Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aegis1000

When you DO what you KNOW you shouldn't ...

aegis1000
11 years ago

I feel so stupid.

IâÂÂve not seen a thrip in my violet collection in years. And, though I have, from time to time, violated my rule about NOT buying violets from local box stores, IâÂÂve been able to manage to keep thrips from becoming a problem.

Well, a couple weeks ago, I was shopping for some 4â pot bases, ... and there was an Optimara Millenia in full bloom. I couldnâÂÂt get myself to leave the store without it. So, I told myself that I would isolate it and all would be fine. Also, I didnâÂÂt see any evidence of thrips on the plant at that time. So, I brought it home ... and placed in a room where I had no other violets and all seemed to be fine.

In the meantime, an Optimara Picasso that I have been babying since it was a pup (from Violet Barn) had finally achieved some nice growth and had begun to bloom (beautifully) for the first time. I began to notice that the bloom were fading a bit quicker than normal and when I finally took a close look at the blooms, I saw ... thrips. I checked a couple other blooming plants nearby ... and found MORE thrips.

Thrips have, evidently, traveled from one side of the house ... to the other, and attacked my previously pristine plants.

So ... now IâÂÂve got to bite the bullet and get rid of all of my current AV bloom downstairs, including the original Millenia, and wait a few months before I allow them to bloom again. The bad news is that I wonâÂÂt have AV bloom for the holidays. The good news is that this step will starve the thrip population to death, and that I can pick up where I left off with my violets in a couple months.

I could just spit lead. I knew better ...

Comments (4)

Sponsored
Fresh Pointe Studio
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators | Delaware County, OH