Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
brennacat

Any advice to help ensure successful propogation

Brennacat
10 years ago

Years ago I had a beautiful collection of African Violets. I had to give them all away and have spent years without these much loved flowers. Recently, I ordered a mixed set of leaves to try my hand at growing them again. I do not plan on doing the water method (which I did years ago) and instead plan on soil propagation. So many sites recommend different mixtures of soil, some only AV soil, some a mix with perlite,, some a mix of AV soil, perlite, etc. I just got the leaves in the mail and want to make sure I have the best possible outcome (hate when the leaves die/rot before plantlets can develop). Can anyone give me tips to help my success rate? :( A little sad most of the leaves I received will be pink varieties but hopefully in the future I will have leaves to participate in an exchange. I am just so excited to finally have the chance to grow these beautiful plants once again,

Comments (13)

• Karin
    10 years ago

Mine usually root, no matter what I do. I use African violet soil and just lump them together in a container, which sits on the window will and gets watered or not, depending on whether I remember or not...
    If you want to be more methodical, the perlite mix is probably a good idea. Water well, but don't soak, then put it in a ziploc bag.

• splatteredwhim
    10 years ago

I'm quite new to this myself and have only done about three rounds of leaf propagation, but my most recent leaves sprouted up quicker than any of my others to date.

For those I used a mix that was something around 60 percent perlite to 40 percent AV mix, and I made the soil slightly damp before scooping it into cups and sticking the leaves in. (As opposed to watering them after sticking the leaves in, which resulted in rotting on some earlier attempts. Or at least may have been one factor out of many...)

Another thing I did differently this time was use the little condiment cups that salad dressing comes in at fast food places. 2 ounces, I think? The size they have at the Whole Foods salad bar, or Subway if you ask for stuff on the side.

That's what I'm sticking to for now.

Oh, and keeping things covered in a clamshell thing, also like from Whole Foods or deli-type places.

• dlsmith0708
    10 years ago

Well I can't sit here and say I have large amounts of experience when it comes to AV's. I'm rather new myself to these beautiful little plants. But based on all the reading I've done around this site and many others, I used miracle grow cacti dirt. Back in July I purchased a round of leaves from eBay and used the cacti dirt to grow them. They are growing great and have huge root systems. Now after much research I chose the cacti dirt because; this dirt is light weight and sandy, contains perlite, drains faster rather than retaining huge amounts of water. Now I water about 2 times a week but that forces me to check them more often and keep my eyes on them. I'm completely ok with that, and I also need to say I use regular pots and not the kind that is a pot within a pot. Happy growing and best of luck to you.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Brenna,

It is confusing to read of so many recipes for soil when you are just starting out. One reason there are so many different ones is that they all work! Most of us use the 1/3. 1/3, 1/3 soil mix. This is equal parts peat, perlite, and vermiculite. You can also use straight perlite or straight vermiculite or a mix of both. You are trying to obtain good drainage and many mixes will give you this.

Cut your leaf stem at a 45 degree angle facing forward and insert into a hole in moist soil. Use a small pot or solo cup, (not clay, they dry too quickly) with a drainage hole in the bottom. Put them in a baggie or a clamshell or dome, anything that will give you a tight seal but can be opened on occasion. You are creating a mini-terrarium with this method and you will not have to water often. Make sure your leaves are kept moist not wet. If condensation forms, vent for a bit.

I have been at this for more years than I care to think about and I think the most important factor in leaf propagation is covering them. It provides humidity and even moisture.

Linda

• Brennacat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thanks for the advice. It makes sense that the moisture levels would be the key. I just hope these leaves do well :) and I cannot wait to have the ability to trade varieties with others. There are so many varieties that I want to have ... lol I will need to convince my husband to build me a small greenhouse :) to hold all the plants I want to have.

Every site I go to I see more and more varieties that I am dying to have ... lol witch doctor, some of the Russians, starry night blue, rambling dots, some of the ones from the space station .... sigh the list goes on and on. Maybe someday I will get them all or a good portion of them.

LOL I know I am dating how long ago I raised violets but I was collecting the varieties named for the states and sadly had a vintage violet started by my great great grandmother (have no idea of the name) and had almost 30 plants. All thriving beautifully and went to college so gave them to my mother who slowly but surely killed them all.

When the kids came along I could never keep a plant from either them or the pets so finally I am at a point that I can look to spend the time and effort needed to have beautiful plants.

• aegis1000
    10 years ago

Some people just aren't cut out to grow AV's.

Sounds like your mother wasn't, ... but that you are.

