Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mushibu10

Streptocarpus wendlandii - single leaf type

mushibu10
9 years ago

So I have this. It arrived in a polystyrene cup. I had a 6cm pot so it's in there.

So I have read that people don't repot until after its first bloom. But how long is that? I have also read that it can be as soon as 6 months from seed. But am unable to find out the average time for this variety.

I have African violet feed. Once a week it's fed. It sits under a grow light.

Comments (4)

• judyj
    9 years ago

Well, you might want to hop over to the gesnariad forum, but there are some very knowledgeable folk here also. If it grows like a standard strep and is properly cared for (and under lights), it should be ready to bloom in a couple three months or so.

However the leaf will get really large and develop a root system to support it, so you may wish to re-consider waiting.

Though some folks say otherwise, I can't imagine keeping one in the same soil for that long period of time-at least as a young plant.

I repot my streps immediately after receiving them, and when small, about every three weeks (just soil freshening) until they're up into a three and a half inch pot. If they're slightly root-bound they bloom better for me, but eventually still need potting up.

I wonder where one would get one of these in the US? Fascinating!

Best,
    Judy

• dbarron
    9 years ago

Oh, is that one of the old types like I grew about 30 years ago, where the plants flowers and dies, having produced only the single leaf in it's lifetime?

Just looked it up..yep, it's monocarpic.

Unless you just have a collector's interest in the genus, I'd surely suggest you try a strep hybrid...but good luck with the species. It's been so long since I tried one...and I don't remember what I had, that I don't know anything to tell you.

• mushibu10
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Well I didn't know that. I have the streptocarpus susan. That I got after blooming for 2 quid unstead of 8. Leaves looks bad, and now look at it!

Well I just had a quick peak. The roots are only just hitting the edge of pot. So I'll leave it till I see them in the bottom.

So if it dies after blooming, how can I delay the blooming? If it's possible?

I got mine on ebay from a UK seller. It was after seeing them firstly on rhs Chelsea flower show. Then letter in year on gardeners world, with Monty Don.
    So I wanted an unusual one. And a single leaf is most certainly unusual.

So what should the final pot size be?
    I used peat for the soil.

And it's great to watch it grow, had it about 2 months, it has gone from 3" long to 7"

• judyj
    9 years ago

It actually dies after it blooms? But I saw great huge ones on line at some botanical gardens!

Still I'd love to have one just to see what it does!

Best,
    Judy

Sponsored
River Mill Construction
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Delaware County's Customer Focused General Contractor