Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvofroses

Mystery solved but still odd

luvofroses
14 years ago

I had posted about my leaf that I put down from Ma's Ching Dynasty and how strange that leaf at the top of the mother leaf was. Well I was checking tonight and noticed that we do now have mouse ears but they are growing behind the mother leaf not in front So they are between the leaf and the rim of the solo cup but there are mouse ears and we still have that stange leaf. Thought I would just give an update

Ann in So UT

Comments (11)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Mutant ninja violets? Actually, babys coming up behind the leaf aren't that unusual, especially if the leaf is more vertical.

Barbara

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Barbara I am really still so very new to this that all my mouse ears have been in front so to me this was so odd but I glad to know that they ar not mutant ninjas. But they might have been really cute.
    Ann in So Ut

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Ann did you forward slant cut the leaf? It's my understanding if you forward slat cut the babies usually come in front of the leaf when cut that way.
    Barbara are you saying even if forward slant cut but the leaf is planted up and down more than at a slant back babies are possible?
    Just trying to get this straight in my mind.,,,Debbie

• bspofford
    14 years ago

When I plant my leaves, I have them slightly slanted backwards to discourage plantlets coming from the underneath or back of the leaf. If they do, it's not the end of the world, but they do seem somewhat misshapen for me. It's just one of the things I do to give them the best start possible.

Barbara

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Gotcha!
    Thanks Barbara!,,,Debbie

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

I always cut mine at a forward slant and plant with the leaf leaning back a little. It is amazing to me that I've have quite a few come up behind the leaf even if not in front. I just remove it from it's bag and trim mother leaf so the baby can get some light.

I put down 2 leaves of Lyon's Lavender Magic 12/08 (3" pot-needed more info). One leaf is well rooted but no plantlet. The other has the plantlet growing right out of the leaf, towards the bottom but definitely out of the rib (?) of the mother and has sent out some air roots.

Question to anyone who knows more than me - do I reset the leaf lower in a smaller pot or cut away the leaf and treat more like a sucker?

Thanks, Mary

• bspofford
    14 years ago

You can do that to help it form a root system. Any babies that may come from the end of the leaf will simply have a longer way to go to erupt above the soil.

Barbara

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    you mentioned about babies having a longer distance to grow to reach the soil....(I'm guessing when a leaf is put all the way down into the dirt?)

I have found that the longer it takes the baby to get the the surface/the deeper the root system.....that the stronger that plant is in the long run. when transplated, it doesn't wobble, or wilt and takes off running/growing when separated :)

I once put a leaf at a 45 degree angle into the dirt and had mouse ears within a month...but the root system was so shallow that it was a pathetic plant and I eventually got so tired of it that I trashed it.

Now, I angle cut the leaves, stick them straight down into the cup/soil and let 'em grow. If the mother leaf is bigger than a child's palm, I cut it off halfway.

What about you? Am I understanding your post the right way?

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Dora,

When I plant my leaves, I may tend to put them a little deeper than some. On a standard sized leaf I'll probably plant it at least 1.5 inches, sometimes more. I find most plantlets start from the end of the leaf, so by the time they show mouse ears they have a pretty good start. The only reason I tip the leaf back (no more than 45 degrees,) is to provide light to the area I want the baby ears to appear. If multiple babies appear, sometimes there is a runt or two, but I may discard them and plant only the strongest ones.

Barbara

• luvofroses
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Wow after reading all these post I am surprised that I have mouse ears anywhere. I never thought about the angle I have just cut, planted, watered, bagged and sat on the plant stand or window sill. Please don't tell my mother leaves that they were supposed to be angled.(LOL!!!) I also usually put the mother leave to be back of the cup thinking i was giving more room in front for mouse ears to grow So far the little ones growing in the back of the leaf are doing well.Thanks for all the answers and explanations of what I should be doing. See I am still so new that I don't know when I am doing it wrong.Hopefully they will continue to grow. Thanks again
    Ann in So UT

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Barbara,
    We are doing the same thing when we plant leaves. I think I just misunderstood what you posted.

when I cut, I cut at the angle with the blade, stick it straight down into the soil mix until the bottom of the leaf touches the soil - obviously if it is a mini leaf, there's a lot less distance from cut to top than a standard leaf..that's why I just stick it down till the leaf touches the soil.

They are angled just a bit so that the mouse ears will sprout in front of the leaf but I don't think I do it 45 degrees or more.

Curious minds want to know :) (and learn)

And to luvofroses - YOu're doing plenty right enough.....otherwise, you wouldn't have those mouse ears. Keep having fun and learning along the way.

Dora

Sponsored
Kuhns Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars26 Reviews
Central Ohio's Trusted Home Remodeler Specializing in Kitchens & Baths