Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susan_kc

Violet Rescue--need opinions!

susan_kc
10 years ago

Yesterday I found Suncoast Lavender Silk at my local garden shop!! I couldn't pass it up because it's on my wish list and it's such a lovely plant. BUT, it was sitting in about an inch of water and has been for at least a week (I talked to the lady--"Oh, no, we don't have any trouble with that!" she says...) so I need some opinions about what you would do to make sure it survives. I am very worried about root rot and will be repotting today.

Here is my plan: I have already sprayed for pests and I'll be keeping it isolated for a while. I plan to repot today into my regular potting mix. Depending on what the root system looks like, I may need to pot down to a smaller pot size (it's currently in a 4 inch pot).

Is there any emergency treatment you would give it? Based on the picture, would you remove the outer row of leaves? Anything else I should do?

Thanks so much!!!

Comments (8)

• susan_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

And here is a picture of the flower, just because I think it is pretty. :)

• bunnycat
    10 years ago

Not sure I would repot it and stress it since it looks ok. But I would put it on paper towels or old bath towels over and over again until every bit of excess water can be wicked out. More will be drawn out with fuzzy towels than if you use newspaper. If you must repot, use plenty of perlite and don't re-water. Just give it small amounts as needed in the coming days. I wouldn't bag it, but others may disagree. I think adding humidity might be risky. It looks like a really nice plant, unlike many of the sad "rescues" we see posted here. Congrats on the nice find.

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

there is sometimes a 'trick' that I have found. It works well in the garden. You securely hold the pot, and in a quick movement, you move the pot downwards, with a sudden stop. Sometimes the motion will cause excess water to leach out of the bottom. Don't let go of the pot. Do that several times ... it might help.

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

I think your new violet looks just fine. I would just let it go as is for a while and see how it does. Re-potting stresses plants and it might not be wise to do this just now.
    I would not remove the outer leaves. Plants grow leaves because they need them to survive. When a plant is stressed it needs all the support it can get.
    I agree with Bunny. I would not bag it. Just be careful as to watering until you see new growth.
    My trick is to take the plant out of its pot and let it sit in the open air to help it dry out quicker. This also gives you a chance to check the roots.

Linda

• becky15349
    10 years ago

Good idea, taking it out of the pot to dry out, I like that!!

• blondiejan
    10 years ago

I bought a NOID from the supermarket because I liked the looks of it, even though it had been obviously overwatered. I took it out of the pot at home, and actually squeezed a lot of water out of the root system! Then I let the plant sit on paper towels, outside of the pot, until it started to dry out and weighed a lot less. Took some of the bottom soggy soil off, and replaced with the mixture of soil. Then repotted it...it's doing fine. Whew!

• susan_kc
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks everyone for all the wonderful ideas. The plant is still doing fine, although the soil is still pretty wet. It looks like mostly peat.

It seems the consensus is not to repot for now...so how long would you give it before repotting?

BlondieJan, how long did you wait after drying out before repotting?

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

KC,

I would wait and make sure your violet is not under stress before re-potting. If it is putting out new, healthy growth then the root system has not been compromised by the over-watering. You could re-pot it into a better soil mix then. I would use the same size pot.

Linda

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES