Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
raven_ladybug

Greetings... my journey thus far.

raven_ladybug
14 years ago

Hello everyone. I am new to your wonderful forum and would like to introduce myself.

My journey thus far...

About 2 years ago I found a cute little violet in my local market and brought "her" home. To my surprise and delight she thrived for me in my little garden window over my kitchen sink. Eventually she became constantly covered with masses of breathtakingly beautiful flowers. They were white and sparkled exactly like the top of frosty snow does and were edged with a lovely purple on each petal. I often got the feeling that I was glimpsing some lovely treasure that should be nestled under a canopy of dense forest near a waterfall in some remote jungle. I even found myself giving her a name, Eve. My husband and son even took note of her. Neither one had ever even seemed to notice any of my other plants. It did my heart good to watch their faces change to a kind of puzzled awe when they noticed her "That one is kind of neat...What is it?"

I had never repotted her in the over a year that I had had her. I was afraid to change anything, afraid I would break the magic spell and hurt her. Eventually though, she had become to top heavy and would sometimes even tip over because of it. By now she had three crowns, each on long maybe 4 inch necks... (blush) ... Well I did not know about such things yet... I decided I would see if I could find anything out about repotting African Violets on the net before I tackled the job. Wow, what a lot of wonderful information I found on this site and others! I would like to take this opportunity to thank all of you for your kindness in answering peoples question here. It has created such a wealth of knowledge for people like me.

I soon learned that not only did she badly need repotting, but major surgery as well. I can not tell you how hard it was to make those first cuts when I started to take her apart. In the end I had repotted several crowns and suckers and had tucked many leaves in solo cups as well, hoping that at least some of the parts would take and I would not lose her completely. A couple months later now and all her parts have taken hold and I have many baby plants (big smile) I have no new flowers yet, but I am hopeful that I will have many in time.

Because of "Eve" I am of course, hopelessly in love. I found myself placing and order with the Violet Barn a couple months ago for some darling mini types. Family members are questioning my sanity. "You sent away to New York for what?"... Thank you for listening, and thank you so much for all the helpful information and support you provide here.

Raven

Comments (35)

• contrarymarypat
    14 years ago

Welcome Raven, Eve does indeed sound beautiful-I love when they sparkle. AV people are the most generous, helpful group. I killed a few several years ago and gave up as my "other houseplants" liked me better. A year or so ago I noticed my new mother in law and a friend had lovely violets and acted like they were the easiest thing in the world. Leaves rooted for them... so I bought one, then another, then found AV club show/sales and that was it. Ordered the AVS magazine (and backorders). I'm out of room but just ordered a chimera (The Alps) off Ebay last night, mainly due to a thread on this forum on favorite violets. The very people who inspired me to try AVs again now look at me like I'm nuts (they may be just a tad bit correct). They seem to think you should only have as many violets as you have room for...haha. Now many leaves root for me, but certainly not all. If I am stressed, I head for my violets and just hang out with them. They also help me survive the winter - I NEED flowers. I have much to learn but I have a lot of help and support.
    Nice to meet you, Mary

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

hello Raven,

I personally love it when people introduce themselves and share what they are experiencing and learning here :)

It sounds like you might be getting a touch of what we affectionately refer to as "the addiction" LOL. Don' fret too much - you're in good company :)

So what did you order from Violet Barn? You'll be pleased with their merchandise and their service.

Again, Welcome.
    Dora

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Hi Raven,,,,always nice to meet another with a like addiction! Right off the bat we all in the forum have this fancy for AV's in common.
    I'm a beginner myself and learning as I go with the good knowledge and advice here in the forum. Great batch of people hanging here indeed!
    I have a couple orders due to be shipped after Thansgiving myself. My orders are coming from Buckeye Violets and Blossoms, Birds & Butterflies. Both sellers I've found to be extremely nice people.
    Welcome to the forum and your new found addiction!,,,Debbie

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Debbie,
    You're gonna LOVE Pat's flowers from Buckeye Violets....save up, honey! You'll need the funds to feed your addiction :)

