Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Anticipation

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

I've had this plant for almost 3 years and this is the first bloom it has produced. Not sure why it has taken it's time...but it's almost here.

{{gwi:379383}}

{{gwi:379384}}

The anticipation is killing me.

Dora

Comments (16)

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

heehee, awesome :-D

• Christine
    15 years ago

Please post a pic of the blooms when they open so we're not left in suspense!

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

Looks like it will be purple or a very dark red.

Does it get plenty of light? Foliage looks excellent.

Nancy

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

That would so so cool if it were red. I don't have any red and that would be really worth waiting for.

I keep it on the plant stand with the grow lights - they are on from 6:30 am till 9:30 pm. The foliage is my favorite part (so far) about the plant. It's a NOID but all this time has remained very special to me because of the varigation and how beautiful it is.

I'm hoping it will be open by Friday.

I'll be sure to post pix when it does open.

Dora

• plantlady052847
    15 years ago

Beautiful plant--can't wait to see the blooms!

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

i love the underneath being red and just a little fuzz. molly

• kolfinna
    15 years ago

I have one like that--it has purple, pansy-style flowers.

I agree, though, red would be amazing. :D

~K

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

This is the NOID that I affectionately refer to as "Pinky V"

I've been gone all day today with business appointments and was hoping to come home and find her open a bit.
    No such luck. She is really teasing me beyond measure.
    Maybe tomorrow?

Dora

• plantlady052847
    15 years ago

Anything yet????

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Yes! Only one is open.
    It's a very dark purple - almost black. On the inside of the flower is a lighter purple cluster of petal and then the yellow piston looking part. I've never seen anything like it.

I don't have my camera until tomorrow to show you though.

Dora

• plantlady052847
    15 years ago

I am a big fan of black flowers...can't wait to see it! My first and favorite strep was Black Panther. Hmmm...would like to have that one again.

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

As promised, here is what I was able to capture today:

{{gwi:379385}}

{{gwi:379387}}

I know all computer screens are different so I'm not sure what color the bloom is showing up on what you are seeing but this petal is almost black.

What I find so unique is 2 things.....
    1)the ruffly bloom part right around the yellow dots (someone please tell me the correct names for these dots)at the center is a lighter purple.

2) Look on the 2nd picture at the stem facing straight up. Look below the buds that face the right that are unopened yet. Look behind that at the baby leaves growing out of where the actual leaf meets the stem/petiole. There are 2 that are about the size of an eraser head.

I've never seen anything like it and I am beside myself with excitement that after having this plant so long, not know what kind it is, almost chopping it to death to get it going in the right direction and nurturing it for the past few months - I have this gorgeous plant to look at each day and appreciate it's unique qualities.

(I'm going to ignore the fact that I'm out of town for the next 9 days beginning Thursday morning - but I have pictures and that will have to work when I don't have blooms on the plant)

If anyone has a bit of certainty about which plant this officially is - I'd love to hear your ideas even though I clearly understand that we can never be certain and I have affectionately referred to her as "Pinky V" for almost 3 years now. I might have to call her Dark V or Midnight if I ever enter it for show.

The anticipation is over and your feedback is appreciated.
    Dora

• dragonfly2008
    15 years ago

Hi Dora,
    The blooms look red on my computer screen!

• plantlady052847
    15 years ago

Those yellow thingys are the anthers(pollen sacs). In the first picture, the blooms appear very dark, they are a beautiful dark red in the second. Great growing! It is beautiful!!! :-D

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

dora, these are awsome pics. just beautiful,molly

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Dora, beautiful plant and flowers. On my screen, the first picture they are dark maroon color. The second picture they are cranberry. What ever color, the leaves and the flowers are awesome!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting