it's time to dispel another untruth. Poinsettias are not poisonous although some people have an allergic reaction to the sap.
    Another old wife's tale down the drain.

Biology lesson for today. :)

Linda

• ultra_violet
    10 years ago

For surplus plants that I've been unable to find a home for, I've fantasized about tossing a big fresh AV salad rather than throwing them away. Extra croutons, no olives, and hold the Marathon please ;)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Now, for a matter of FACT i know i can do that with the young eyes of hosta. Sauteed in butter ... AVs, not so sure. I know a feral cat or two I'd like to try AVs out on ... but who wants to waste AVs?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Play nice, Dave.

Sponsored
J.S. Brown & Co.
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars77 Reviews
Columbus Leading Full Service Design Build Firm