Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nwgatreasures

Kohleria (may belong on another board)

nwgatreasures
15 years ago

Ok, my AVF brought me this plant (Kohleria Tana) and says she doesn't want it because of space constraints and light issues.

It's the taller plant in this group (left side)

{{gwi:380031}}

Should I "roll" this plant or cut it? I want it to bush out (isn't that what it is supposed to do?) and right now, I don't really have vertical light space to support a plant that is a foot tall with the wicking container below it.

Any sugestions?

Dora

Comments (6)

• fred_hill
    15 years ago

Sorry can't help you with info about kohleiras. I would suggest that you google AGGS which will bring you to the gesneriad society. You should be able to find info or at least a link there.
    Fred in NJ

• m3rma1d
    15 years ago

Maybe try the gesnariad board? :-)

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

I think Rob's website shows you how to roll them. I would take a tip cutting and start a new plant first. All my Koleria are a little wild, I don't have one good bushy plant.
    tish

• nwgatreasures
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Tish,
    Rob's website is where I first learned about the rolling technique.

When you say, "take a tip cutting" - can you elaborate for me so I'll be clear on your suggestion?

I'm not certain yet that I am even interested in growing other forms of plants other than the AVs themselves. I am inclined to think that I want to stick to one thing and do that very well. Others are more skilled and talented at doing more than one thing but I know my limits and what expectations that I have for myself.

It's too cold now to mail it to someone but perhaps I can find someone at our December meeting who would be willing to take my kohleria and give me an AV.

Tia,
    Dora

• lilypad22
    15 years ago

I'm sure you'll have no trouble getting a taker for it. I love my Kohleria plants, mostly because they are a little wild looking and the bloom is different. I like a little bit of everything, expecially Chiritas and the small or mini sinningias. They are all related to violets and share much the same care. Tip cutting, just count down a couple sets of leaves and cut if off and root it like you would a violet leaf or houseplant cutting and it will make a new plant. You can start pinching it before it starts getting lanky so it fills out. tish

• irina_co
    15 years ago

Dora -

I would side with Tish. I would cut the tip with 2 sets of leaves, remove the bottom leaves, and another cutting under it - also - 2 sets of leaves and remove the bottom. The de-leafed nodes go in the soil and produce new roots. Cuttings root really easy when covered.

Kohleria makes rhizomes, and I bet you already have some in a pot. I would let the chopped plant dry a bit, harvest rhizomes, put them in a baggie with slightly moist vermiculite - and in a month when they start sprouting - pot them in a new soil slightly covering the rhizomes.

Kohleria has its cycle of growing and sleeping - and it is much more vigorous if you restart it and not roll it. The pot looks much better if it has many short stems instead of one lanky. So if you will harvest 3-5 rhizomes - you can even break them in half for more plants - and you will start pinching them when they are 5 inches high - you will get a much bushier plant. Eventually your new plant will become lanky and stop blooming nicely - it will be time to harvest rhizomes again and share them with friends.

Kohlerias are different - but most of them prefer brighter light - 4 tubes. If you put it in a middle of your shelf and raise so it is closer to your 2 tubes - or sunny window will work too.

I love Kohlerias...

Irina