Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
minimac_gw

Good Greif, Mr. Cook is at Convention and I just found Thrips!!!

minimac
14 years ago

I Guess this never ends... I was looking over some isolated plants and found thrips. Have two isolation rooms at this time upstairs,but doors have been opened. Anyway, saw him (thrips) on one plant. Have read some back posts as what to do, but a bit confused, and I'm going out of town tomorrow and have function this evening. So, for now I guess I take all blooms and flowers off - that's a given. I do have Neem also Bayer Rose and Flower Insect Killer with B-cyfluthrin 0.0015%,imidacloprid 0.0120%. And Ortho ecosense-brand 3-in-1 rose and flower care, with Sulfur 0.20%, Pyrethrins 0.01%. So when I get back I'll put them in a box or big bag with a No Pest Strip for 24 hrs to kill flying adults if any. You think any of these sprays will work or do you suggest something else. And I should spray once every 3 weeks.

Left Mr. Cook a message to call me. I was going to get some Concerve and use it, but perhaps I should try sprays first. Haven't added Marathon to these yet for mealie pervention. Might as well order Avid, too, at least I'll be prepared for mites when I get them - "cause they will come" eventually - hope not, but at this rate I'm looking at next month.

Suggestions as what to do? or what you'd do, or what you've done?

Mac - just a little down

Comments (11)

• nwgatreasures
    14 years ago

MAc....cheer up! There are worse things to have than thrips....(although they escape me now, LOL)

They're tough little buggers to get rid of once and for all.

when I had them, I removed all blooms/bud/anything that resembled a bud for over 10 weeks.

I treated the entire population with Conserve...sprayed the entire plant top of leaves and underneath and on the soil and then I prayed over the entire collection.

The hardest part was being able to "see" the new buds as they were popping up. It seemed like once I was wanting to remove them (buds) the plants went into high gear to produce them.

Getting rid of them required diligence more than anything else....patience :)

Dora

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Bagging the plants with a no-pest strip will kill the hatched thrips, but you can get an egg hatch after that. Re-bagging in 7 more days with the strip will take care of that hatch, and then one more time seven days later.

Keep disbudding until after the last bagging.

Barbara

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Barbara, that is a neat idea. I haven't heard it before, yet it seems like it's one of the better ideas I've read about. I'm not quite understanding the time frame, so please help me.

I think I'm not understanding if you leave the plant in the bag for 7 day increments or if you wait 7 days in between bagging.

I appreciate any help.

• korina
    14 years ago

There's always the hard-hearted method of throwing out plants with thrips. Unless it's a rare/expensive/sentimental variety, of course.

Korina, AV mass murderer

• lilypad22
    14 years ago

You can use a Rubbermaid bin with a lid or something like that and put several plants in, I think overnight is long enough?

tish

• lathyrus_odoratus
    14 years ago

Tish, if I am understanding you correctly, you'd put them in overnight for one night, then do it again in 7 days? Thank you for replying, I appreciate it.

• minimac
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's what I'm doing - putting them in Rubbermaid clear plastic bins. I'm going to do them all at once and don't have that many bins so some are going in bottom part of bin 17x29x6 and also top of lid and put a No Pest Strip in and enclose in a large trash bag.

From what I've read you leave in for 24 to 48 hrs. NOT just over night. Then take them out for 7 days and repeat. In total you do this 3 times. You must keep all flowers and buds off.

Mac

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Mac, you can store the no-pest strip in a airtight baggie between treatments. I find that it keeps it's potency longer that way.

Barbara

• wesley_butterflies
    14 years ago

break out the Neem befor bagging

• bspofford
    14 years ago

Wes, Are you meaning neem before bagging, or instead of bagging? I haven't found it necessary to spray with neem if bagging with a no-pest strip. I have used this method in the past and find 100% kill on any hatched thrips. I have left some blossoms on the plant as a test. I have been known to take my favorite box, with the no-pest strip in it in a baggie, and put any plants I acquire at a show or convention in it for the ride home.

Just don't forget two more treatments 7 days apart...

Barbara

• threas
    14 years ago

Great info, Barbara! Thanks!

Theresa

Sponsored
Grow Landscapes
Average rating: 4.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Planning Your Outdoor Space in Loundon County?