Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kinder_devonshire

Leaves have arrived.

Kinder Devonshire
14 years ago

My order from Cedar Creek has arrived. I ordered ten different leaves, and they sent me twelve, so now I have twenty-four little leaves sitting in my little greenhouse. They all arrived in great shape, all crisp and fresh.

So, I trimmed the stem at a front angle, clipped off the top of the leaf and planted them in a 1:1 mixture of Sphangnum peat moss and perlite. My greenhouse currently reads 71 degrees and 95 humidity.

So now I just have to keep my fingers crossed and be patient for the next couple months...that's gonna be a long wait...

=^._.^=

Comments (9)

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Yeah, now the hard part.......

You mentioned in your first post that you have been doing some reading. Are you in an area that has an AV club? You can check the AVSA website for (hopefully) one near you. If so, I encourage you to join the group. You'll meet lots of like-minded people that are most willing to share their experience and your enthusiasm.

Good growing.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: avsa website

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

well...at least you won't have to wait 9 months like a pregnant woman.

Dora

Please keep us posted :)

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Two months is going to feel like nine, though. And it looks as if there are no AV clubs here in Idaho, not a hotbed of Violet activity, I suppose. I trimmed two of my noid minis of suckers, so at least I have some little plantletts to play with for a while...
    =^._.^=

• bspofford
    14 years ago

If you happen to live in Northern Idaho, there is a vendor in Spokane!

If not, at least visit his website; he has a lot of information there. And then you can think of a reason you need to go to Spokane!

Good growing.

Barbara

Here is a link that might be useful: Steve Reed

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Steve's in Washington, not Idaho...
    ;-)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Congrats on your new leaves and good luck with them! Isn't it fun to receive packages! Like Christmas to me,,,or better actually because you get what you want every time! haha.
    I am fairly new to the AV scene too and planted leaves as I would get plants or if I found broken off leaves in packages I received. I am happy to say all have rooted in and now I'm waiting for 'mouse ears' to show.
    These have done so well thus far I even like you ordered some leaves to play with this winter. I hope I do as well with the bought leaves!
    I do have a question folks. I read on a site that besides the frontwards slant cut to cut upwards a bit. Does this promote faster plantlets or more of them or what is the purpose?
    Have a Happy Thanksgiving ya'll!,,,Debbie

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Steve is in Spokane......Spokane is in Wahington......Steve is in Washington.......

If one lives in Northern Idaho, Spokane is really the closest 'big' city.

Sort of like Boston is to our Portland.....

Okay, mermie, enough geography for today.... go eat some turkey...

Barbara

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Idaho & Iowa confusion... Dang that letter "I"!!

• Kinder Devonshire
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Well, I am in Southwest Idaho, the nearest state is Utah... Didn't see anything listed for Utah as well... Maybe something will be going on when I visit my sister this summer. She is an hour or so out of DC.

So far my leaves are doing good. They haven't wilted or rotted, so I am taking that as a good sign. One of my little minis that I removed suckers from went into the aquarium, I removed four old suckers from it (they had little roots on them) and it was looking a bit sad. He is looking much better now, and as I apparently didn't root him back deep enough in the potting mix I saw little roots popping out under the leaves. That is also making me hopeful for my leaves. The temperature is hanging around 76 degrees with the light on and the humidity is a steady 95%.

I did visit Steve's page, he has some lovely violets. I also went to Faye's page, and saw some that I want... I need to get my brother to build me a plant stand for all the babies I want. They are all not going to fit on my little 2x2 foot end table especially if even only half my leaves take.

As for info, I have gotten a couple books and I am hitting my mom for information. She says she hasn't been able to keep them alive, but grandma kept them, and now my aunt has them, so she knows some stuff about AV's.
    =^._.^=