Dora

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you to everyone for your warm welcome!
    Yes I was delighted with the plants I got from the Violet Barn. I had been worried about shipping live plants and how that could work as I had not done it before. They were all indiviually wrapped, carefully tucked into the box, and had minimal broken leaves. I was impressed. I was also surprised and delighted at how beautiful some of the leaves are on some of the plants... I had no idea they could come in such colors and patterns. The pictures don't do them justice on the wesite. What a wonderful new world i have stumbled into. (Grin)
    I got quite a few... (blush) I probably should not have gotten so many at once being a novice at growing them, but I could not help myself. Not only that, but now having had these for a couple months now I can't wait till spring when they start shipping regularly again so I can order more... yes I have it bad.
    Rob's Galiwinku
    Teeny Bopper
    Rob's Boogie Woogie
    Rob's Dodo Bird
    Rob's Oolong
    Rob's Suicidal Squirrel
    Rob's Smarty Pants
    Rob's Combustible Pigeon
    Rob's Macho Devil
    Rob's Delicious
    Rob's Penquin Suit
    Rob's Scrumptious
    Rob's Love Bite
    Rob's Boondoggle (I LOVE the flower on this one)
    Rob's Heebie Jeebie
    M'as Ching Dynasty
    Rob's Cool Fruit
    Rob's Heat Wave
    Tomahawk
    Warm Sunshine
    Bob Serbin
    Rob's June Bug
    Rob's Twinkle Blue
    Alot of them they picked for me as part of a reduced price group.

I know what you mean Mary. Eve's flowers were so uplifting to me during the long dreary days of this past winter.

I was wondering if anyone here might know of any upcoming shows, plant sales, or AV Clubs in my area. I live in Washington State... say a bit north of Seattle.

Raven

• fred_hill
    14 years ago

Hi Raven,
    Glad that you found us on the web. I see that you have become addicted also. It's very common among us AV growers. I have been addicted for over 25 years now and still get excited when I see a plant come into bloom.
    IF you want to find a club you can go to the AVSA.org site and check out their affiliate memberships. I'm pretty sure there must be one near you. One word of warning I always pass on to newbies is to isolate all new plants for at least a month (preferably 3) before you add them to your collection. Doing this helps to maintain clean and disease free plants. Good luck with your new plants and keep us posted on their progress.
    Fred in NJ

Here is a link that might be useful: AVSA

• m3rma1d
    14 years ago

Raven--Show season is over until February--Actually March for Seattle. Check out the "Events" page on the AVSA site.

BUT--You can still go to meetings of the Seattle club!
    They're the last club listed on this Western states affiliate page on the AVSA site. Contact Bob Clark, his info is listed right on there--he is one AWESOME guy!!

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Gee thanks Dora,,,I have to wait till after Thanksgiving for them and as if I can stand it you go and tell me how wonderful they will be! haha. Now I'm even more excited!
    From Pat I ordered:

Celina Dark Velvet - 2 of this one
    Celina Elegance
    Rob's Heebie Jeebie
    Jolly Jubilee
    Buckeye Deja Blue

From Karin (B,B&B) I ordered some as leaves and some as plants:

Raspberry Sizzle
    Apache Warpath
    Buckeye Bravado
    Senk's Springtime Wasp
    Jim's Easter Bunny
    Rob's Flirtacious Floozy
    Marie Lorraine
    Masked Man
    Aca's Pink Delight
    Ajohn's Spinning Bells
    Green Lace Sport

I'm hoping to get some leaves rooted and have plantlets or fresh leaves to trade come Spring. The extra Celina Dark Velvet is for trading if need be. I've worked and made a list of all I have so far with the AVSA # along with a discription of each violet. I did it on Google Docs so it can be shared when the time comes. I'm ready! hahaha.
    I'm having fun with the AV's and that's what counts!,,,Debbie

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Mmm...Mmmmm...

Lot's of goodies coming! You're done for....hook, line, and sinker.

LOL

Dora

• luvofroses
    14 years ago

Hi Raven, You will love this group and your new friends for Eve. I too am very new to this wonderful world of violets ( not yet a year) and have no where near the plants every one else has but I do so love all the ones I have and I am really looking forward to spring for new ones. Keep us updated on everyone is doing.
    Ann in So UT

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Welcome to the forum, Raven. It's nice to see someone join with the addiction at full tilt!

I am originally from the Seattle area, Mukilteo to be more precise. The closest club for you is the Seattle club. They have recently changed their meeting location to the north end of Seattle, so it will be much more convenient for you. And do get in touch with Bob, you will love this guy! Also, you now have a sizeable investment in your collection, and you will find the members very willing to advise you if problems occur. (Just like we will too!)

