Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
whitelacey1

Happy Thanksgiving Everyone!

Whitelacey
10 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here in the US and everywhere else as well.

I am thankful for my family and pets and the fact that I found somewhere where I can be a plant nerd and people don't nod off while I am discoursing on peat moss, plant genetics and proper pot sizes.

Thank you all,
Linda

Comments (13)

• paul_
    10 years ago

{{gwi:110755}}

• splatteredwhim
    10 years ago

Happy Thanksgiving!

I'm thankful for helpful people who are willing to put up with newbies fumbling around. And for cats that don't eat plants, and husbands that know how to cook.

I'm also thankful for pie.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

made the pie yesterday

turkey's in the oven

tators are boiling

eggs are waiting to be deviled

squash awaits my affections

rolls need to be browned and served

and the insides of my eyelids are waiting to be mapped while the cowboys get their derrys kicked ....

dave

• Karin
    10 years ago

Happy thanksgiving! We celebrated ours a few weeks back (Canucks ;-) )
    Today I am 'celebrating' Boxing Day - or was it packing day?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Dave,

Want to come live with me?
    (Bring your cooking skills.)

Linda

Also thankful that I did not have to cook today...or ever.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Mmm ⦠mumble ⦠thankful for for you-all, too ⦠mumble ⦠mmm ⦠my violets never looked better.

Mouthful of pumpkin bliss, the torte courtesy of La Boulange French pastry shop.

Ok, a few questions ⦠but no urgency â¦

1) what is foliar feeding? Does that just mean washing off the big kahuna leaves with a dilute solution of fert? I prefer to wash rather than spray so as not to leave spots.

2) when a group of us have tea, my friend collects the tea bags for her compost pile. On this forum, we decided a few weeks ago that tea does nothing for violets.

so â¦. what would the tea leaves themselves contribute to a compost pile? anything? nothing?

should they just go in with the green waste to be collected by the disposal service? Or should I fling them outback?

joanne

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

tea makes the compost pile 'taste' better ... especially the bags.

Dunno, we throw all the apples from our apple trees in there. Somewhere I read something about needing three parts for a good compost pile. Might be on the GW compost website.

I love my compost for the garden. Mixed with perlite it is wonderful stuff for slapping in the bottom of the hole when I transplant things outside. I put small diameter branches, and grass clippings and leaves in it. I get about 1/2 ton of quality compost each year from my pile, which is nothing more than five pallets stacked and staked. Move one and it is easy to turn.

dave

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Karin, Canadian, Eh?

Canadians say "eh", Mexicans say "si", Why don't we (U.S.) say "B"?

Couldn't resist ⦠sorree! (Yeah, we say that, too!)
    Joanne, oi!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanne,

Foliar feeding refers to feeding plants through their foliage. The idea is to spray with fertilizer water and the plant will absorb the fertilizer through their leaves. It was very big several years ago but it was always controversial. Everything I have ever read cast doubt on whether plants could absorb food in this way. There may be current info on this but I have never seen it. I do know that some still practice foliar feeding but mostly on outdoor plants.

I don't recommend feeding violets this way as they do not take kindly to cold water sitting on their leaves. You have to spray them with hot water which will cool by the time it hits the foliage. Then you have to hope it dries quickly. Not worth it, imo.

Tea adds the same thing as any other plant material: organic material. Good for outdoor plants but I wouldn't use it on my indoor ones. Too many critters and diseases.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Canadian alphabet

A eh B eh C eh ...

d eh ve

• Karin
    10 years ago

Lol, I have to admit, I've picked up that habit since moving to Canada (eh)
    Before I lived in Germany (ne)
    And before that in Switzerland (Oder)
    ;-)

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

How it all started ⦠the original name of the northernmost territory of the Americas was Cold Northern Division, or CND. When a local person was asked to spell it, he replied, "C, eh, N, eh, D, eh."

Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I'm staying out of this one!

Linda