Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bjwilli88

Propagation

bjwilli88
13 years ago

Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and AV's. I have a couple of questions about propagating these beauties. I have a leaf cutting that's in small pot of vermiculite and perlite and I have it in a ziploc bag. Is the ziploc bag supposed to be opened or closed? Also, What kind of light should it be getting in this stage of the game? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!

Comments (7)

• tommyr_gw Zone 6
    13 years ago

Welcome! Close the bag for now. I usually keep them closed for about 1-2 weeks. Give them bright light, no direct sun.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Whereas I cover mine loosely with a cheap sandwich bag and then remove it after a bit (probably a couple of weeks or so).

I've seen varying opinions on light, including it doesn't matter at all, but I try to put them near a light source. I would avoid a very strong light. Later on, more light may be needed.

I guess the only difference is in how tight we seal that bag. Mine may need watered but better than rotting (not that I know of tommyr having that problem but a number of people seem to have issues).

Diana in PA

• cork_oh
    13 years ago

Tommyr

You ONLY leave your "start leaves" in the bag 1 or 2 weeks??

I always keep the leaf starts covered for 3 to 6 months. Often after the they are re-potted into their their own pot.

• Christine
    13 years ago

Hi and welcome to the forum! One of the things I like about African Violets is their adaptability/flexibility. You'll find many ways of caring for them and over time you'll discover which methods work best in your specific growing conditions. For example, I don't bag my leaves at all. I wick some plants on trays that contain fertilizer solution and the humidity around the trays is just fine for starting leaves. For now I'd recommend that you follow the recommendations of the others, but don't be afraid to try new methods as your own growing conditions change.

• quimoi
    13 years ago

Welcome to both the forum and AVs!

I could have and should have been a bit more specific. If the leaf is mine (thus replaceable) and seems reasonably sturdy, I might not cover it at all. If I paid for it or it's not replaceable, I cover it.

Since I normally have single pots, I use baggies and remove them when I think about it and when the leaves seem firm enough that I won't knock them out by bumping them. I imagine that roots have begun to form by then. If a leaf is not in such good shape, the bag will stay on longer. If (heaven forbid), it happens to wilt after I remove the bag, it gets replaced for awhile.

I feel that the leaves get babies faster once the baggies are off. Maybe it's just a notion or maybe it's my light levels. If I happen to do a tray (rare) I follow about the same process. I've been using store bakery cookie containers that snap shut (but don't actually snap them.)

Perhaps I misunderstood cork_oh or maybe we are talking about different things. Red Summit once sent up 15 babies and I would have had an AV forest in 6 mos. (I really think that is too many to let grow anyway. I should have thinned them.)

There are many different ways so good luck finding your best one!

Diana in PA

• bjwilli88
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you for all of the information. This forum is awesome!

• ryecooder
    13 years ago

hmmm I used to stick the leaf half way down in cactus soil and in about 2 weeks you can pull on the leaf slightly and see if it has roots.