Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dixiebug

Semi Hydroponics using Grow Stones

dixiebug
9 years ago

I am considering trying a semi hydroponic system, using grow stones. has anyone tried this? I can't find anything online specifically about growing AVs with grow stones. I particularly want to know what type of pot to use, what modifications to the pots I need to make and also the best fertilizer? I am wondering if I can use net pots? The hydroponic store near me has net lots as small as 2".

The benefits of the grow stones is they're lighter weight than the clay pellets, they don't have as much residual dust, once they are rinsed off there is no dust at all, the constant dust doesn't clog up your septic system or your lungs, they are not mined from the earth, and they don't crush like the clay pellets.

The benefits of semi hydroponic, as I can see it anyway, is less opportunity of disease either pest or fungus. You do not have to repot as often, the grow stones can be baked and reused. When baking them they do not stink to high heavens like potting mix. If you have allergies to mold, that is eliminated with this system.

Any thoughts on this subject?

Comments (16)

• Karin
    9 years ago

I haven't tried grow stones, but Hydroton (Clay Pebbles). Thinking it would solve my rot and mildew issues.
    Whilst nothing developed root rot (the ones that rotted had no roots at the time), i didn't carry the experiment on long enough to say it couldn't have worked with some adjustments. i finally decided it was just a big hassle to re-root everything, not knowing if they would actually take.
    Out of about 6 test plants, two didn't root, the baby plantlets didn't thrive, and the two plants that had roots, grew quite yellow, even though one produced a bloom. (now that'd probably be fixed with a fertilizer adjustment).
    The plant that did best, was in a modified plastic cup, with a reservoir at the bottom, holes in the sides and a glass dome fitted overtop. the ones in "airtight" containers rotted before they could root, the ones without domes nearly dried out...

anyhow, i finally decided it wasn't worth re-inventing the wheel, when i could just as well look into improving my potting mixture and watering habits. - which actually don't need messing with as long as i keep the temperature in check.

as for less bugs and fungi - no bugs to report, but within two days there was a white fuzzy coat of mildew on some of the top pebbles. So no actual advantage there.

Anyhow, maybe i am just lazy about figuring out how to make it work, but to me, the idea seemed way better than the actual experience.

Please let us know how the grow stones work out for you though!

Karin

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

Hi, i'm kind of doing this without the grow stones ... which sound interesting.....

i have some of mine in straight perlite for about ???? 1-2 months now... the african violets seem really good ... i'll know about roots soon when i have to transfer from clay to plastic.

clay pots mildew like crazy with both wicking and passive hydroculture (whatever it is that i'm doing).

i've found some geraniums i transfered to this have done amazingly well (in perlite) ...except for the majority that were really horrible... but i blame that on both my watering them too high and the clay pots.

so i don't know about grow stones but am very interested in them too. I do have a box of hydroton that i haven't opened yet but will be using at least for some plants.

anyway ... must rush ..will come back to this later. :)

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

When using potting mix in conventional planting, plastic works best. Clay pots are not the preferred material for African Violets, hard plastic with good size ventilation holes is best. I use my clay pots turned upside down as pedestals for my mature violets. My light source is overhead so all my violet leaves drape down. They need to be elevated so that the leaves are not touching the shelves. That way, I can enjoy the rustic look of clay, the violet leaves cover the plastic so it is not visible. Joanne

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I was also wondering about growing strictly in perlite, or maybe a perlite vermiculite mix. Any thoughts on that?

I am having a lot of trouble with crown rot. My husband won't let me sterilize in our oven, so I can't make my own mix. I have been using 1/2 MG AV potting mix and 1/2 perlite. I place perlite in the bottom of the pot with a wick up through and laying on top the perlite the the MG AV perlite combo on top of that. My thoughts are, if I can eliminate the spaghum peat moss I may me able to eliminate the crown rot. I wonder if I could use perlite or perlite/vermiculite in a hydroponic manor (holes in sides of pot, water just above holes in reservoir). Would the pot be so light it would float?

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Responses

This post was edited by fortyseven on Thu, Nov 20, 14 at 20:11

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

Hi Joanne :) ...the little clay pots look so darn cute though ... plastic doesn't stand a chance. :) ... (especially the little 2 inch pots ... adorable!!!)

Next year i'll order some liquid glass either from lehmans or a company here that might have the same thing .... or both.... anyway ... it's non toxic ... it used to be used to seal eggs and is used to seal concrete so i'll try it with terracotta. I wanted something super non toxic.

I thought of terracotta originally because it's porous and the evaporating water through the pot would have been good for the roots... it would at least outside probably ...and i know that hydroponics use fabric pots ... anyway that's one experiment i'm glad i'm finished with....well at least as an indoor experiment...outdoors next year.

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

growing in 100% perlite so far seeeeems to be good. It makes a mess and you need to grow in something with small holes.

I have seen it wick to 7 inches high ... so it wicks by itself.

Vermulite holds water more than perlite.

