Return to the African Violets Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New to AV's whats the best soil mix?

Posted by gardencraze 9b winter garden FL (cmcginnis3@cfl.rr.com) on
Thu, Nov 1, 12 at 18:02

I've been lurking around for the last week to learn about AV's. I went ahead and bought a few and I really don't know what I doin.
Some of these need to be repoted but I'm not sure what type soil to use.
Any help would be greatly appreciated
Thanx
Carmen

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New to AV's whats the best soil mix?

I use a 1:1:1 mix of peat moss, perlite, and vermiculite. The perlite and vermiculite should be relatively coarse (I aim for about 1/8"). All of my plants are wick watered, but this mix works for top and bottom watering as well, you'd just have to water more often.

Mark

o

I'm partial to the recipe Mark mentioned above, but I also water from the bottom (90% of the time) and from the top (10%) of the time.

That said, if you're considering using a wicking system, you'll want to go with something lighter such as 2 parts perlite, 1 part peat moss and 1 part vermiculite.

Furthermore there are others who prefer using coconut coir fibers instead of peat moss because it doesn't acidify like peat moss does when it breaks down, as well as it is more environmentally friendly. (peat moss can only be "mined" from peat bogs which aren't easily replaced).

o

I never recommend AV soil. IMHO it's WAY too heavy. I use peat moss and perlite, 50/50.

o

Mark, your mix sounds real good, I've not done the wick,but some of the ones I bought at the AV show were wicked so I think I'm goin that way.

Taxonomist I don't even know where to get that coconut stuff but I do have some peat from some other gardening project.

Tommy what is IMHO? LOL sorry I'm old and not hip wit these things LOL

Thank you so much for your help. I sure do have alot of work to do.
Carmen

o

I think you can safely use Miracle Grow AV soil if you mix it 50/50 with perlite. I have used this mix and it is ok as long as you mix in the perlite. . . try not to buy perlite with fertilizer in it as the MG brand has fert and the two might be too much. You won't have to fertilize for awhile with MG. Remember not to use pots that are too big. . . violets rather like snug shoes.

Terri

o

Thanx Terry, I'm so exited to learm all this stuff. I allways wanted to grow AV's but never had a place with the rite light, but now I have 2 huge windows with lots of filtered light.
carmen

o

Gardencraze,
IMHO means In My Humble Opinion.

o

Thanx, Tommy LOL
Is regular crochet yarn good for wicking?

o

Gardencraze, the yarn has to be an acrylic. Wool or cotton will rot. I also use the Miracle Grow AV mix and mix that with equal parts perlite.
Terri, the only perlite I have does have fert in it, so do you think my mixture has too much fertilizer? Thanks.

o

As regards too much fertilizer with the MG perlite, I really don't know if it is. I haven't used fertilized perlite with MG AV mix so have no experience. Perhaps someone who has used them together will respond. I really don't like the idea of fertilized mixes period, but MG is readily available & I know growers including myself have had success with it. I think you will just have to watch the plants to see their reaction.

o

MG perlite is "enriched" with fertilizer. the amounts on the bag are 0.04:0.01:0.06... quite negligible in my opinion. Only thing potential issue is that the nitrogen and phosphate are derived from ammonium nitrate and ammonium phosphate, but at the small amounts that is present, I'm not sure it'll really impact anything.

It's in this current batch soil I mixed up and I haven't noticed any problems yet. Everything is producing and blooming nicely at the moment.

o

• Posted by nyxx z7 Virginia (My Page) on
    Sat, Nov 3, 12 at 11:40

Welcome to our obsession Gardencraze, In regards to crochet yarn, as Perle said, it has to be acrylic. Nylon works well too. For standards I find baby wt. yarn works well. For minis maybe size 5 or 10. You can use bamboo yarns and threads as they are in reality a polyester.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the African Violets Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here