I have no doubt that you will soon have a thriving collection.

P.S. Most of us have lost a collection or two.

I'm on my third ...

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I can't wait to see how your leaves progress. I agree about keeping them covered and moist but not soggy wet being the key thing. Also, I cut my stems no longer than one inch. It is more difficult this time of year, cooler weather slows them down, so try to keep them warm. Keep us updated!

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Brenna,

I know what it is like to have the 'itch'. I just finished my inventory and I have 318 varieties. Not individual plants; different varieties! Along with lots of orchids.

I pre-date the states series by many years; when I started growing there were very few named varieties. I was given my first violet by my mother-in-law as a very young bride. It was a species S. ionantha and I thought it was beautiful. I still grow one or two to this day.

I have many, many Russians and a few of the space series. Starry Night Blue is one of my favorites that I grow. But stay away from Witch Doctor. It has that name for a reason! You can get lots of good advice and opinions on here as to which varieties are good growers and which are not. It's very helpful.

I don't know where you are located, but if it is cold where you are bottom heat will help your leaves immensely. I use a heat mat and they're great.

Good luck with your leaves!

Linda

• Brennacat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Wow ... I hope I can someday say I have a third of that many varieties :). My grandmother gave me a cutting of her grandmother's violet when I was 9 or 10. LOL have no idea what it's name or species was it was a small dark purple double with pale green small leaves (no ruffles no frills) and a yellow star in the center. It rooted easily in water but was fussy about light/warmth.I think I was 13 or so before I successfully raise a plant to maturity from that violet.

I then started seeing all those lovely AVs at gasp a KMart and just had to have them. I would get one at a time and nurture them. My mom could not believe how well they did. My bedroom had southern and south western windows and they were full in no time. Then I just kept adding and as they got bigger I allowed her to display them on the carport on a flower shelf my dad built. She was so jealous of them.

I am in Virginia (close to NC) in the foothills of the Appalachian mountains.

Thanks for saying that about the Witch Doctor ... lol it is lovely but not looking for "that" plant which will cause me grief. I am a purple fanatic so looking forward to eventually getting some purples and blues to balance out these pinks. :) I love the variegated leaf varieties and any unusual looking violet.. :)

Just excited to imagine having these lovely flowers gracing my home again.

• fortyseven_gw
    10 years ago

Hi Brenna, Linda, All,
    I enjoy reading the stories of how folks got started with the itch! AVs are so much easier to care for now that in your mom's day, Brenna. There are specialized products that simply did not exist. For example, I remember having to sterilize soil by cooking it in the oven! Also, the varieties are quite hardy, especially the Optimaras.
    I read an article by a writer named Dean Fosdick entitled,
    something like, Raising African Violets is like Raising Nostalgia. And there is the quote, "Violets are for remembrance."
    Linda, of course, you would have as your first violet the species! Start at at the beginning! I have thought about getting one for a long time.
    Brenna, I do have Starry Night Blue, mine is actually purple, Linda, would you concur? Brenna, I should have plants from it ready to go in the spring. If you want, check with me then. Around March or so. I will make a note to post when they are ready. I will also have others similar.

The advice given by experts is to decide on the number you can comfortably live with and stick with that number.
    Some of the plants can get quite large. My tastes changed.

BTW, the mysterious plant that bloomed I think is a George MacDonald.
    Joanne

• Brennacat
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I am pleased to say that I am having some luck after such a cold snap. About 75% of the leaves already have either mouse ears or small plantlings and I only lost 3 leaves out of about 90 .... I think the growth lights my husband set up have helped. I also had a small false start because I used paper cups for some of the leaves initially. That was a disaster but I traded the cups out for plastic ones and everything seems to be doing well..

I was just wondering what is the best size to allow the new plants to reach before I move them into pots? I am so excited that we are going to have a nice little collection of plants in the near future. Then I just have to get them to grow up and bloom.:)

It also taught me that I do not want to propagate so many leaves at one time in the future :). What can I say, in my excitement I could not resist ordering just one more lol.

Now I am trying to convince my hubby that he needs/wants to build me a greenhouse. So far that isn't going anywhere but :) I will keep trying. With so many beautiful varieties of flowers I know I will keep ordering more in the future.

• Karin
    10 years ago

Try asking him to install grow lights under the bed because you're running out of space... That should kick start the greenhouse project ;-)

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Brenna,

Let your babies reach the size at which you are comfortable handling them. Rule-of-thumb is when the leaves are about the size of a dime. There is no harm in letting them remain on the mother leaf past this time.

Linda