Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
froeschli

The division crusade...

Karin
10 years ago

After reading a bit on how to make my African violets "happier", I decided to go and separate all my AV "twins" that had grown multiples from one leaf.
I ended up separating about 4 babies (into 8) and took out the tiny plants that were in with two of my 4" (pot size) store bought plants.
They all seem to be doing well, except for the tiniest one - it now has floppy leaves. Overall, 1 out of 10 wouldn't be too bad a loss, but I'd love to know if there's a way to help it. Do I just wait and see? And I read somewhere that damaged leaves are better than none, where my initial reaction would be to remove the floppy ones (at least the bigger ones).
As for the setup: African violet mix (no perlite or vermiculite added - it's on the list, but I don't want to disturb the roots any further), 1,5" pot. Sitting on gravel inside a modified aero garden, there is water below the top of the gravel layer to provide humidity. Light about 8-10" away (older bulbs). I water them when the top layer of soil gets dry, by submerging the pot (not the plant) in water, then letting it drain out into the gravel.
Thanks.

Karin

Comments (5)

• bragu_DSM 5
    10 years ago

welcome to the forum!

we have lots of friendly people here.

give your small one an IV bag. slip it in a baggie (ziplocks are great), seal it and tent it until it takes off.

you may be able to salvage it.

Get some perlite to cut your av mix.

again, welcome. feel free to post pix. we love pix.

dave

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Karin,

Damaged leaves are better than no leaves! (Yes, you heard it here.) Floppy leaves are still photosynthesizing, proving nourishment for the plant. There is also a balance between roots and leaf growth. Remove too many leaves and the balance is upset. A healthy plant will not be affected but a struggling one will. Those roots need as many leaves as they can get. Try to overlook the fact that they don't look good and only remove them if they are obviously dead.

The little ones often struggle to survive. As Dave said, bagging is the way to go. Bagging maintains a controlled environment so the plant can recover.

Linda

• Karin
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you Dave & Linda,

I couldn't find a ziploc bag, so I put it in a glass jar - it may be a bit big, but for now I'll leave it be...

This is my setup for now, the plan is to empty the shelf below and mount a fluorescent fixture to it. That would take care of my other violets currently on the windowsill. The front one I just bought yesterday, the one on the far right is a baby from the same batch as the small ones, but it's starting to bloom for the second time now, whereas the others aren't quite there yet (the difference in size between that single plant and the "twins" was one of the reasons for dividing them).

• perle_de_or
    10 years ago

I have done that with glass jars too, even glass bowls for larger plants. It always works for me with a stressed plant or if I am rooting a crown. The pot looks a little large so I would be very careful about watering. Just keep it damp (not soggy wet). I hope it makes it, it is a lot of fun experimenting and learning the amazing things these plants will do.

• PRO
    Whitelacey
    10 years ago

Echoing Perle...be careful about watering. You may not need to water at all while it is in the jar.

Linda

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County