Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
splatteredwhim

Any reason to NOT leave plants domed all winter?

splatteredwhim
10 years ago

Hi,

A few weeks back, I separated some little plants from leaves, and left them covered in clamshell containers while they recover. Most of what I've read seems to say to start uncovering them after a few weeks once the roots are developed. But now it's getting cold and the heater is coming on more often, and the air is getting quite dry. Is there any reason why I shouldn't just leave them in the clamshell containers till spring?

I apologize for such a noob question. These are my first leaves, so I don't really have much confidence yet.

Comments (21)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I have plants that I keep domed all winter, usually babies or those that are struggling. Just watch that they are properly watered. I do vent them just a bit occasionally.

Linda

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

Properly watered is key. Make sure they don't get too much water. Damp and cool can be a dangerous thing ...

dave

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Good to know. So if I do keep them covered, keeping away from a chilly windowsill would probably be a good idea. Although, I'm suspecting the chilly windowsill is probably less than a good idea, no matter what...correct?

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I wouldn't keep them right up by the window. What I do with covered leaves is when condensation builds up I take the cover off for a while.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I keep my young ones on heat mats through the winter. If you can find a place that will accommodate that situation it will benefit your plants greatly.

Dave,

Damp and cool...sounds like a guy I used to know...

Linda

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Used to know? He must have ended up with rot, from the sound of it. ;)

I've put them in a warmer spot for now but I'm concerned it doesn't have enough light. Which is worse, too cool or too dark?

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi SW,
    I vote for too dark being worse than a little on the cool side.
    However, will await the "experts" to weigh in.
    Joanne

• irina_co
    10 years ago

What's better - hunger or thirst?

Let's mitigate what we have - you can put your plants on a styrofoam sheet to protect from the cold on a bottom- and pin the plastic to the window to protect against drafts.
    The old method - before the vinyl windows - was to glue the strips of white paper to the edges of the wooden window frames to cover the cracks. You can use a thick soap solution to stick them - easy to remove - just rewet them in a spring.
    Make sure that you keep your plants moderately watered, never really wet. Heating mat is a good idea - as is or combined with domes.Plastic pots are better than clay - water evaporates through the clay cooling the pot.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

⦠cooling the pot ⦠wow, never thought of that â¦makes sense ...
    J

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Ok, so I've put down some insulation to mitigate the draftiness. I'm taking them out of the window at night when it gets the chilliest right now.

I'm looking forward to moving at the end of December, when I'll go from an apartment with north windows, to one with southwest windows, and maybe enough space that I can have a shelf just for the plants. *fingers crossed on that one*

Will setting the watered plants on paper towels or newspaper pull enough moisture away to keep them moist but not wet? That's my current operating procedure.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Dear SW (Your name sounds like a great name for
    a Fantasy or Chiera violet!)
    You asked: "Will setting the watered plants on paper towels or newspaper pull enough moisture away to keep them moist but not wet?"

In my experience, no, the opposite will happen. The paper towels act like a wick
    to draw water away. As the p. towel dries out, the paper
    draws out too much moisture.

When wrapping plants for moving, I first put the plant
    in cellophane sleeve, then paper around the outside.
    When I used just paper, and left the plant wrapped
    too long, the paper seemed to dry out
    the leaves, also, as the leaves were wilted.

Joanne

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Joanne, I actually meant setting the plants on the paper towels after watering to pull away the extra water, not so much for a permanent sitting situation. So maybe that would be a good way to keep the moisture down without letting everyone get parched. Even though they're covered, they seem to get pretty dry in a week-and-a-half to two weeks.

I like the cellophane sleeve idea for moving. I've been concerned about making it without ripping up all the outer leaves.

I've been reading the other thread that talks about moving recently, which has also been helpful. I think I will be moving all living things (plants...cats...husbands) in a car, so at least I'll only have myself to blame for any damage. And hopefully, I can get those things squared away before dealing with other boxes.

• Karin
    10 years ago

I never thoght about actively needing to draw out moisture... I keep most of my plants on seedling trays, which have grooves in the bottom, so water that drips out doesn't touch the pots (unless there is a lot of it). There is also some air circulation, which I believe is good for them...
    My windowsill violets are in plastic pots sitting in ceramic mugs, but I put marbles etc. in the bottom, again so run off doesn't touch the pot.
    If you are planning on keeping them domed, maybe just leave them open for a bit after watering...

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Remember when using the sleeves to let your plants go a bit dry. That makes the leaves a little flibbely and they won't snap off when bagged. Then you can set them in some water to replenish the water in the soil.

Linda

P.S. Is that picture a bit difficult to look at or was my Saturday night a little too 'active'?

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

To SW
    How many husbands in your collection? ;0)
    To Linda
    "flibbely?" is that a hort. term?!
    Joanne

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Flibbely-adj.-to be flibbled.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

;oD Tickling my funny bone!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Not an official word but it should be! You know exactly what I mean when I say it, don't you??!! :)

Linda

• splatteredwhim
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Flibbely is a good word. It sounds exactly like what it means.

As for husband collections, just one right now. They're a bit expensive for more. :p

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

picture deflibbilated ...

dave *interior deflibberation specialtification guro*

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Dave,

It seems as though your week-end was more active than mine...

Linda