Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Bugs in African Violets

Posted by georgiapeach_2009 Vermont (My Page) on
Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 16:48

I have a small, long, narrow bug, light brown in color, that is less than 1/16th of an inch in the bottom of my African Violet pots. What can I use to get rid of them and what are they?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Bugs in African Violets

Hi,
Sounds to me like springtails, they are harmless and don't do any damage to your plants. The best thing you can do is to ignore them.
Fred in NJ

o

Fred,
Does Marathon take care of springtails?

Dora

o

• Posted by minimac 6 So In. Louisville (My Page) on
    Sun, Nov 15, 09 at 21:28

Knew this would come up again so I did a little research for what it's worth.

Here's a site for you if your bugs are springtails. I figured I'd get them sooner or later and would be prepared. LOL

I bought Ortho Ecosense Brand 3-in-1 rose and flower care, and Bayer Advanced Rose and Flower Insect Killer because they contain some of the active ingredients mentioned in the site below. Don't know if they work or not but I have sprayed them in the soil and on leaves of violets and no damage was done to plants.

Click on first fact sheet, scroll to Control.

Hope this helps.

Mac

Here is a link that might be useful: Springtails

o

Nancy R. lists in her book 3 possible treatments:

Malathion, one teaspoon per gallon of warm water
or
kelthane, one teaspoon per gallon warm water
or
bleach, one tablespoon per gallon warm water.

The solution you choose is applied as a drench, and she notes that the bleach solution will probably not give you 100% control and would have to be repeated. The other two will give you 100% control but stink.

Thank you Nancy!

Barbara

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here