Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
frank325

My purple blooms, and question on leaves while blooming

frank325
15 years ago

Here are a couple pics of my almost full blooming AV from Walmart. This is the one I got back in June, did a bunch of leaf cuttings, then let fill back in and bloom.

The question I had, since this is my first AV, is what affect on leaf development does the blooming have? I realize leaves won't be coming out as fast, but for those that are coming out, I see the blooms are kind of in their way. Do the leaves just work their way out naturally or what? The newest leaves are kind of all mashed in with the blooms, folded up and so on.

{{gwi:380369}}

{{gwi:380371}}

Comments (9)

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

Very pretty plant!

I would say to allow the plant to grow naturally. When there are so many flowers, the flowers do take away the energy from developing leaves and roots. But I would allow the plant to grow naturally for now.

Nancy

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I was. I was just curious what happened... do the new leaves just push their way through the flower stems over time? I can only assume that's the case.

• robitaillenancy1
    15 years ago

New leaves come in from the center. As long as the plant receives light, it should grow very well.

Nancy

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Okay no one is understanding my question :-)

Yes, new leaves come from the center, but the flower stems are surrounding the center, so when a new leaf starts coming out it runs into the flower stems and they start folding and contorting due to the flower stems in the way. That's what I'm referring to.

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

Frank,
    I had this similar situation with a few of my high blooming NOIDs. I left the blooms on for a few weeks and then once they began to brown, I removed the blooms.

What was below seemed to be a crinkled mess of a crown and I assumed it was because of not enough light to the crown (what was under the blooms). I groomed the plant, removed some of the outer leaves and put it back up under my light.

It took less than 48 hours for the leaves in the center to relax.

I don't think it harms the plant to be without that direct light for those few weeks. If your concern is great, you can always thin out the blooms so more light reaches the crown. I don't think it's necessary though.

I also wanted to add what great photography on that second image in the bloom. My daughter saw it over my shoulder and said, "Look Mommy, a fairy bed!"

Dora

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thanks Dora -- fairy bed, haha, cute.

• Christine
    15 years ago

I had the same question/problem with some of my AVs that have many blooms. What I found is that you can gently move some of the bloomstalks so that they aren't jamming up the leaves. Like Dora, I also found that messed up leaves recover very quickly once the dead bloomstalks are removed. I'd just enjoy the show. I love the beautiful shade of blue on your violets.

Donna

• nwgatreasures
    15 years ago

frank325 wrote :Thanks Dora -- fairy bed, haha, cute

Well, she is just 4 years old and is all about fairies right now.
    She asked for the picture to be printed out to put on her dream board in her bedroom. That's where she puts things that make her feel good.

Is that ok with you? (printing it out)

Dora

• frank325
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Sure thing, but to print it out you'll want the original, larger sized picture. Here are a couple more, including the one above.

{{gwi:380365}}
    {{gwi:380366}}
    {{gwi:380367}}
    {{gwi:380368}}

Sponsored
Custom Premiere Design-Build Contractor | Hilliard, OH