One of the nice things about joining a club is the sharing that occurs at the meetings. You will be able to increase your collection, and share what you have, with little expense incurred. The club has all levels of experience, and puts on a great show in the spring.

Good growing.

Barbara

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Fred, excellent advice!
    I learned the value of good quarantine practices years ago when I bred and hand raised parrots. I have wondered if African Violets can "hide" symptoms of underlying problems as well as birds can. I have been reading all I can to try and learn what to look for and have set up a shelf with a light to use as my quarantine area... Not that I plan on getting more plants soon... (grin) From what you advise it looks like I will need to revise my original thinking that a month would be a good amount of time.
    Wanting to be prepared as much as I can be for problems that might arise, I have been trying to locate some of the products I have read about here that others use, but have been having trouble locating them. Marathon and Physan 27. I sent $2.00 to Cape Cod Violetry for a copy of thier catalog by regular mail last week, but reading more here I am wondering if I did that right. I have read sense of people getting one by email. Perhaps they do not send physical copies out? I like the idea of using Marathon on new plants as they come into my home. Are there other things that people use on new plants as they come in that I might also try? I would be very interested in hearing any advice from others in this area.
    I am delighted to hear that there is a club in my area! Thank you everyone, I will try and contact them today. I also noticed from the link provided that there is a show this winter that will not be to far from me, how wonderful!
    Again, thank you everyone for such a warm welcome.

Raven

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Raven,
    I don't know about your local club, but ours carries almost all of the treatments/preventatives that we have spoken about on this board. That may be a more practical way for you to get your hands on this stuff.

When I bring things in, I put them in the isolation area for about a week (untouched) and give them time to acclamate to my growing environment. If they came with blooms, I take a picture of the plant and save it on my computer with the name/date and then remove ALL blooms and any buds/beginnings of buds.

After a week-10 days, If they are looking like they are ok, then I will repot them into my soiless mix and dr them with preventative stuff. I try to remove as much of the original soil as possible and really take a good look at the root ball, plant and leaves. If any more buds are coming up, I will remove them at that time again. i still keep them in the isolation area.

I have become a real stickler about planting only on fruitful days (and admit that sometimes things get neglected because of my schedule and not being able to play in the dirt on those days).

I will try to check the plant about another month after the repotting and if all appears well (visibly and growth wise) then I will usually put it on my shelf upstairs (the less valuable/non blooming things are up there). Once it begins to bloom, I try to move it to my downstairs stand in my kitchen so I can enjoy it every day.

My AV dirt buddy fusses at me for not planting when things need it but sometimes I am not home for longer periods of time and when it comes to choosing between sleep and planting - I will most often always choose sleep. Besides, then there would be nothign for me and her to do when we get together, LOL.

Check your local group. I bet Bob would be able to answer the question about which supplies that club has to offer.

Dora

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone, I was wondering if you pros can direct me to some good sellers. I see Raven is happy with Violet Barn and Debbie bought from B B&B could you tell me who that seller is? Also can someone tell me who I should look at on ebay? Any info would be greatly appreciated. Raven, I love your story of how u got hooked So sweet..... I love gardening and have a few standard AV'S. Looking to get some minis and variegated leaves. Any recommendations would also be appreciated. Hoping to make new friends here and learn more from everyone here. Linda :)

• minimac
    14 years ago

Hey Raven,

Sorry I'm a little slow with my greeting, but I've been crazy busy taking off blooms and buds, trying to get rid of my thrips. What a time consuming job that was, and to do it all again 3 more times...!!! Whew.

Well, you kinda jumped in big time - 23 new varieties. I know - hard to resist. And most are minis and semis. ;) I like them too. I have ten on your list. And the rest are on my list to get, Ha.

So, I'm just wondering, when you opened your box from the Violet Barn with all those lovely flowers and sat things up, did you dis bud and take blooms off? LOL. It's a good practice to get into. Oh my, funny! Ha, look who's laughing now - Me. It was always hard for me to cut off blooms - no more.

Yep, AVs harbor symptoms of 'underlying problems' alright. LOL! I use to isolate 2 months - I'm changing that to 3. And like Barbara, think I'm going to do the No Pest Strip as soon as they come in. The rest I'm treating about like Dora, except I'm not doing the half way house thing - LOL.

Oh, and alcohol. Dip your tweezers, scissors, knives, razors - disinfect before you go to another violet.
    Try as hard as you can to prevent things from happening.
    BTW are you wicking?

