Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
0gers

Small spots on leaves - what are they?

0gers
12 years ago

This is the first time I've joined a forum so I'm not sure how to attach pictures of my African Violets.

I've been noticing little white spots on the leaves. It is only on the surface and I cannot see any bugs even with a magnifying glass. I suspect it's water damage but I've been using a self-watering pot, so I'm a bit worried.

Please help!

Thanks in advance.

Comments (7)

• 0gers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Testing...

Here is a link that might be useful: Pic1

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Welcome to the forum.

Are your AVs under lights or in the window?

Linda

• 0gers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for responding.

Yes, all of my plants are under lights since we live in a somewhat gloomy apartment and they're the only way I can get to grow anything at home!

Please advise - I'm really grateful for any suggestions.

• irina_co
    12 years ago

Ogers -

seems like some kind of mechanical damage that happened some time ago.. Check if you have thrips - if you have them - you will see them on the dark flowers and you will see spilled pollen. The second thing - how close are your violets to lights? If it is more than 8 inches - sometimes you can see similar spots from light damage, but it is usually comes with bleached leaves and tight crowns and yours seem OK.

Doesn't look like anything really bad.

Irina

• stonesriver
    12 years ago

Irina:

I think you meant "less" than 8 inches. :-)

0gers: Lights should be about 10" from bulb to top of a standard AV. Also, if there is more than one bulb in your fixture, change out the lights alternately. Replacing both at the same time can cause light damage.

Trust Irina's advice; she knows of what she speaks.

BTW, mine are on reservoirs, too, and sometimes I get drops of water on them without really noticing. Also, you can pick up an inexpensive magnifying loupe on eBay to closer inspect your plants. I just got one and don't know how I grew violets for nearly 40 years without one!

Linda

• 0gers
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks so much to both of you for your valuable advice...

I've set up the lights around 12 inches away from the tops of the plants. Perhaps I did drop some water on the leaves by mistake. I hope this is the only problem! :)

I will definitely look out for a magnifying loupe just to be extra sure. I'll check out for thrips once I get it.

I've only started my AV obsession this April so I'm impressed. 40 years... wow!

Thanks again!

Deah

• irina_co
    12 years ago

LESS THAN 8 INCHES!!!

Senior moment...I do not think I can be trusted anymore..

I.