Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
missschultz

Propagation gone wild

missschultz
11 years ago

Hi, i am only a newbie to both the forum and AV's, but i have planted a few leaves to propagate, and most grew as i would expect them to, but one of my little plants has grown wild, shooting leaves from every angle. I am wondering if i have done something right/wrong with this one, or if there is something else going on here. They were all planted at the same time in the same soil and kept in the same place.

The one on the left is what i assume is growing normal, and the one on the right is growing from infront of the 2 mother leaves, behind them, under them and all around them too.

Thanks.

Comments (25)

• irina_co
    11 years ago

Both of your pots have more than one new plant. The one on the left - 2, the one on the right - several. You need to separate them. Each leaf can give you 1-10 babies, and you do not grow them in the same pot - you select the strongest ones - toss the weak - and pot them individually.

Good Job

Irina

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for your reply. Both pots had 2 leaves planted in them, so one must have just grown more than the other.
    So when can I repot these plants? Do they have to grow to a certain size? I'm sure the one on the left is good to go, but wondering about the one on the right.

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

They look great and definitely ready to separate into their own pots.

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

also for individual plants your pots will need to be much smaller than the ones in your picture. especially since your plants are still small. two inch pots are good. these are solo cup size or just use the solo cups (adding holes in bottom for drainage).

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. I know i've got one AV pot around here somewhere, so i will have to find a couple more little pots :)

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

check out the post under yours on discussion page about too much light or something else? at the bottom there is a recent post about a place to order small pots.

• Brighid
    11 years ago

Congratulations! These look like they're doing really well. Looks exactly like what my leaves do when they start growing into new plants. Like the others said, just separate them. Soon you'll have a bunch of lovely new AV's to brag about.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hi, thanks to everyones help i managed to repot and realised just how many actually grow from one leaf. I potted 9 from 2 of the leaves, because i have no idea the colour of these, so don't want to get rid of any of them yet. Thought i would show you what i managed to do with your help. Thay are all thriving.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And a close up of my favourite, namely because it is the strongest and already blooming.
    Thanks everyone for your help.

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    11 years ago

Looking good! HAVE FUN! That's the main thing!

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

Thanks for your pictures, I love plant propagation photos. Good Luck!

• aviolet6
    11 years ago

Nice work

• nashuan
    11 years ago

The little plants all look healthy and happy. Will you post photos again when they all start blooming so we can see your success?

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Sure will. I'm waiting for them to bloom so I can see their colours, as I can't keep all the babies, but want to keep at least one of each colour. But there's so many plantlets I don't know what to do with them all. They're just random AV's from the local nursery.

• irina_co
    11 years ago

You grow them to the decent size - and gift them off to unsuspecting friends. this way - you will have friends possibly catching the AV bug.

I.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Haha, Irina, I like the way you think :)

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Hello again, for those that asked for updates, here's where I am so far. I have had a second one flower with the same purple as my first, and 2 more flower in pink, which is lucky as i don't want them all the same colour.
    Here's a picture of my first one that flowered, and it hasn't stopped flowering since that day.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And here's the first one of the pink ones.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

And the second one.

The rest still don't have babies, or are still plantlets attached to the mother leaves. I haven't planted them out yet, as i am hoping they will flower there, and when I see what colours the flowers are, then i can plant out the ones i want.

Thanks for looking :)

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A recent group shot..

• aegis1000
    11 years ago

Wow ...

Your violets are lovely, MissSchultz ...

You're really taking good care of them.

• missschultz
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. I'm no green thumb by any means. I think they just really like the windowsill they are sitting on.

• perle_de_or
    11 years ago

They are really beautiful, thank you for sharing.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    11 years ago

Give yourself the credit; not the windowsill! You are obviously doing everything right! :)

Linda

• missschultz
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Hello again...just another update. I had a NOID mini grow and bloom, so thought I'd show you a photo... Thanks for looking.

Sponsored
Bull Run Kitchen and Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars273 Reviews
Virginia's Top Rated Kitchen & Bath Renovation Firm I Best of Houzz