Perlite does not hold water if it does not have any left in the saucer... meaning it dries out easily. I never let the saucer dry out though because that's just death for the plant.

when i re root an av i cut off the head and re root the crown into the perlite ... then i add water to the dish ... in the beginning as much as i can depending on the depth and slowly as the plant adjusts i let the water evaporate. I don't cover them because i worry about too much humidity. If the av is mature or if i see it drooping i also add another tray of water underneath to bring up the humidity, or to put them in tall clear rubbermaid type boxes, to increase humidity but always uncovered.

ps:If you get it in your washing machine little pieces of it are floating forever in your clothes.... worst problem for me so far.

• petrushka (7b)
    9 years ago

doming with hydro or semi-hydro brings crown rot: there's got to be ventilation to succeed. yah, high walls, but open on top will increase humidity. but i don't feel it's necessary.
    so water very lightly by hand and then you can dome to root; once rooted, wick and no more dome.
    in my view just putting perlite on the bottom to wick and using MG av mix on top is no-good: too wet. you need to remove as much MG mix as you can (half?) - and NOT wick until you can get rid of pure AV mix ,on next repot. 40% perlite for wicking is a MUST.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Silvana, clay pots, I love them as much as AVs! The tiny ones and some vintage " French flower pots " unearthed on a local farm that a nursery was selling primroses. We planted the primroses, the gophers had lunch. Oh well, the pots are pedestals. Haven 't decided what to do with the tiny ones. I used to start leaves in them. AVs planted in clay pots did not do well for me in my dry environment. If the leaves touched the edges of the pots, the petioles got damaged. I tried growing in them for years until my AV mentor/enabler kindly convinced me to switch to lightweight plastic.

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

omg Joanne ... vintage French??? wonderful ... wow....

if the liquid/water glass works next year I will let you know... I figure at least 2 good drenchings will make them completely sealed and waterproof.

I sent you an email ... did you get it? my emails are getting screwy.

gophers are cute... i'm also on a wildlife/squirrel board ... adore them ... but ... sorry about the primroses.

ps: what I do with those tiny pots, apart from dreaming of tiny av's ... is plant them with single chicks from hens and chicks plants ... they look so sweet.

This post was edited by toronto.and.brisbane on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 1:17

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Toronto and Brisbane, thanks for the info. I think I am going to experiment: small grade perlite by itself, large grade perlite by itself, perlite vermiculite mix and just grow stones. I'll see which works best in my environment. All I know is I'm having a dickens of a time with peat in my mix.

I never had trouble when I grew AVs many years ago, but then I was part of a club and we made our mix in a ladies garage with a cement mixer. I am not sure who sterilized it, but that is something my husband refuses for me to do. In addition, I believe, I am having a reaction to peat. I get very congested. When I plant leaves in strict perlite or mix with vermiculite, no problem.

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

I am now wondering about fertilizers and additives if I do a non peat medium. Toronto and Brisbane, what do you use for your perlite only?

The thought of perlite floating in my washing machine or septic tank is not a good vision, lol!

Dixie

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

hi Dixie... I don't know long term yet although I have seen links to another grower in Taiwan. (?maybe on your other thread?)

I have also read that perlite is neutral and av's want a little bit of acid and the solution was to water with a tiny micro amount of vinegar. And the fertilizing was to be, I think, 1/4 strength of a liquid fertilizer.

Also, the water will be accumulating in the saucer over time it's good to flush out both the perlite and the saucers periodically ... no idea how often. :) sorry.

but this is all long term and i'm very much a beginner right now ...

I won't be fertilizing until I come back next year ... so they'll be 3 months with no fertilizer at least.

As for peat ... sorry ... don't have a clue. The same for sterilization... have never done it... my husband would freak out if I suggested it ...lol.....

ps: my name is silvana ... T&B is very long to write out ...lol.... do you have to type in Dixie after all your posts? ... I keep forgetting to sign mine.

This post was edited by toronto.and.brisbane on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 15:11

• toronto.and.brisbane
    9 years ago

Dixie let me add... re breathing problems... I can relate!!! damp soil, mildew, gnat, fungus etc... it's a big part of why I had to go this way too...

Perlite smells cleaner than soil...not that you want to smell or breathe it in!!!!

I punch holes into the bottom of the bag and let it sit in water a couple of hours so it's soaked...then I empty it and rinse it with water ... inside big tubs ... those tubs get emptied outside ...not in my plumbing!!!

Don't breath in the dust ... especially not when dry ... which is probably when there will be dust lol.....

I think you live in a warmer climate and can do all of the above outside.

I would like to find a nicer perlite than the mg one I have... but am not sure if/when ... maybe a hydroponics store.

all the best for now...silvana.

• fortyseven_gw
    9 years ago

Blue Denim, Faded, is a beautiful plant and great pic.
    I don't want to comment on the post, so that it will stay at the top of the thread. That way, everyone can have a chance to view it.
    Joanne

This post was edited by fortyseven on Fri, Nov 21, 14 at 16:08

• dixiebug
    Original Author
    9 years ago

Petrushka,

I missed reading about not doming semi Hydro or Hydroponically grown plants and also about getting rid of the MG.

It is my goal to get rid of the MG or any peat moss if at all possible because I believe I am allergic to it or maybe I am just allergic to MG. I am not sure if I can use just grow stones though. I found out tonight that they probably do not have a wicking action. I want a medium that will wick, so I am thinking I need to use perlite. Possibly a perlite, vermiculite mix or maybe even add the grow stones in.

Sponsored