Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Looking for light fixture source

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

I've got a new plant stand (yippie!!) but it is currently without any light fixtures.

I need 4 fixtures with 2 bulbs each. I think they come in 4 ft lengths?

An AV friend of mine got hers from a hardware store but since I don't know that much about the lights in general, I'm not sure that is best for my plants.

I'm expanding my growing capabilities and need some good quality grow lights without spending an arm and a leg.

1) Is that a realistic expectation?

2) What lights would you recommend?

3) Source?

Thanks in advance,

Dora

Comments (11)

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

Hi Dora
    I always get mine at Home Depot. They have several different styles and price ranges.
    Works for me!
    Good luck shopping!

• itsdeb
    15 years ago

Good old Walmart! They are carrying an inexpensive 4 foot long 2 bulb fixture with electronic ballast that will take either the T8 or T12 tubes. They come with chain and hooks to hang them under your shelf. Some models also have an on/off chain. Look on the asile where they sell the light bulbs.

Best Wishes,
    ItsDeb

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

ok, so what kind of bulbs?

Dora

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Dora-

the standard tubes will be a combination of cool white and warm white in each fixture - I think 40 watts each.

If your fixtures take T8 bulbs - buy theese. They are skinnier ones - and more expensive - but they are 34 watts - so they use less - they are brighter - so you can decrease the turn on time.

Irina

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I'm pleading ignorance here beforehand....but how do you know what kind of bulb your light will take?

right now, I have two brand new bulbs that are Sylvania Cool White bulbs. They say they are 34 watts. I bought them in preparation of the next 2 bulbs that go out. They are unopened so if this isn't really the best bulbs for me to be using in my fixtures - please let me know before I open them.

Since I'm going to be purchasing the actual fixtures - I want to make sure that I get what will be best for my plants and growing goals as well as economical for my pocket book.

I'm planning an educational/learning trip tomorrow to Lowe's/HomeDepot so I can check out my options.

I'm curious as to if I need to look for certain features in a shop light and now I think I may need to be looking for a fixture that takes a T8 bulb (whatever that is - I'm sure I'll learn tomorrow)

What I really would like for Santa to bring me is the COMPACT LIGHT CART with 3 or 4 shelves found in the link below. Since I was given the newest plant stand (actually metro shelving with poles and casters) free by a friend, I need to adapt this mobile shelving with some light fixtures and be thankful for the generosity and love of this dear friend. I don't think I'm ready to swallow spending $500 or $600 on a plant stand yet.

Dora

Here is a link that might be useful: Compact Light Cart w/ 3 or 4 Shelves from Violet Showcase

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

What IS the difference in T8 and T12? Are the pins that fit into the fixture different?

I used 34 watts for years then happen to buy 40 watts and can easily see the difference. It is so much brighter. When these bulbs are used up I will use only the 40 watt bulbs.

I'd like to know more about the T8 bulbs. I know they are going to replace all the bulbs in every office in the world one day, but that will undoubtedly take a very long time.

You have to buy T8 fixtures to use T8 bulbs. They are energy savers yet produce more intensity from the bulb.

It would be nice to have someone come on to explain about lighting. No one seems really to know all about it.

Nancy

• erlyberd
    15 years ago

If you by the light fixtures at Wal mart they can run 40, 32 or 25 watt bulbs. T8 means nothing more than the bulb diameter. T8 = 7/8" I believe and T12 = 1" or 1 1/4 or something. Yes, pins are the same.

• bspofford
    15 years ago

If one googles 't8 versus t12' you will get more technical information than you know what to do with. I looked at a couple of the postings, and there are some great charts showing wattage and brightness.

For light fixtures, I have been very disappointed with the ones from W/M. Some were bent in the box, some never worked, some burned out the ballast quickly. I've had better luck with shop lights from H/D for pretty much the same prices.

When buying a timer, be sure to get one that will accept a 3-prong plug.

For bulbs, I've had good luck with one warm white and one cool white in each 4 foot fixture.

Barbara

• irina_co
    15 years ago

here,here!

I am with Barbara - the cheapest shoplight Walmart is so cheap - you will be spending gas replacing the ones that never worked to the new ones that may work.

I go to HD. Last fixture I bought - was in Ace Hardware - and it was $19.99 and it was to use with T8 and T12. Got carried away.

My guess is T8 34 wt gives more light than T12 40 wt.

There is a great article in a new AV magazine on lights.

Irina

PS For Dora - I would buy a pack of warm whites to compliment cool whites- or if you want to spend more money for a bit better results - a pack of Gro-lights - to mix with cool whites. There is always space for adjustment of time they are on and if you keep your lights for a year - you need to replace them in any case,

• trackstar8590
    10 years ago

When you are looking to purchase light fixtures I recommend you take a look at www.lighting55.com. This website offers you compatible priced fixtures that are sure to impress your friends and neighbors, while serving their purpose. www.lighting55.com will offer you more options at better prices than Home Depot and Lowes will be able to offer you.

• Mary246
    10 years ago

When you are shopping for bulbs, one more thing to look at (besides the cool vs warm wave length)...........also look at how many lumens. Lumens tells you the brightness over 1 square meter so the higher the lumens the brighter the light is. Some T8 bulbs are much higher in lumens than the T12.
    So actually, you are looking at 3 things: one is the fixture, one is the warm and cool wavelengths...and one is the size of the bulb (T8 or T12)
    Mary