Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sparkleclown

Browing Leaves

sparkleclown
15 years ago

I have an African Violet that is nicely shaped but I am having problems with the bottom leaves turning brown, actually more of a tan color. What am I doing wrong? Does it need to be transplanted?

Comments (6)

• kolfinna
    15 years ago

Can you provide a picture?
    Mine's getting brown spots on the lower leaves and the crown, but otherwise seems to be in okay shape. It almost looks like water leafspotting...

• sparkleclown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

These two pictures should show what I am dealing with. They are not spotted just turning a light tan color.

(I can't figure out how to post this. Here is the link maybe you can cut and paste it in your browser. Sorry)

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/sparkleclown/DSCN1509.jpg

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff106/sparkleclown/DSCN1508.jpg

• kolfinna
    15 years ago

Hello!

No problem-- I find that the best way to post a picture is by typing in the following command:

I've put spaces inbetween the brackets so the code won't execute.

If you take out the spaces by the brackets, then you get the following:

{{gwi:379539}}

{{gwi:379541}}

You can post pictures without the width/height specifications, but sometimes images are huge...and typically 640x480 resolution is enough to see any details.

As to the browning of the leaves, it seems like a form of general chlorosis, which could be indicative of a bigger problem.
    Does your violet flower?
    Also, some general questions:
    - How much light is the plant getting?
    - What temperatures is the violet being exposed to (i.e., cold draft from a window)?
    - Has it been repotted recently? If so, what kind of soil/potting mixture did you use? A nutrient deficiency or pH imbalance can cause chlorosis.
    - Finally, is your violet exhibiting any other symptoms, i.e., mushiness of leaves, webbing, excess/no plant hairs in the crown, etc?

The browning leaves look kinda healthy, aside from the obvious discoloration.

Does anyone else have thoughts?

Thanks!

~K

• bspofford
    15 years ago

Hmmm. I can't answer what the problem is, but if it were my plant, I would remove all, and I do mean ALL, of the discolored leaves. You will then have a much smaller plant, and it should be potted into a smaller pot. Remember, the pot should be 1/3 the diameter of the plant.

What are you using for potting mix? It almost looks like bark on the top. After we know what you are using, we can advise you on changing it or not.

Barbara

• sparkleclown
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sorry for the slow response. I've never transplanted it so it is in the same mixture it came in. It is by an east facing window so that is the light it is getting. I suppose it could be getting some draft but this started before it started getting cold.
    It was flowering but not for a while now.
    Any help would be appreciated

• irina_co
    15 years ago

I second Barbara. Looks like it needs repotting into the fresh mix and fertilizing. Otherwise it looks healthy enough.

If you do not repot it for more than a year - the soil deteriorates - and even if you fertilize it - the plant doesn't absorb the goodies - and it starts cannibalizing older leaves.

New soil should be light- 1:1:1 peat-perlite-vermiculite - or you can get a bag soil for violets, a bag of perlite - and mix half and half. It will work too. Wood chips are not welcome - because when they rot, they absorb the nitrogen from the soil starving the plant.

Good luck

Irina