Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mold on potting mix

Posted by vall3fam 9 CentralCA (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 11, 07 at 16:23

With the lower temperatures lately and we haven't turned the heat on yet, some of my wicked plants have a fuzzy, fluffy white mold on top of the planting mix. None of the plants have any mold on them, and they don't seem to be affected by it. But I'm just concerned that maybe it will get out of hand and start on the plants.

My plants are all window grown and I am keeping the ceiling fan on in this room 24 hours now. The temperature is keeping above 65 degrees.

Should I be concerned about this mold and treat it in some way? Or is it just a symbiotic organizm that thrives on the potting mix and nothing else? What are some things I should do or spray if this is something I should worry about?

As usual, I await your expansive knowledge to lead me down the right road!

Elaine

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mold on potting mix

Don't worry about this too much. Just scrape off the top of the soil and discard.

This is caused by over dampness and lack of air movement.

Nancy

o

Nancy,
That is good to know! I thought I remember reading somewhere it wasn't troublesome, but I could just picture it taking over!
Elaine

o

Vall,
I had the same problem. I dripped a little Chlorox on a paper towel and dropped it into the bag. It cleared up the problem and hasn't harmed anything.
Krys

o

Hi,

Something that works surprisingly well is tinactin athlete's foot spray. Get the powder spray can. Then spray the soil about 6 inches away and it works like a charm. I have a can that I have had for years just for that problem.

Larry

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here