Well, happy growing and good luck.

Mac - Slashing and Burning blooms and buds

• minimac
    14 years ago

Hello, to you too, Linda.

Debbie bought from Buckeye Violets and B,B&B I believe she is referring to Blossoms, Birds and Butterflies. There is a link below. I have never ordered from BB&B, but I have from Buckeye Violets, Violet Barn, Violet Gallery and Lyndon Lyons all have been great and very helpful.

Can't help you with e-bay, but others can and I would also be interested in knowing.

You're interested in minis with variegated leaves? Rob's has a lot of minis with variegation. So Are some of the MacDonald's (Mac's). Standards and large violets - Pat Hancock at Buckeye Violets has some beauties.

I'm sure you will get a lot of suggestions and help.

Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: B,B&B

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Thanks soooooooooooooooooo much Mac. Information is GREATLY appreciated.

Linda:)

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Mac is correct the B,B&B stands for Blossoms, Birds & Butterflies. (Thanks Mac!). Besides selling off her site she sells in Ebay as iceberg2000. I've always been happy with what I receive from her.
    I've also bought from Bluebird Greenhouse and been happy with my orders. http://www.bluebirdgreenhouse.com/
    Violet Gallery has high shipping but when I opened the box to mostly 4 inch potted plants my jaw dropped. It was worth every penny for my order to them. Nice husky plants!
    http://www.violetgallery.com/html/catalogframeset.html

On Ebay I buy from sellers who show what plant I'm bidding on. That way I see on the most part the plant and it's condition and size for the money. I also check out their feedback to make sure people are happy who bought from them before me.
    Happy shopping!,,,Debbie

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you for your kind words Linda (smiles) I only know about the Violet Barn so far, but they do have many, many minis and many of those have variegated leaves.

Mac, I am sorry to hear you are having such troubles right now. I dread the time I will have to go through what you are at the moment. Not many in my order were in bloom this time, but I did not take off the ones that were. I did not know I should do this? Will that prevent the thirps? The no pest strip you mentioned, how is that used? Are these like the ones I used to see hung up to kill flies? I am planning to try putting down more leaves from the ones I got as they grow a bit and would be delighted to send you leaves or starts from whatever I have that you are looking for as soon as I get some started. I am not wicking at this time for a couple of reasons. First, my eyes aren't as sharp as they could be, and I feel that if I dont' pick them up and look closely at them I will miss spotting some problem. Especially sense I don't really know what I'm looking for. (grins) Second, I just plain love to pick them up and look at them, The lovely leaves and now some are starting to bloom. I really look forward to when it's time to water them. But then I don't have to many yet...

Have a wonderful day everyone!
    Raven

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Hi, Raven,

I use the no-pest strip to treat all newcomers to my house. I use a box with a lid and the no-pest strips from Lowes. Simply put the plant in the box with the strip for 24 hours, and it will kill any thrips present. Because it doesn't do anything to any eggs laid in the soil, you have to repeat the treatment 2 more times, 7 days apart, to kill any hatches that occur after the first treatment. In between treatments, I keep the strip sealed up to maintain its potency.

Best practice would be to remove any blooms before treating, and continue to remove blooms for the next three weeks. This is because thrips live in the blossom and eat the pollen. Also, sometimes the blooms are affected by the treatment. An additional benefit is that this disbudding will increase the amount of bloom when it is finally allowed to bloom again.

Barbara

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Hi Everyone!

Oh I love u guys already! Wow, what a nice group of people here sharing such wonderful information.Thanks Debbie for your sales info,I will be checking them out. Especially those HUSKY plants u are talking about. A little about myself..... I have always loved gardening since I was 2 yrs old I guess when I used to pick my grandpas flowers from his garden and get scolded for it LOL.. I think that the first flower in my hand must have done it! LOL My mother has always had AV's in her window sills and I loved watching them bloom as a child. So when I got older and moved into my own life I started picking them up and displaying them as my mother has done. Then of course the gardening outside,totally enjoy it! I have in the past 2 yrs started collecting daylilies and in the past year started a hosta collection.Love to get my hands dirty and ohhh the enjoyment of it all. I am hoping to pass along some of my babies to my children when they are established in there own homes someday! For this I think will be a nice reminder of me and it will also save them lots of money! Lol Boy do I spend alot of money on plants,more then food,I think!lol I live with a wonderful guy of 10 yrs, who puts up with my obsessive plant buying,Thank u Lord,guess he really Loves me! I do drive him CRAZY with plants!Luckily he is a plant lover but not to my extreme,but thats ok! lol
    Well hope I didn't bore u all too much! Each of u have a Happy Thanksgiving and again thanks for sharing! Happy Gardening! Linda

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you Barbara, That sounds like an excellent idea. I will be doing this with new plants from now on.

