Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
clarification for trimming leaves

Posted by bspofford Maine (My Page) on
Sat, Nov 24, 07 at 10:08

An informal discussion was held at the first club meeting. One of the things discussed was trimming large leaves when propagating. There seemed to be two concepts; one was to trim off the tip end of the leaf by about a 1/3 at the time of potting, to keep the leaf from continuing to grow. Another said the tip was trimmed AFTER babies sprouted to keep additional babies from sprouting. Any clarification on this?

Also, thrips was pronounced two different ways, one to rhyme with 'chips' and one to rhyme with 'pipes'. Which is correct?

Thanks

Barbara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: clarification for trimming leaves

"African Violets Gifts form Nature" book says "To rechannel as much energy as possible to the newly-formed plantlets take a pair of scissors and snip off one-half of the mother leaf. Do not do this until you see the first signs of a plantlet forming."
I myself used to cut the tips off before planting, but now I'm thinking that it might be too much stress for the leaf, so now I cut the tips off when I think the plantlets are growing too slowly. But most of the time the leaf will root and produce plantlets either way, and I didn't do any experiments to compare which way is faster, probably someone here did, maybe they'll reply.

o

Thrips is singular or plural and rhymes with chips.

I saw a thrips.

Many thrips may carry seriously deadly virus germs.

I usually cut off the tips or the sides of a very large leaf before planting. This is only for convenience because I would likely miss it if I waited until babies started arriving.

Nancy

o

I think it is the only way to handle LARGE leaves - we want to have babies sooner - so we limit the size of the pot to a solo cup - and if the leaf is a size of the palm - it will make the cup unstable - so if we chop the tip and the sides if necessary as Nancy does - the pot is more stable and the babies are coming sooner. I do not cut mini leaves or small standards - just to preserve all the nutrients available.

Irina

It was too much food...

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here