Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Whew! all of this off of two leaves

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

Yesterday morning, my AV friend (AVF) and I spent a few hours getting caught up on some leaf planting that had needed to be done for a few weeks.

I always love working on violets with her because she and I seem to find new ways each time to laugh more and enjoy this hobby.

When we started, I had 2 solo cups each with one leaf that was planted back on 8/28/08. Optimara Ottaway was the leaf that went in each cup. I knew I had some mouse ears that needed separating.....but when I pulled the root system out of the cup, whoa! I didn't expect what I would find below the dirt. One of the shoots was so large that it now looks like it's own leaf starting a new cup.

We separated all the baby shoots in the root system and this is what we had when were finished separating just one cup.

{{gwi:379604}}

Here is my friend...she is so funny. I was trying to get a picture of the multitude of plants that came off that one leaf and she kept peeking her head up over the edge of the bar and saying, "boo" and I kept laughing so hard I couldn't take the picture. :)

{{gwi:379605}}

So when we finished just the two leaves/cups...here is what I now have to work wtih in preparation for our plant show/sale for the spring.

{{gwi:379606}}

I was able to put some smaller shoots in cups with each other...so there are actually more plants that cups...but you get the idea. I've never seen so many plants come off one leaf and I'm sure they "all" won't make it but dern...this one plant took a long time to separate.

{{gwi:379607}}

Obviously, I had to activate the bottom shelf/lights....to make room for my growing hobby :)

I've got more to share this afternoon after my lunch appointment.

Dora

Comments (9)

• sewnmom7
    15 years ago

dora, you do have alot on your hands. isn't it nice to have a friend to work and have fun with.molly

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've not ever had so much fun with something as these violets. Doing them with AVF is the icing on the cake. I couldn't imagine it to be as much fun and pleasure without my AVFs to share it with.

Another one that I did was Optimara Ever Glory:
    {{gwi:379608}}

We were able to get 19 cups/plants off of the 2 cups of Ever Glory and 11 cups/plants off of 3 Rob's Green Jeans leaves.

Some of the small plants that I started at the November meeting bloomed in the bag... Imagine my delight when I opened the bag that had been on the top shelf (out of sight since the first week of Nov) and saw this:

{{gwi:379609}}

Dora

• ima_digger
    15 years ago

Dora, I love your violet nursery babies. Did you have the leaves wicked? Also, what kind of jars are you using? Are they the small baby fod jars, or the larger ones? I don't have any babies in family and will have to look for something similar. I have some leaves rooting in foil pans. The babes are just starting to appear. They will have to go into their own pots soon.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:379603}}

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I wick everything that I have - plant and leaves. I have had such a positive and thriving experience with wicking.

I use the 4 oz baby food jars. A local nursery/daycare saves them for me and I pick them up once a week. It is enough to stock my personal supply and that of our club on a monthly basis. They were delighted to save them for me as long as we get them on Thursday or Friday and they don't sit around in their way. Maybe you could find a local source like that near you?

I plan to play in the dirt on Friday too - I've got several more cups full of green and there's no telling how many plants I will get out of those too.

Good Luck and happy violeting :)
    Dora

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Wow, Dora, looks like you both were having alot of fun! Sorry...I know absolutely nothing about AV's. Could you explain your technique? It sounds like you took a leaf cutting and it ended up producing lots and lots of babies which you transplanted into individual pots? Do most AV's reproduce like this? Also, what do you mean by wicking? Do you use a string or just let the bottom of the soil wick up the moisture? And finally....do you put the cup with the jar in the bag?

Thanks for your help!
    WRF

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

WRF,
    Wicking is a watering method. google it and enjoy the discovery ;)

There are many ways that AVs can be propogated and doing it by leaves is one way. It is the way that I did it in this thread with the Optimara Ottawa.

and yes, I put the solo cup in the BFJ and then place both of them in the bag/greenhouse. I leave them there (sealed) until I can see mouse ears coming up out of the dirt. Sometimes that takes a few weeks, and sometimes a little/lot longer. Patience is key. You want the root system to be developed strong enough below the dirt so that the plant itself will be nice and strong and sure to thrive.

I do hope you'll stick around - there's no way you'll still be able to say you know absolutely nothing abou AVs if you pal around with us here and take a bit of initiative to learn some on your own. I have discovered such a pleasure in this hobby and the people that I share it with.

Dora

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Thanks for the info Dora! The problem is...if I do stick around I'll have a whole new addiction, lol. The good thing is that this addiction at least seems to be a manageable size as compared to some of my other addictions (brugmansia, plumeria, heliconia, gingers, bananas, hoyas...to name a few!)

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Oh, Good Lord, WRF,
    Where in the world do you find the room to put all those "addictions"?
    Oh wait - I see that you are in deep FL - that explains it :)

We'd still love to have you stay.

Dora

• wanna_run_faster
    15 years ago

Lol, the problem with Florida is that it is next to impossible to kill a plant off so your collection just keeps growing and growing...

Sponsored