Linda, What a lovely thought, sending some of your plants off with your children as they grow. That brought a tear to my eye... My husband is also being understanding so far... even if he does not completely understand. He gave me such a chuckle when I told him I was ordering plants from New York. He said, "Don't they make African Violets in Washington?"
    Have a wonderful day,
    Raven

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Oh Raven that is so funny of your husband to say that!
    Well everyone,yesterday I went on a mission to find a variegated mini or any mini AV,I just NEED one since joining here. I am going to place some orders and get some from the people you recommended on Ebay but I am having a heck of a time choosing and I CAN"T WAIT ANY LONGER! I'm such a NUT when it comes to plants! lol So I went out to florist shops thinking they would have them,NOTHING! So my last hope was LOWES, knowing I would not get the best but I could save it from the Lowes shelves of doom. Well they did'nt have any either. But what they did have was a rack of poor standard AV's ready for the garbage,reduced to 50 cents a piece. Well as I looked at these poor things I just could'nt help but want to save them. Soooooo I looked them all over and seen life left in some of them and took 10 of them home. Gave them a bath,cleaned all the roots,washed out the pots,filled up the pots with fresh dirt and planted them. Stuck them on 2 trays and put them in my sunroom. Now that I think of it I should have taken before and after pics.What a big difference it made. They look Very happy this morning. Of course I inspected them closely with my magnifying glasses (plant and roots) and I only came across one small spider which is gone after removing him and washing everyone. Almost all there leaves are standing straight up to reach the light from the windows,I will nurse them with some fertilizer and see what happens.Will leave the rest to mother nature! Its pot luck because none of course were in bloom. Wish me luck! Hope I'm not boring you guys too much! Happy Gardening, Linda

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Linda the AV's from Lowe's,,,did the pots have a sticker on the pot that said for ID go to a website? When they bloom you might be able to ID them in time if they are this type I speak of. The site says the ID's are for active violets they have in circulation. We all know nothing lives long at Lowe's if not bought quickly! So the ones you bought should be in the info site on the link.
    I recently bought a Lowe's AV and it's an Optimara. I know this because of the sticker I spoke of. The name of the one I bought is Millennium. Gorgeous burgundy and white flowers!
    My husband put up with my plant obsession for 6 yrs. prior to us marrying. I figured he was a keeper. haha. In winyer when everything has been brought inside he kids that all we need is a monkey to go in our jungle. I tease it's on it's way!
    Raven so cute what your husband said! Mine thought that way too but now knows better,,that plants need to come from all over the world. Not just our hometown!
    I need to figure out where in the world I have to set up this new 4 shelf zip greenhouse I received yesterday. All the windows are taken with Hoya's and baker's racks with plants. The AV's need lights so I have been looking at walls to see where the stand would fit in. Needing lights anyway means the GH doesn't have to be at a window. That's a good thing cause as I said,,,no room! haha. I'm leaning towrds our bedroom but what to do with the antique trunk??? I'll figure it out,,,soon I hope.
    I find it nice here in this forum and enjoy and look forward to the threads and posts.,,,,Debbie

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good luck with your new babies Linda, it sounds like they were very lucky you came along. I'd love to know how they progress for you.

Debbie, (chuckles) Then at least your husband knew what he was getting into. A definite keeper. I have been finding myself wondering around the house looking for spots that I might tuck a stand... or two... as well. My home is small... but there must be somewhere...

