Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Winter Prep for a Spring Miniature AV Exchange

dixiebug
9 years ago

I know it is not the time of year to be shipping (at least not in my part of the country), but what I would like to propose is we gather a list of folks on this forum who grow miniatures and want to participate. We could spend the winter getting organized, sharing our list of plants, making wish lists, possibly putting down leaves. Then come late spring we could begin sending leaves/young plants etc to each other.

I myself would like to collect all of the Optimara Little Indian and Little Jewel miniatures. I would like to acquire as many micro miniatures as I can find. I am very fond of bell blooms. I also like many of Rob's, but have a lot of them already. I currently have 60-75 plants and numerous leaves set down. I will only be keeping plants that I truly like once I have gotten to know them, so will have the plants that don't tickle my fancy available to trade as well.

Dixie

Comments (20)

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

i'd love to be in this discussion but i'm in Canada so we can't trade etc.... but i'd be happy to trade or to gift (de-clutter lol) with other Canadians once I have some adult miniatures.

I will be buying probably 10 minis from Robs next May ... i think .... I was ready to buy them for him to ship in early December (his next international shipment) but i had to force-stop myself ... it would have been too risky.

I have way too many plants too .... and i need to stop putting down leaves.... i'm out of control. :)

• Vikki
    9 years ago

You can count me in too. I'm in the US and have a number of minis and semis and am always happy to addto and share my collection. Right now I'm waiting for Pip Squeak to put out some babies. So far it's looking promising. With such tiny leaves, I'm always worried they won't make it. Once they start to turn it seem like only minutes before the whole leaf is gone - unlike standards where you can at least chop off the bad part and hopefully save the mama leaf.

• Karin
    9 years ago

I'd be up for a Canadian exchange :-) i tried to organize a round robin last fall, but noone seemed overly interested...

last i counted i had about 50 varieties, mostly minis, some trailers :-) funny how quickly a collection grows!

Karin

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

I am collecting semi's and should have enough for trading in the spring. Have plenty of leaves down so you should have plenty of extra babies.

• kaityinoregon
    9 years ago

I would be interested in trading as well! i have about 40 varieties of mini's and semi mini's now. Can't wait for spring!

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Great! We have some interest. Hopefully we will get more. If you know any mini, semi-mini or micro growers you should invite them to join us.

How do we want to organize? My thought would be to share a want list and then if anyone has that plant they could speak up. Hopefully, each person would have something the other would want to exchange. Any other suggestions?

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I have not forgotten about this swap. I think I may have been just a little immature in my proposal though. It might be too soon to get this started. No one responded to last post about sharing want lists or making suggestions of how to do this. So, maybe if I approach it again Feb. or maybe someone else with more experience with setting up a swap will offer to help.

Dixie

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Any one still interested in a semi/mini trade?

• kaityinoregon
    9 years ago

I'm up for a semi/mini trade!

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Great! Kathy - is your trade list updated? Mine is not as I just starting to figure out this new site.

• kaityinoregon
    9 years ago

I can't figure out how to get to my wish list with this new website! I'm assuming it's correct though :-)

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Looking at your list - Are you still look Jolly Jubilee, Rob's Argyle Socks, and Classic Rock? On your list I like Rob's Love bite, Frosty Bubbles, Ness Crinkle Blue, and Jolly Orchid. I have to check what I have leaves for and what I have babies of since I have been potting up babies the last 2 weeks.

• kaityinoregon
    9 years ago

Here is what i have leaves/plantlets of to trade at the moment:

Irish Flirt

Rob's Heebie Jeebie

Rob's Fuzzy Navel

Raspberry Sizzle

Senks Alchemy Bells

Jolly Orchid

Jolly Victory

Ness Satin Rose

Ness Crinkle Blue - plant is small. can't guarantee the leaves will do great.

Rob's Squeeze Toy

Ness Sheer Peach

Senks Vespa Verde

Rob's Berry Shake

Let me know what interests you...

Kaity

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

Rob's Squeeze Toy, Rob's Heebie Jeebie, and Raspberry Sizzle would be of interest.

• User
    9 years ago

*sigh* If ONLY I had a few more miniature plants! I only have three that are in the "trading" stage... but I did just order leaves for 17 more varieties... and I have cuttings from about 13 more coming in trades! I'll probably have lots to trade by late summer because I do not have room for every single set of mouse ears that pokes through!

• kaityinoregon
    9 years ago

Brunilda: Great! I've already got classic rock but would love Jolly Jubilee and Rob's Argyle Socks. Do you have anything else available?

• Brunilda
    9 years ago

For Rob's Argyle Socks -. I have a good size baby, Jolly Jubilee - leaves. I have Cupids Jewel, Frist Prize, Rob's Blue Socks, Jolly Dear, Jolly Gold Halo, Optimara little Blackfoot, Optimara little Cheyenne Girl, Optimara little Maya, Rob's Bahama Mama, Rob's Mad Cat, Rob's Vanilla Trail, and Twist n Shout.

• Rosie1949
    8 years ago

Thanks for following me! For some reason I went to your profile page and it would not let me message you yet.

I don't have any of the violets you want but I would like to know if you are interested in working out something for Chantaspring? For some reason that is one of the violets I have a fascination for. Rosie

• ny4216350
    8 years ago

Rosie,

I just left a message in your profile box re: your WANT list. I do have some for you. Chantaspring is one of them. I understand your fascination. It is indeed irresistible. In addition, Pixie Pink, Pixie Blue, Amandie Trail (or Amadie Trail, I do not know which is the registered name), Lil Runaround, and Cirelda. My profile box does not seem to have this personal message fearture built in. I have to find out why...Anyway, let me know what you are still looking for.