approximately, shows species violets in a natural looking
habitat in a Royal Botanical Garden in Scotland that
Annie filmed when she was there and put on her podcast,

Enjoy!
Joanne

Comments (16)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

hope it ran better for you than me ... all audio at RBGS was really choppy.... but the rest of her podcast was fine ... lots of kids screaming ... but fun ... her show also was mentioned by JS in the latest issue of AVSA mag

dave

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    10 years ago

The audio was fine on my computer. Would JS be Jeff
    Smith? He has been on several of her podcasts.
    jo

• User
    8 years ago

I just found Annie's podcast online... and then I saw she had a link to Garden Web on there. Is she on this site? If so - I just wanted to say that I've enjoyed the two most recent ones I've watched. :-)

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Su, That is great! So glad to know you found them! I have not checked her site in a long time to see if she has made any new ones. When she first came out with them, several, perhaps many, of us faithfully tuned in on Sunday evenings! That is cool that she put a link to this site!

We don't know who reads this. It is a public forum, so anyone can read it without being registered. I don't think that Houzz keeps a list that they publish of who is registered.

Anyway, people have told me they read this forum, even though they don't post. I used to read it just for information, so I would read the old archives. There was a separate thread for trades that seemed to be active. But I was not interested in trading, I had enough friends to trade with, so i did not post for several years.

Then I began to post, ask questions, got great advice from two ladies in particular. It took me a long, long time to be interested in trading.

You jumped right in, which is great!

Joanne

• jonboyny
    8 years ago

Joanne, from what I understood, Annie's going to be producing regular podcasts again. Most of her podcasts are full of useful information. I'm glad she's back!

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Well, that is great! She had quite a fan club on this Forum, whether she knew it or not! Joanne

• aegis1000
    8 years ago

Yep ... Annie's starting her weekly podcasts again, ... after "neglecting" her violets for the 3-6 months that she had construction in her home. In the "first" episode of the new series of podcasts (#87), she says that she's down to 28 varieties Those that are left are dusty from the construction, and Annie thinks that they're in terrible shape.

You should see her neglected violets, though. Her species violets look amazing. And her Jersey Snowflakes is breathtaking ... at least 18 inches across. Likewise, her "Fresh Air". I considered Jersey Snowflakes last year, but ultimately reconsidered. It's now back on the list.

Some of her plant starts have grown to the point that they are blooming ... while still connected to the mother leaf.

What I liked most about the latest issue is that I got to see her plants in bloom. That was what was most frustrating to me about her podcasts ... that her process for SHOWING her violets in competition kept her plants out of bloom so much (through disbudding).

• User
    8 years ago
    last modified: 8 years ago

i tried to watch it yesterday... but it was all glitchy. i will try again today. i did get so far as to see the two immense violets on her kitchen floor that were supposedly in such bad shape! oh my! they were gorgeous!! i was amused that she thought they were so bad. :-P

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Su, Yes, Annie is in a different classification. She makes that clear in her initial podcasts. I have Jersey Snowflakes. Can send you a leaf later in the season once it is ready to spare a leaf. Joanne

• User
    8 years ago

Joanne - you are so generous!! How many violets do you have, I'm curious? Seems like you have everything I chance to admire! ;-)

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Hi Su, I will send a PM or an email as I have told my violet story before so I don't want to go on too long. All I can say is that Math fails, but as long as you can determine the size of your collection and the space you want to allot to it and the time, then just maintain that size. That is the advice given by those who grow a lot. You already do that, for every new one in, an older one you don't want gets donated. A club is the best way to share. j

• User
    8 years ago

got the PM... thanks!! ;) i dont know of any clubs in my area... the closest one is about 3-4 hours away. thats not an option! not to mention... i dont get much out of clubs. maybe i should? but its just not my style. i have considered seeing if the local garden center would be interested in buying some of my old ones cheap... but i dunno! :)

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

It took me many years to want to join a club, so I know what you mean. It has to be the right time of life, I waited til I had the time. Yes, 3-4 hours away is too far, it is not worth it! Everything they talk about can be learned on-line, anyway.

I did not have any luck in selling to a garden center, but the employees there were happy to take some extra violets off my hands for their own collections.

• fortyseven_gw
    Original Author
    8 years ago

Karin, That is so much fun for you! I remember when you had only your store bought Anthoflores (If I spelled that correctly), then suddenly, you were awash with all manner of intriguing violets from many eager to "adopt" you! It was fun to read about here!

That is what I like about a club, too! Although I usually just go home with one or two rare and exotic plants, because not too many people bring them to share. However, I usually bring so many to give away, that no one should complain when I snag the rare ones! I get there early, so I have a preview. Joanne

• Karin
    8 years ago

ah, but facebook turns out to be worse! i am shipping out five plants and am getting about a dozen varieties of leaves in return! after that i'll be down to (almost) only one of each variety, and still my shelves are full! oh what was i thinking? :-P

and you're right it is a far cry from having 5 varieties of NOIDs in quintuplicate....

Karin