Raven

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Hi All,
    Yes Debbie they have a sticker on them but it says grown by Van Wingerden In" Mills river NC I can't seem to find out any info,do you know of them? Raven I will let u know how the plants progress,so far so good all look well. Didn't lose many leaves either. I did buy from 2 people on ebay. The one order I have to wait until January I think and the other I'm not sure yet when it will be sent, hopefully soon. I will keep u all informed and let u know how my av buying on ebay goes. I think I will buy from a couple of the growers that were suggested to me this spring. Well Happy growing and I hope all had a Happy Thanksgiving! Linda in NJ

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

From what I found on the net Van Wingerten is a wholesaler and grows african violets and poinsettia's among other plants. The plants also can go under Nature's Heritage brand. But I found nothing to be able to ID your rescue violets. Sorry!
    My bet is they will bloom just as pretty being NOIDs (no ID) as they would if you had their names. *wink*. Each will be a surprise when they bloom!
    I have 3 Ebay orders being mailed Monday. Mostly violets with green to the flowers. I'm wanting a green that shows up pretty well. Next I will work on buying some yellow's to grow and see who shows the most.
    I still haven't heard from Pat that she's mailing out. She said she calls prior. Hopefully she will get caught up soon and call that she is shipping out.
    I had a lady contact me to trade and I got some Baby Brian suckers and some EverGrace leaves. I sent her Hoya's. It's what she wanted. I have all planted now and hoping they root for me.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Ohhh Debbie u must be excited to be getting shipments soon! Thank U for your research on my rescues :), I'm sure they will be pretty and I don't need their names,gosh I didn't even know I should know their names Lol until starting to collect plants 1 yr ago. I remember my first delivery of daylilies I threw out all the tags and planted them lol, much to my surprise I realized I was supposed to mark them if I ever wanted to sell or trade them. Live and learn. I'm sorry Debbie which seller is Pat, I'm not keeping it all straight yet in my mind Lol. Well have a goodnight, Linda

• okie_deb
    14 years ago

Linda,,,Pat is with Buckeye Violets. I'm not worried yet. I've only heard nice things about her.,,,Debbie

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Thank U Debbie for letting me know that and let me know how pleased you are when your shipments arrive. I'm trying to figure out who to place orders with,want to get the most for my dollar! Lol Thanks again, Linda in NJ

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Raven, I was just wondering if you take care of your miniature Av's the same as Eve? She was a standard right? Do u find any difficulties in the smaller plants? I have only been familiar with taking care of standards and want to get minis and semis.Just wanted to know the differences in growing if any.
    Anyone feel free to chime in on this as I am very interested in the differences if any.
    Thank U all in advance, Linda in NJ

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

Hey hoarder....
    the biggest difference is that when you grow semi/minis.....you can grow MORE because they don't take up as much room, LOL

Dora

• raven_ladybug
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Linda, Yes Eve is a standard. I am treating the minis the same. Which means better as I learn more. (smiles) The only difference is perhaps that the smaller pots dry out and need to be watered more often. The only thing that I have come across with the new mini plants that I haven't been able to figure out yet, has more to do with the fact that several of them are variegated. Especially with the leaves that I put down. The new babies are completely white as they come up. I am assuming they could not survive without the mother leaf. I am trying the suggestion I found here on this forum to spray them with a weak solution of fish fertilizer. But as far as them just being minis, they have seemed fairly hardy, despite my novice handling of them. I got all of mine through the Violet Barn, and would recommend you try some if you are thinking about it. They are darling!

Good luck, I would love to hear about them if you decide to try some.
    Raven

• minimac
    14 years ago

Linda,
    About the only difference is the size.
    So, as Dora suggests, you may have more of them on a shelf! The distance from light fixture to top of plant is also less than with standards. You can space your shelves closer together, too. Some recommend the distance for minis should be 6 to 8 inches from light to top of plant. Where as standards 12 or so inches.

Also, it is recommended to repot more often than standards. Anywhere from 3 to 6 months. When you repot you usually stay with the same size pot - no need to move into a larger size. You may just use solo cups.

Some say they are hard to work with. I guess because they are small. It's just what you get use to, I suppose. Arthritic hands may have problems? I do at times use forceps to take leaves off etc. My knuckle on occasion has broken the leaf above off while I'm trying to pinch a stem or flower off or check the soil.

Hope you give them a try.

Mac (Week two. One more to go! Maybe Valentines Day I'll have blooms.)

• planthoarder
    14 years ago

Thank U All for the info. I got a little worked up today thinking they would be harder to grow then the standards and since I went a bit haywire in bidding on ebay this past week-end I thought maybe I bit off more than I could chew if they were harder to take care of. You all have put my mind at ease for I didn't want to kill them all but then I should have thought of that before bidding.But of course seeing the pics posted here on the forum made me jump right on in.:) Thanks again, Linda in NJ

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting